mastering advice please

Melsi

Padawan
Hi im quite new to mastering as in the past i only really mixed my tracks and left them as that.

I now want to know what a mastered track will sound like so im sending off one of my tracks to get mastered.

Do i just need to give them 1 .wav file of all the vocals mixed together with the music or do i need to send them all the separate .wav files of each vocal take i did?

sorry if its a stupid question

Melsi said:
Hi im quite new to mastering as in the past i only really mixed my tracks and left them as that.

I now want to know what a mastered track will sound like so im sending off one of my tracks to get mastered.

Do i just need to give them 1 .wav file of all the vocals mixed together with the music or do i need to send them all the separate .wav files of each vocal take i did?

sorry if its a stupid question

Mastering, in the usual sense, is for stereo mix files. In some cases a client will send stems or submixes to give the ME more latitude in achieving a balanced final mix. What mastering Engineers typically don't do is take several raw vocal takes and decide which one(s) to use and what kind of editing and treatment is needed, and then mix it in with music. That's something you'd probably be better off having a mix engineer do, who will probably have better tools for that job and charge less to do it.

Back