Metal/Rock Song

Your kick and snare sound kinda muddy and the crashes and hats sound really phasy and possibly a little loud.

Guits and bass sound o.k.

Is there a reason why the drums sound like they come in late? Like why do the guitars kick in andthe kit comes in like shortly after them?

Your kick and snare sound kinda muddy and the crashes and hats sound really phasy and possibly a little loud.

Guits and bass sound o.k.

Is there a reason why the drums sound like they come in late? Like why do the guitars kick in andthe kit comes in like shortly after them?

The reason the drums kick in shortly after the guitars is simply because I screwed up. Should have recorded the drums again. LOL :D Thanks for the feedback on the drums. Will go back and clean up the kick and snare. I will also look into lowering the cymbals in the mix. thanks again.

Agree with the previous comment about kick and snare... The cymbals have a fade in? this could be a compressor issue. I have the Waves SSL and has the fade in option, ones i selected for error. So, if that's the problem, is easy to solve, if not... mmm, don't know what could be.

Agree with the previous comment about kick and snare... The cymbals have a fade in? this could be a compressor issue. I have the Waves SSL and has the fade in option, ones i selected for error. So, if that's the problem, is easy to solve, if not... mmm, don't know what could be.

thanks, I will take a look at that. I did apply a compressor to the overhead mics.

Ok then the problem might be the settings for the compressor... you should use a fast attack and a low release, the rate depends on you, i try to keep it low (3:1) to avoid boosting the other drum pads. Also a filter is recommended, kill the frequencies under 500 - 800 hz, if you want of course, sometimes they are cool, sometimes they aren't. That should do the trick.

Ok then the problem might be the settings for the compressor... you should use a fast attack and a low release, the rate depends on you, i try to keep it low (3:1) to avoid boosting the other drum pads. Also a filter is recommended, kill the frequencies under 500 - 800 hz, if you want of course, sometimes they are cool, sometimes they aren't. That should do the trick.

thanks again. I made the changes to the overhead mics. Sounding better. I think the room mic is screwing up the mix. Any suggestions on how to clean that track up or should I get rid of it?

Sounds like you need a good dose of high-pass filtering on the kick, snare & possibly the bass & guitar even. Everything is very bottom heavy - all that sub-bass is probably eating up your headroom too. Cleaning up the those sub frequencies will clear things up in general a lot.

The bass needs to be punchier - bring up the highs and take out the sub-bass. Also, the drums are too far back the mix....they need more treble too.

I quite like the dirty, edgy guitar sound, though.

Ooh, one other thing - the rhythm is a bit dodgy in a few places, as if the track is skipping.

Is "(unmastered)" a subtitle? Like a song called "Ooh Baby (Baby Tonight)" or something like that? :D

I agree on the cymbal sound. It's over-dominant and over compressed.

Guitar tone sounds cool.

I like the breakdown and buildup near the end.

IMO, bring down the low freq for the kick and add some hi freq to sound a little wet and punchy. the bass is too much on its low end also so perhaps it needs a tad of mid freq.. then I would thicken the snare and the guitar.

I like the song idea. I wish you had the vocals in to see how in comes together. The drums were a bit sloppy too. However, at low volumes I'm hearing a bunch of noise cutting in and out - like a noise gate that's gone haywire. It's real distracting and not good for the mix. It doesn't look like anyone else mentioned this...strange. I checked some other artists songs on the same system and they sound fine. I heard all three of your mixes and it's there.

Back