Metal Enough?

BB -
TOO MUCH like the guitar!
It sounds like an additional low guitar string.
In the pauses - where it have the opp. to stand up it doesn't really. Lots of middle low & lows but no definition.
My standard next step when I find it caught in the guitars is to give the bass a 2Db boost at 3Khz and a similar cut to the guitars in the same zone - just to give the bass a chance to give location clues etc. If that doesn't work then it's some serious EQ carving to give them all a zone.
Nice riff!

Well, I'm not a bass player at all, so I had no clue where to begin. It's been fun learning and listening more to bass in songs and just seeing talented some bassists are. :)

Yeah, I'm struggling with Reaper and learning to use it's plugins. They're really starting to make sense now. I'll be playing more with the EQ. I go with a defined bass and then with the rumbly bass. Split between the two. Would I like a death metal sound or would I like a power metal sound. 'Coz the bass is totally different sounding....

In the pause when you say stand up, you mean playign something else, or just sounds different with nicer EQ?

Either or!
But regardless of what you play in that space it'll need a little EQ'ing to shine.
Yeah - Death vs non is a big diff in bass & bass drum.

I think you have the right idea - listen to a bunch of bass stuff to get an idea what they play. With time you will develop a bunch of riffs that you can play within the chords. Mike (my bass player) has a lot going on between chords and it's like a lead line/filler which works well in our arrangements.

This is probably the cleanest/most open metal stuff I've heard, it's got breathing room thank goodness. Good tasty riffs and snappy drumming. It's a great rocker. A little def on the bass should be all you need. This is the kin of stuff that goes well on TV shows for background stuff.

For example...."Get Ready to Rumble"....then your tune comes in...perfect fit....! :cool:

Love the intro...guitar sounds nasty. I dunno...bass sounded pretty cool to me, but depends on what sound you're going for. I can hear it plainly enough, and I think your playing sounds fine...

I don't know if you're going for a certain kind of metal but it sounds like an older style based on the guitar sound and the openness ido describes. I liked it!:)

I think you have the right idea - listen to a bunch of bass stuff to get an idea what they play. With time you will develop a bunch of riffs that you can play within the chords. Mike (my bass player) has a lot going on between chords and it's like a lead line/filler which works well in our arrangements.

This is probably the cleanest/most open metal stuff I've heard, it's got breathing room thank goodness. Good tasty riffs and snappy drumming. It's a great rocker. A little def on the bass should be all you need. This is the kin of stuff that goes well on TV shows for background stuff.

For example...."Get Ready to Rumble"....then your tune comes in...perfect fit....! :cool:

Well, thanks for listening. :) I'm not sure where to go next. I'd like to do the vox growly and stuff. So if going Death metal, I'll need lot more talent and speed. On the other hand power metal just needs more rumble and power. .... lots of talent .... skillzzzZZZ!!!!

Ok, when listening to shows like Gladiator when they do stuff in the back the metal music, I always think I wish I could play like that. So if you think this fits, maybe I'm accomplishing something towards that sound.

Thanks again for listening. :D

Love the intro...guitar sounds nasty. I dunno...bass sounded pretty cool to me, but depends on what sound you're going for. I can hear it plainly enough, and I think your playing sounds fine...

I don't know if you're going for a certain kind of metal but it sounds like an older style based on the guitar sound and the openness ido describes. I liked it!:)

Thanks for listening man. :) Glad you like it. Nasty? Hmmm.... I was kinda of going for really less distortion. In fact, I only turned the volume knob halfway to get less dist and noise. Also the pedal itself is kept on a thicker sound to keep is cleaner than more noisy. Without a noise gate and better PUPs, it felt better to be able to play parts with many duh duhs and still get a neater guitar sound.

In terms of kind..... well either power metal or death metal'ish. Like I said before. But the problem is those two are very different. At the current skill level, I might have better luck towards power metal. :) Older is definitely not what I was going for. I might have to add something more to it.

Thanks for listening. :)

I think if you're going for a more modern sound, you'll have to scoop the mids a bit more. Not a ton, like all the nu-metal presets on amp sims have, but you'll want to a little. I think it's a good approach to not turn the distortion up to 11. I like to play with my distortion up pretty high, but when I record, I bring it down quite a bit.

I think it's off to a good start. I usually go through about 12 versions/mixes before I'm happy with the sound (or bored with the song).

Thanks for listening man. :) Glad you like it. Nasty? Hmmm.... I was kinda of going for really less distortion. In fact, I only turned the volume knob halfway to get less dist and noise. Also the pedal itself is kept on a thicker sound to keep is cleaner than more noisy. Without a noise gate and better PUPs, it felt better to be able to play parts with many duh duhs and still get a neater guitar sound.

In terms of kind..... well either power metal or death metal'ish. Like I said before. But the problem is those two are very different. At the current skill level, I might have better luck towards power metal. :) Older is definitely not what I was going for. I might have to add something more to it.

Sorry, I should have been more specific...:). I meant nasty in a good way meaning tough and angry sounding. In this case specifically because of the sort of low end growl...which I like :).

Cool riff idea. I'm not liking the guitar tone too much. It's kind of dark and cheap sounding. It sounds like it was recorded direct. I think the bass will stand out more with a better guitar tone that's not so middy and muddy. I like the song though. Can't wait to hear it more developed.

I think if you're going for a more modern sound, you'll have to scoop the mids a bit more. Not a ton, like all the nu-metal presets on amp sims have, but you'll want to a little. I think it's a good approach to not turn the distortion up to 11. I like to play with my distortion up pretty high, but when I record, I bring it down quite a bit.

