Mastering with T-Racks

Incidently, if you re-read my first post -- you'll notice it was purely informative - providing URLs to give you the basics on mastering processing which apply REGARDLESS of the s/w involved... YOU decided to take issue with it for some reason..........

If you don't wanna get bit, then don't feed the bear. ;)

Last edited:
Aye, this is true.

He must have felt like he was getting the run around instead of getting specific help with t-racks. Patience is a virtue.

The articles are great btw.

You're not hugnry are ya? hehe. just kidding.

Hey crimp don't worry about the attitude thing around this post, there are people that will give you a jump start and there are people that want you to figure it all out by yourself. You actually might be right on target with what you talk about , but to some people around here, they can care less. Want to see a great example check out the post on "good cables" where a simple topic can be turned around 180 to a possible sales endorsement lol. Its pathetic i know, but just remember to take it with a grain of salt and take the advice of those you can trust I guess.

The whole mastering thing is purely subjective though, there's no right or wrong way to do it, if it sounds bad then you did it wrong and if it sounds good then guess what.......you might be doing something right lol.......not much else to say. But if I were you I would do some reading on how people go about the process. Books aren't going to teach you everything either, have other people listen to your mixes and get their input as well......that i think is a great way to make it better.

Btw.......are you using RTAS/VST? or T-Racks stand alone? Personally I wouldn't go to the T-racks either......from my experience using both, I have had better quality mixes using the many tools Waves Gold offers, but thats just me.

Hi mr. bear........im back causing problems again lol...

zallen25 said:
The whole mastering thing is purely subjective though, there's no right or wrong way to do it
Now THAT'S a load of horeshit right there......!

(But that's ok, considering the source....... your inexperience comes shining through with that one single statement, salesguy.......)

Blue Bear Sound said:
First off... read up on mastering HERE....

Then read some of his articles at his site...

Then if you need to, come back and ask the question again!

First of all Mr. bear, I'm sorry if I misunderstood your intentions. To me it sounded like you were saying don't ask any questions unless you know a little about what your talking about. To you it may have sounded informative, but on this end it sounded rather haughty. Second of all, if you reread my second post to you, I never said anything other than I have a new toy and I'm trying to learn to use it. You were the one who poked fun of my '80's dialect and rolled your eye's at me! BTW- I bite back.
Greg

Absolutely nothing wrong with 80's dialect man. It's era that spawned much progressive rock (my fav) and the dialect is basically an extension to the shit hippies where saying in the 60's. There isn't anything wrong with the 60's in that respect now is there. I've met many 26~38 year olds use that type of dialect. Personally, I relate to it.

Maybe I should do something diferent .. yeah i know ...

"Yo, yo, what's chililin homey?"

LMFAO.

zallen25 said:

Btw.......are you using RTAS/VST? or T-Racks stand alone? Personally I wouldn't go to the T-racks either......from my experience using both, I have had better quality mixes using the many tools Waves Gold offers, but thats just me.

Thanks. I'm using the standalone version. I'm sure you guys are right, T-Racks is probably not the best way to go, but hey, ya gotta play the hand you've been dealt!
Greg

crimp said:
Thanks. I'm using the standalone version. I'm sure you guys are right, T-Racks is probably not the best way to go, but hey, ya gotta play the hand you've been dealt!
Greg

Try the Waves man.

Malcolm

zallen25 said:
The whole mastering thing is purely subjective though, there's no right or wrong way to do it, if it sounds bad then you did it wrong and if it sounds good then guess what.......you might be doing something right lol.......
That’s a little bit of an oversimplification of the topic... its like saying building a house is purely subjective, if it falls down, you did it wrong, but if it stays up, you might have done it right.

The important things to know are what techniques are typically used to produce great masters (or houses). That’s where the guys with great experience come in….

I agree we should judge the work by the results and not the process… but as beginners and amateurs we should start with standard practice, and once we become adept at that, we can start to break the rules.

true......very true. I would love to sit down with some one (well experienced) during this process and take notes, but for now I'll just have to continue to develope my ears, and take criticism from my peers.

Thanks for the informative websites on the mastering or premastering process as you state. If you could recomend some good books or more sites on this information I would be greatful.

And Crimp, I won't tell you not to bark at the experienced ones, as for I not to long ago was also jealous of thier vast knowledge on something we know almost nothing about. Don't worry, after being really into it for 6-10 years you start to get somewhere man.

The home recording boom is a beautiful thing but the marketing of the products for this sector of consumers would have you believe technology can replace experience. In other words, it creates an environment that permits laziness in the guise of "experimentation". Can anything be more repugnant to an engineer?

Engineers are precise bastards, crimp. They believe firmly in standard practices and they don't take kindly to the spreading of misinformation. And these are their good traits.

The best combination in recording would be a creative sort whose inexperience creates a fresh insight and the seasoned engineer who maintains an even level of quality. For us home recorders we have to find a way to wear both hats--and that means cultivating our own inner, cranky anal bastard. :-)

I have more respect for people who brown nose the ‘pros’ then those who disrespect them or disregard their importance here.

The first thing you should have said Crimp is thank you. Even if you did not get the info you wanted, you should have recognized that someone trying to help in any way is a pretty fucking good thing.

Gunther said:
I have more respect for people who brown nose the ‘pros’ then those who disrespect them or disregard their importance here.

The first thing you should have said Crimp is thank you. Even if you did not get the info you wanted, you should have recognized that someone trying to help in any way is a pretty fucking good thing.

Look, if your idea of respect is letting someone disrespect you just because they are a "pro", then that's your business. But that is not my idea of respect, and I will not roll over and play dead just because someone is a "pro". Everyone deserves respect around here. If you go back and read my posts, I did not disrespect anyone until I was disrespected. I came on here asking a simple question, and all of a sudden I'm given smart alec answers. And when I defend myself, I'm attacked by 3 or 4 more people. Go back and read it for yourself and then GET OFF MY BACK!

Mastering is subjective.

Its subjective because no song is ever the same and the right way to do mastering depends on the mastering engineer?
Ever heard of WOMP? And whats the purpose for WOMP? Its to share the different techniques and approaches to mastering. Not only the equipment choice, but the signal chain. Lots of variables make sure the level of subjectivity remains high. Send it to 10 different ME's and youl get 10 difference Mastering Jobs. Some you will like ..some you will not. Want proof? Find out who the Mastering Mafia is...youll have proof soon enough.

SoMm

Back