MD vs Zip Disk recording

SimonTemple

I have been working out of a studio and recently decided to do some of my electronica project from home to save money. I have a guy with a great deal on both a Yamaha MD4 and VS-840ex. Which is better for home recording, media pricing and over all value?

Yo Simon of Simplicity:

If your Roland Box does 24 bit recording, it's better than the MD 8 or an MD4; however, the MD 8 is easy to use and even with a ratty instruction manual, you can get around the box with the help of this site and other sites.

I use the MD 8 and it gives me a decent performance but I know the Roland 24 bit boxes can do better. Depends on your needs?

I think the Roland 890 box is what you might want to look at.

But, if you want to remain simple, the Yam MD8 is a good buy. If you follow the trade mags and the catalogs, the MD8 box has NOT DROPPED IN PRICE FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS; whereas the Roland boxes keep dropping in price as a new model is introduced.

Listen in and decide.

Green Hornet

Simon -
I bought the MD4 when it first came out, and after using a Tascam 4 track for years it was quite a difference. Much cleaner, no hiss, etc. BUT - the MD4 uses Atrac compression which throws away some data to reduce file size, and it is AUDIBLE, especially after you bounce tracks. Also, the MD4's pres are lousy, you will need a good mic pre with it.
The Roland is not compressed, and gives you "virtual tracks", which the Yamaha doesn't. Alaos, those ZIP disks can be easily downloaded to a computer, whereas the Minidisc has to be recorded via analog I/O. If I were faced with your choice, I would get the Roland. Good luck!

Bob

thanx

I ended up getting the VS-840ex. I love it!!! the manual is useless though (as with all Roland equiptment). I could only fit about two song per Zip. This thing is great thanx.

Back