Messing with my tone!

Mr. C

I've got the beginnings of a band going on and tonight I was really irritated. The bassist who also plays guitar said my tone sounded too muddy and asked if he could adjust my eq pedal. Then throughout practice he kept messing withy eq aNd asking me to adjust this and that. I play through a peavey c30 with a 2x12. I think my tone is Heavy on the bass side, but it sounds good to me. I never had anyone else complain about my tone. Anyways just venting but comments are welcome.

Get a cab that projects out into the room better or position your 2x12 to project better. How do you have your 2x12 positioned? 2x12s are usually low and flat and sound dark as you move away from them. Point it right his ear then see what's up.

Also, tell him to go fuck himself.

Doesn't sound like a good beginning to a band, but the comments about the speakers are right on make sure you've got the thing pointed so you (and he) can hear it correctly. a 2x12 on the floor aims all its sound at your legs, and the highs get lost.

You both need to drop your preconceived notions about "good tone" and actually listen to the overall mix. Doesn't matter one damn bit what the guitar sounds like by itself. Does it work in context? If not, then why? Maybe his bass is too bright!

You both need to drop your preconceived notions about "good tone" and actually listen to the overall mix. Doesn't matter one damn bit what the guitar sounds like by itself. Does it work in context? If not, then why? Maybe his bass is too bright!

Haha maybe. You know, I agree with it all having to work together, but it does matter what the guitar sounds like by itself. Bass too. I think that as long as each sounds "good" on their own, then you don't have to do any EQ jockeying to make them work together. Bass and guitar are obviously two very different instruments. They'll naturally work together.....as long as they don't sound like ass to begin with. And I know ass is subjective, but ass is ass.

Haha maybe. You know, I agree with it all having to work together, but it does matter what the guitar sounds like by itself. Bass too. I think that as long as each sounds "good" on their own, then you don't have to do any EQ jockeying to make them work together. Bass and guitar are obviously two very different instruments. They'll naturally work together.....as long as they don't sound like ass to begin with. And I know ass is subjective, but ass is ass.

Yep, get all the ingredients right and the pie tastes good. One bad ingredient and the pie tastes bad...

The point here though is that the guy was not the chef he was one of the cooks...

Might be time to add a taser to your pedalboard.

That will keep bonehead bass players from fucking with your tone, guaranteed!

Prolly won't stop the drummer from hitting on your girlfriend.

Might be time to add a taser to your pedalboard.

That will keep bonehead bass players from fucking with your tone, guaranteed!

Prolly won't stop the drummer from hitting on your girlfriend.

You'd still be better off telling him to turn down, step back and STFU.... after he has paid you of course.

It would be worth skipping the crappy band payday to watch the bass player flop like a fish out of water.

"Touch my EQ again! I double-dog dare ya!"

Thought I should finally reply after all the comments. The next day I turned my amp on and played a few chords and just couldn't stand what I was hearing. To me it's just too harsh. So went back and fixed my eq to the smiley face and I was smiling myself. Sweet tone. By the way, my 2x12 cab is a slant cab, but I do stand in front of my amp in practice so maybe that was the problem.

The 2X12 cabs sound/project more, much better; when they are on stands.

Good stands aren't very pricey, or build your own stands.

Back