Mesa Boogie

Toker41

Better Than You
Just picked up a Road King combo cheap! $1400! I've always been a half stack kinda guy, but I'm ready to convert. I'm not seeing any advantage to having a Dual Rec half stack over this 2x12 combo. Might make a difference when it comes to recording, but I'm not even convinced of that. Any opinions on 2x12 vs. 4x12?

Might not matter in some setups but I always liked being able to stick the cab somewhere isolated and still having the head in the "control room" easily accessible. Obviously can't do that with a combo.

Might not matter in some setups but I always liked being able to stick the cab somewhere isolated and still having the head in the "control room" easily accessible. Obviously can't do that with a combo.

Yes, but the beauty of a combo is you can always hook it up to a different cab if you wanted to. So, it being a 2x12 I'd get another 2x12 so you can isolate it in the studio and still run a "half stack" if you really wanted to.

I have that same amp (I assume it is a version 1, no way you got a RoadKing 2 for 1400).

I love it! I have never had an amp that did so many different things so well. A lot of times you sacrifice tone for versatility. Not in this case!

Progressive linkage and cabinet switching rules. I have the channels 1 and 2 setup for EL34's and running into the open back combo cab.

I have channel 3 setup with 6L6's going through an external mesa 3/4 back cab, and I have channel 4 setup with 2 EL34's and 4 6L6 going through the 3/4 back cab.

I paid 1000 for mine ;). To be fair though, the tolex on mine is in bad shape. You can actually see the wood on the back in some spots.

There are a couple issues I have with the combo though. ANd for that reason I actually went ahead and built a head cabinet for it and have tranfered the electronics from the combo to my seperate head cab.

The problem I have with the combo is number 1, the thing weighs over 100 pounds. It is a bear to move. I don't have a truck or van, I have a car. And it really tears up my car when I have to move it.

Number 2, which really relates to number 1, is that since I mainly play through the external cab, it's like I had a 100+ pound amp head.

I finished moving the electonics to the head cab I built. I am waiting on a tread plate I sent away for to use as the faceplate. Plus, the fact that the tolex on the amp was in such bad shape made it an easy decision.

You got a killer amp there. Enjoy

Back