Mastering Plug-Ins

I have to agree that there is no Mastering Plugin that fixes a bad mix. I don't have a good acoustic room for mixing. So, I spent a lot of money on monitors that really never sound good. However, through experience and hours of practice, I know how it should sound in my room in order for it to sound decent on a regular stereo. The best tip would be to know your equipment and know your space. Keep making test CDs and working out the issues and the once you have something that sounds decent on a stereo listen to it in your room on your monitors and compare the differences.

That said...

Here are some plugins that I like and don't like.

I don't care to much for IK Multimedia TRacks. All of it's preset mastering chains just make everything sound overdriven and tinny. You can adjust the individual plugins to get a decent sound but it is tough. I find it is much easier to dial in sound on outboard equipment than it is with plugins. There are some decent plugins though. I do like the TRacks 3 Vintage 670 Compressor. I also like their CSR Hall Reverb plugin. Both of these are fairly musical. I like some of the mastering plugins that come with Logic Studio. I also like most of the Wave Arts plugins. They are useful and do actually do a pretty decent job.

Again, even when using these plugins, most of the presets are for sh!t. You have to really play with them and figure out what they are good for. They have a fairly limited set of applications. So, you need to figure out what sound you are going for and then determine which plugin is good for what. It's just like rack gear. You can't buy one preamp for every instrument. It just doesn't sound right when everything is recorded the same. It ends up sounding flat and there isn't much depth. In most cases with rack gear and with plugins, I like to go overboard and then dial back. I like to overdo it a bit to figure out exactly what the plugin or gear is doing and then dial back until I have it at a level where I can hear the effect of the gear but it isn't dominating the track. The whole idea is to blend things together so that they all exist in their correct place in the song.

These guys aren't elitists or snobs, they just have a lot more time invested in it and they work with much more professional gear than you or I. That doesn't mean that you can't achieve a nice recording with what you have. You just have to practice and become proficient with your own equipment.

Good luck.

Well.... Todd Rundgren mixed his latest album "Arena" with headphones and it didn't turn out bad, He did it out of necessity though, his pro tools set up wasn't working properly so he had to record on his laptop using reason.

I personally wouldn't do it.... I imagine he probably had a high end set of cans.

I mix almost everything first with a pair of AKG K240s and I love them. I have a really nice set of Yamaha HSM80s for monitors and they might get a quarter of the use that my headphones get. I find my headphones are more accurate now that I have been using them for years and have figured out their sound.

i find plug-ins useless. however what i find useful are my ears, EQ, compressors, good/flat monitors and a room with good acoustics. im not a pro mastering engineer but i do some work for my own songs only.

You want to go hardware instead of plug-ins. Check out the Funk Logic Algorythmic Prosecutor
I LOVE that thing. A 2U hardware unit that emulates all of the the very best software plugs out there. It's Ozone emulation is uncanny.

But it's no match for the Heuristic Defender; it's special transistorized emulator circuit for emulating a software synthesis of a tube hardware circuit is uncanny. It sounds *exactly* like a bad software emulation of a tube preamp.

For those who love good ol' hardware but want the sound of bloated, unnecessary, object programming for the inappropriate quasi-mastering of bad mixes, these boxes can't be beat!

G.

For those who love good ol' hardware but want the sound of bloated, unnecessary, object programming for the inappropriate quasi-mastering of bad mixes, these boxes can't be beat!

G.

I have a Zildjian "breakbeat" 18" ride cymbal. It was designed to emulate the sound of sampled cymbals. To quote Dave Barry, I am not making this up!

I have a Zildjian "breakbeat" 18" ride cymbal. It was designed to emulate the sound of sampled cymbals. To quote Dave Barry, I am not making this up!
:D. It gets my head spinning when I consider sampling that cymbal and seeing how well it emulates a sample of itself ;).

G.

:D. It gets my head spinning when I consider sampling that cymbal and seeing how well it emulates a sample of itself ;).

G.

