Mary Ford’s 1961 Gibson Les Paul SG Custom found on Facebook Marketplace

I once saw Johnny Thunders guitar on ebay and it wasn't expensive. What I did want, and didn't have the money to buy was Jerry Nolan's pink drum set he used with the New York Dolls on ebay.

If Ford's guitar sold for $110,000 on ebay, then they probably sold it for more on marketplace. The plus there is, they keep all the money. They just needed the right person to see the ad. They did.

I always think ebay keeps about 20%. Pawn Stars paid $90,000 and sold it for $110,000. Ebay takes 20% which comes out to $88,000. Pawn Stars lost money. Or they at least did not pocket a cool $20,000 as the article mentions. 10% would be $99,000.

I'd be drooling over Ford's guitar. But, my #1 WANT guitar was Mick Ronson's Les Paul. It's been destroyed. It just looks like an ugly guitar now. I've wanted that since this album was released.
1685758730816.png1685758824701.png1685758749029.png

Squeeeeeeze another Humbucker in there, can't ya?

Yeah yeah...it came through Pawn Stars - where they sold it to an anonymous buyer - who I guess is the guy who put it on FaceBook Marketplace - I can't imagine what Gibson paid for the pleasure - at the Time of Pawn Stars they valued it $110K - but who knows what they bought it for - probably close to $50K - I have no idea what the guy who sold it got for the guitar - glad it's back in Gibsons hands - it's a guitar that Les Paul hated - and he resented his name being on what eventually became the SG - Mary Ford is not that well known - but she was a Gibson Guitar player - although at the time of the use - Mary Ford was decending into alchohoism and not selling much if anything - so the guitar is not much of an iconic status symbol.

Last edited:
There was an article years ago (I think from that guy) explaining why the side and back were sanded down. Removing the black from the guitar, just destroyed the look.

His playing Ronson's guitar (I think he also owns some of Mick's gear) reminded me of something I've said about Johnny Thunders, and Walter Lure confirmed it. Johnny got his set up to his liking in the studio. Walter asked can I play through it? Johnny gave him the guitar, and no matter how hard he tried, Walter could not sound like Johnny. There's magic in a player like Thunders and Ronson, it's not the equipment, it's the human.

As awful as that guitar looks. If I owned it, that multimillionaire would have had to give me all his money to get it. He's a multimillionaire. He'd probably have given him ten million at least. Horrible paintings from trash sell in the millions. This is probably in the top ten most famous guitars in rock.

That is GORGEOUS. The black around it, just can't be beat for style. That's how the Ronson guitar got ruined. They sanded it down to the brown.

Did you just sand it down? I have an 86 Black Standard. I brought it to a bunch of places to have it sanded down, and every place refused to do it.
This guitar is a 1980 Custom aka Black Beauty. I stripped all the hardware except tuners and had a luthier sand the top. We lost some of the yellowing in the binding but couldn't be helped. I had it clear coated at a body shop (for real) and then the luthier put it back together. Changed it to 50's style wiring and old style caps (not bumblebee$). I also copied Ronson's mismatched knobs. Including the $1800 I paid for the guitar all-in it was around $2500 or so. It would have been nice to start with a '68 two-piece top and such but way more pricey.

This guitar is a 1980 Custom aka Black Beauty. I stripped all the hardware except tuners and had a luthier sand the top. We lost some of the yellowing in the binding but couldn't be helped. I had it clear coated at a body shop (for real) and then the luthier put it back together. Changed it to 50's style wiring and old style caps (not bumblebee$). I also copied Ronson's mismatched knobs. Including the $1800 I paid for the guitar all-in it was around $2500 or so. It would have been nice to start with a '68 two-piece top and such but way more pricey.
I'm guessing you've had it for years. Because that's really cheap. It looks EXCELLENT!

Back