Metal heads please view!!

Tukkis

It's been months since my last post in the clinic.
Here is a band I recorded recently. Their style is progressive metal.

Change

Please give mix tips as I dont really care for the performance as the music is not my style.

Thanks a ton!!
Tukkis:)

Hey Tukkis. Sounds huge. You've done some really nice work. My biggest complaint (the only one, actually) would be the overall EQ....very Smiley Faced. I really think the mix could use some mids, but I'm famous for harsh mixes, lol.

Rock on.

The thing at the end was a cool little production gem. I liked it.

My biggest complaint (the only one, actually) would be the overall EQ....very Smiley Faced.
I agree with you there Chris. I had the guitarist here during mixing and he wanted to cut lots of the mids out especially on the guitars. I personally think it needs a bit more definition but I'm not the client.:D

Thanks for listening:D
Tukkis

Are you even out of high school yet? You have some seriously honed recording/mixing skills for ANY age, but I'm always taken back by how freaking young you are.

I'm 34 and the only "clients" I have want legal advice, lol.

It's good but the die out at the end is too long (25 seconds?). When it gets to the real fast die out like at around 5:08 its cool, but I'd have it going quickly as soon as you start to die out. Personal preference :D

Holy crap man. I'm new to recording and engineering, but I'm seriously impressed. Especially with the drum sound, top notch, and perfect for the genre. And if your as young as your info says you are, I think I'm just going to give up now and become a ditch digger. I'm 19 and don't think I'll ever be able to make this good of a recording :D

Are you even out of high school yet?
One more year to go

You have some seriously honed recording/mixing skills for ANY age, but I'm always taken back by how freaking young you are.
Thanks for the compliment. ;) I think it's because I started at an early age, 13. I also read heaps and research on this board and across the internet which helps clarify alot of dark areas which points me in the right direction to start off with so I'm not waisting my time doing somehting that only makes things worse.
In the end though practice makes perfect:D

Especially with the drum sound, top notch, and perfect for the genre.
Thanks but it was mainly the drumkit and the drummer(17yrs old). Both sounding good in the room which made it alot easier for me to record/mix.

And if your as young as your info says you are, I think I'm just going to give up now and become a ditch digger. I'm 19 and don't think I'll ever be able to make this good of a recording
Dont give up. There's hope for all of us. Just some need more time.:D

It's good but the die out at the end is too long (25 seconds?). When it gets to the real fast die out like at around 5:08 its cool, but I'd have it going quickly as soon as you start to die out. Personal preference
Totally agree. I thought it was way too long as well. I think it was going to be the last song on the album so they wanted to it have a wierd/annoying ending. Thanks for your input:)

Thank you all very much for your input/advice.:cool:
Keep rockin!!
Tukkis:cool:

not bad

yeah, this mix sounds very damn good to me, i don't personally like the snare drum sound very much, but everything else sounds very good, could use some more mids( i did read about the guitarist, but fuck him! haha...) Vocals are litterally perfect though. Very nice. By the way, how are you recording this?? Like what gear you got??

Personally, too much high EQ for me which muddles the sound.

Drum kit has the snare EQ'd to high to get any punch, and the same goes for the kick and toms. Cymbals sound great, but the EQ adjustment and some level control would work wonders in the whole mix.

Low end on the mix is lost completely, which might help bring out the bass plus add dimension to the tune. (see note below, it might sound great on your speakers...)

Guitar sounds mic'd too far away. Possibly the guitarist has too much FX on his rig to get an 'up-front' sound. Sometimes difficult, but if you can get a guitarist to drop the verb, delay, and some of the compression you can lay better tape and add that stuff in post.

Right at 2:32 it really sounds great. That's a great sound going on!!!

For the most part, the vox sound good. Last part of the song where the eerie background vox come in, sounds really, really good.

I'd bet the mix sounds great on your speakers. I always have a hard time finding the right mix that sound perfect on every pair of speakers. At your age, you fuckin rock, man. Don't be ashamed of this one at all.

Listening through it a 4th time, I have to say that 2:32 part sounds fuckin perfect! I'm sure I'll listen to this one a bunch more times, which is more than I can say about a ton of tunes!

Which school? And where in brisbane do you live? I am over in annerly, I would be happy to pay someone to do some producing down the track.

Cheers

I might add you to MSN if thats alright, and If your online have a chat about the CERT 4 in audio engineering at SAE in Milton.

I have been looking round for a good course.

Back