I think it's off to a good start. I usually go through about 12 versions/mixes before I'm happy with the sound (or bored with the song).

bozmillar - Thanks for listening. :)

Some good tips on the guitar sound. I will make an attempt to do that and see how it sounds. 12 mixes? LOL. I usually go around 500 takes before I have a complete spliced version I am kinda of ok with. By then my hearing is shot and I'm used to the song anyway. Mixing is a month long thing after that. :D

Cool riff idea. I'm not liking the guitar tone too much. It's kind of dark and cheap sounding. It sounds like it was recorded direct. I think the bass will stand out more with a better guitar tone that's not so middy and muddy. I like the song though. Can't wait to hear it more developed.

Greg - Thanks for listening. :)

Knowing you taste, I have to take your opinion seriously. The guitar, Dark? Check. Wanted that. Rarely do I get something from a tone that I intend. :) Cheap? :eek: Not really wanted. Anything specific that makes it sound cheap? You sure it's not my uneven playing in the intro....?

Sounds like it was recorded direct? But mic'ing it will take long and wake the neighbors. Hmmm..... middy muddy. So you're also voting for scooping out some mids..? Or low mids?

Being a drummer, you must have seen an atrocity of my drum programming. :)

Also - I have been going around singing No woman no cry. And it's annoying me. That's the only line I remember from the song. So all I was doing for a while was No woman no cry...... no woman no cry..... no woman no cry.... I was driving myself crazy.

second that. cool riffage!

the bass sounds good too. i like twin bass/guitar parts. maiden did that alot and they rule. :D

second that. cool riffage!

the bass sounds good too. i like twin bass/guitar parts. maiden did that alot and they rule. :D

castlerock - Thanks for listening. :) Yeah true Maiden did a lot of matching stuff but they play twice as fast and on tempo. Man they rock!

Greg - Thanks for listening. :)

Knowing you taste, I have to take your opinion seriously. The guitar, Dark? Check. Wanted that. Rarely do I get something from a tone that I intend. :) Cheap? :eek: Not really wanted. Anything specific that makes it sound cheap? You sure it's not my uneven playing in the intro....?

Sounds like it was recorded direct? But mic'ing it will take long and wake the neighbors. Hmmm..... middy muddy. So you're also voting for scooping out some mids..? Or low mids?

Being a drummer, you must have seen an atrocity of my drum programming. :)

Also - I have been going around singing No woman no cry. And it's annoying me. That's the only line I remember from the song. So all I was doing for a while was No woman no cry...... no woman no cry..... no woman no cry.... I was driving myself crazy.

By "cheap" I just mean it doesn't sound natural or like an amp was mic'd. It has that kind of fuzzy sound that direct recorded guitars sometimes have. It's not terrible, I just think the guitars would sound better with a more natural feel to them. You can try scooping some low mids, but I don't know if it will help. If you like the guitars, then by all means rock on. It's your song. These are just my opinions. A little more air and sizzle will make the guitars really punch you in the throat. :)

By "cheap" I just mean it doesn't sound natural or like an amp was mic'd. It has that kind of fuzzy sound that direct recorded guitars sometimes have. It's not terrible, I just think the guitars would sound better with a more natural feel to them. You can try scooping some low mids, but I don't know if it will help. If you like the guitars, then by all means rock on. It's your song. These are just my opinions. A little more air and sizzle will make the guitars really punch you in the throat. :)

Sure I like them. But I get used to them. I still go to some tracks that I did when first starting out and just think how amateur the recording is. But on the second listen and so on, I find I'm diggin' it and can't find anything I'd do differently.

So it's helps to hear an objective opinion. So, natural meaning ... try to mic it? That can be arranged. I just have to err..... bring my amp in the loop. And find my mic. And do a bunch of test takes to check placement of the said mic

It might also sound cheap because it's using my Fender Squire, with it's intro level student level pickups. Fuzz is the guitar middle name. I do have an Ibanez ... but the darn floyd rose would be a nuisance to fix when going drop D. As is, it's annoying to tune. :)

So don't hold your opinion back, it's valued highly!

Sure I like them. But I get used to them. I still go to some tracks that I did when first starting out and just think how amateur the recording is. But on the second listen and so on, I find I'm diggin' it and can't find anything I'd do differently.

So it's helps to hear an objective opinion. So, natural meaning ... try to mic it? That can be arranged. I just have to err..... bring my amp in the loop. And find my mic. And do a bunch of test takes to check placement of the said mic

It might also sound cheap because it's using my Fender Squire, with it's intro level student level pickups. Fuzz is the guitar middle name. I do have an Ibanez ... but the darn floyd rose would be a nuisance to fix when going drop D. As is, it's annoying to tune. :)

So don't hold your opinion back, it's valued highly!

Yeah that Squire may be part of the problem. Single coils? Humbuckers will probably sound better for this kind of music. And yeah, Floyd's are a bitch.

There's nothing wrong with direct recording if you have a good modeler or software. But again, if you like the sound you have now, then run with it. It's your song.

Yeah that Squire may be part of the problem. Single coils? Humbuckers will probably sound better for this kind of music. And yeah, Floyd's are a bitch.

There's nothing wrong with direct recording if you have a good modeler or software. But again, if you like the sound you have now, then run with it. It's your song.

Might have to just buck up and change the strings on the Ibanez and set it to drop D while at it. It's the darn locking mechanism that's annoying. The strings go out pretty regular but the unlocking locking gets old.

I've recorded a few things with the Guitar Rig demo and those are hands down the best FX/modeler combo I've tried so far. Definitely will buy that some time. It's nice to be able to post here and get feedback and to also see what others do. It's all good encouragement. :)

I'm gonna try to redo this with mics and changed out drums.

Thanks for your comments, man. :) I really do appreciate them.

Back