master vol. VS. track volume

Cody Suit

likes Fast/Heavy music
is there a difference between track volumes and the master volumes when mixing?

example:

after recording, lots of stuff is maxing, so we turn master down a bit, then while mixing we turn the tracks up.

Should we try and keep the master at zero or does it matter?

"Should we try and keep the master at zero or does it matter?"

As far as I know, it doesn't matter. You can turn up the master or turn it down as much as you like, and as long as it isn't clipping, that's okay. But you know, I don't trust the software completely. So although I haven't heard any warnings about turning the master way up or way down, I try to keep it within a few dB of 0.

right now we got the master at -14dbs and a bunch of tracks anywhere from -14dbs to 7dbs

and thats just barely stopping the clipping. theirs still probably a few spots still cliiping.

How are you dealing with the levels on the individual tracks? Are you using compression? Are you using volume envelopes to bring down the peaks? Or are you leaving the levels as they were when you recorded them?

if you don't want to get too technical about things... do whatever it takes so that the sound isn't clipping.

Cody Suit said:
right now we got the master at -14dbs and a bunch of tracks anywhere from -14dbs to 7dbs

and thats just barely stopping the clipping. theirs still probably a few spots still cliiping.
I'd think that your tracking levels are WAY too hot if that's the case...

Back