MD-8's Mic Pre's

happy hour

Hey, exactly how good are the two mic pre's on the MD-8. probably not as good as the pre's on a mackie board obviously, but how do they sound on vocals? anyone tried them with a grand piano? thanks...

mic pres

I have not compared the md8 with the mackie, but the md8 pres are pretty good. I bought a art mp to warm up the sound, but after comparing with and without, i mainly use the art for the unbalanced channels, giving me phantom power and XLR on 6 more channels.

Yo HAPPY HOUR: [AND IT IS THAT TIME RIGHT NOW; SO, RIGHT AFTER THIS POST, I INDULGE -- MARTINI TIME.

As to your question about the mic pres on the MD-8, They are all right. You can do some nice stuff once you get the hang of the gear.

I also use the ART mic pre to "warm" up a vocal; however, I've run everything from piano to flute through the ART; it's a matter of taste and ears.

The MD-8 does a pretty good job and it's not difficult to use. Notice that the price is not dropping on MD-8's; but, wait until the MD-9 or whatever comes out, and it will, we will have a box with improved sound and it will cost more $$$; but, that's Yamaha.

Enjoy,
Green Hornet

the Mic pre's on the md8 are nothing to get excited about. I still use them anyway, though.

I have mic'd a grand piano, and it sounded pretty darn good.
Just use the pre's as little as possible and you'll be fine. You shouldnt need them much for the piano anyway.

Back