So when I find penguins inside of my speaker cabinets and all of the water starts running back up into my faucets, I'll assume you tried it out and broke the space-time continuum.

Last edited:
I am very new to this!

Some of you guys are viscous, rude elitists. Thank you.

Yes, a few people in this form are viscous. It's something I've noted many times.

vis·cous   /ˈvɪskəs/ –adjective

1.of a glutinous nature or consistency; sticky; thick; adhesive.
2.having the property of viscosity.

As for the elitist thing, less so. It's just cuz you're new that some of them come across as elitist. Until you learn enough about mixing to recognize the usefulness of some of what's being said to you, you'll come across here as ungrateful. After you figure out enough about mixing to recognize the usefulness of some of what's being said to you, they'll come across as less elitist.

But some here are elitist, for sure. And viscous.:laughings:

It seems like you need to take that burned mix and listen to it on the system it sounds horrible on and figure out why... Go back into your studio after having plopped some money on treatments and correcting whatever issues it must have that cause you to not hear the issues at hand, and then sit down and take some time to rebuild what you believe is the perfect mix. Burn another mix and see how it sounds, and repeat until you get something good... Sucks to do it but that is the best way to learn... While you're at it you might check out some stuff about mixing and also work on that gear list a bit, you'll get there it just takes time...

So I just got done tracking and mixing a little EP for a project I've been working on with a friend.

We have been working in Logic and have a nice array of mics. We got the mix down to how we like it, put a limiter on the main stereo output track, for a tiny bit of mastering. Tweaked that up, played back, sounded great out of the monitors. Burnt it to a disc popped it in a few stereos around the house and damn, what a shock. Completely sounds like shit. I know that this is a common issue among people new to recording, especially with just such a minimal set up, and before you learn how to properly mix with your monitors.

Anyway, I am looking into mastering plug-ins, just for a little extra boost. I have been looking at Ozone, and was just curious if anyone has any opinions about it, or any recommendations as to one that you prefer.

Thanks

I am not sure whether OZONE is built around the same sourcecode algorithms as Izotopes mastering bundle that comes with SONY Soundforge 9.
I use this, and found that the multiband compressor, the Limiter, and the EQ are very good. The reverbs are short of DEPTH so I use others to compensate for this in combination. Its just a matter of getting the right Dry Wet Mix results.

The plugs mean sh*t and you already know that. Monitoring and listening skills are everything. Not just at the mastering phase either... Far more important during mixing and even more important during tracking.

You're not getting good translation. There isn't a plugin that fixes that. Listening and experience fixes that.

This is true. Translation is everything. If the program material is not translated properly it might not be mastered well. Although technology is getting to the point that you can take an old deteriarated recording, and digitally remaster it. The same might be able to be done with badly translated recordings, its just the time, effort, analysis, and application you put into it is very expensive, and time consuming. It's like taking an old black and white movie, and digitally converting it into full Color High Definition 3D Flim. Sounds impossible, but it will be the future.

to the OP

buy an old amp and a used pair of high end stereo speakers from a pawn shop...keep the bose speakers for watching youtube etc

only track or do edits with your headphones...theyre not meant for anything else

listen to a recording of a song in the genre you are recording/mixing...then play yours next to it

listen

listen

listen

why is your mix not matching this?

dump any track that you can hear an obvious fault in, dont try to "fix" it with plugins...if its shit its shit..

retrack

enjoy yourself..

as far as "mastering" though I have never attempted anything more than get a few tracks to a similar volume Id own a compressor, an EQ, a limiter, and maybe an inflator/maximiser of some kind...cant see a home recorder needing much more tools..all Ozone is is a combination of them

all imho and most likely wrong as Ill be told in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1........lol

if its shit its shit
Exactly this, you will NEVER fix your mix or 'enhance' it with plug ins, its like the software they sell that promises to double the RAM on your computer without any hardware. If its a bad mix and you are not listening to it right then you are going to get very poor results no matter what program you use to master it.

Back