Martin & Taylor Users

musikman316

I was just wondering why? I auditioned a bunch of guitars this past weekend, and the Martin's and Taylors almost always came in dead last in their price range.

I played Kiso Klein, Huss & Dalton, Larrivee, Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Collings, Lowden, Morgan, and Santa Cruz, and was totally unimpressed with the price performance of the Martins and Taylors... and yes they were set up perfectly with brand new strings.

Is there something about these guitars I am missing or what?

Not that I want to bash you guys, I did like the Eric Clapton model and an all Koa Taylor, but all in all I was just not impressed.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Most of those other guitars you mentioned are top of the line no matter what they charge. Hell, the bottom line breedlove blows away most top of the line guitars from any mass produced manufacturer. Isn't it a great epiphany seeing that there is more out there than Martin and Taylor? There are so many handcrafted guitars out there that blow Martin and Taylor away and for the same or less money!

I've always known there was more out there. I personally own a Larrivee OM 09, and am in the process of buying either the Kiso Klein or a Breedlove Focus Koa. I just can't believe how many young players there are that can't believe that someone does it better. There was a young guy at my house about 8 months ago and he saw my guitar case. He asked if it was a Taylor, and when I told him no and showed him the Larrivee, he laughed and told me that I got ripped off and that it was a piece of shit.

I couldn't believe it, and when I tried to explain the whole handmade luthier thing he told me that no one plays guitars like that. I was in awe, is this what all of the major music publications are pushing, "Buy Bulk It's Better".

I personally don't read anything but Acoustic Guitar anymore because of how stupid the other magazines have gotten, but I had no idea that they were so narrow minded. And maybe they're not, but I have picked up most issues at my local newstand and flipped through them, and found the ads more appealing than the reviews or the articles. What a waste. Okay I'm ranting, I need to get back to work...

Later,
Musik

Oh and about the set up perfectly comment. All of the guitars are set up by the luthier at the guitar store, and are set up with an average setup, between what most players enjoy, so you can tell how the guitars rate compared to others. Just letting you know.

I haven't played a Martin in years that I would want to own. On the other hand, I love Taylor. I think they are easily the best mass-production acoustic available today, and the company itself is a model of customer service and brand equity.
That being said, I don't think it's any wonder that you found some of those hand-mades to be superior. There's a reason why those pre-95 PRS's and those pre-war Martins are highly praised. Hand-made is almost always better. So is free-range chicken.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I was pretty unimpressed with the low end Martins. That's why I bought a Larivee D03E. For the money they blow away a similar priced Martin.

Martin, Taylor and the other luthiers you mentioned all make great guitars. With all those choices, there's something for everyone.

musikman316 said:
I just can't believe how many young players there are that can't believe that someone does it better. There was a young guy at my house about 8 months ago and he saw my guitar case. He asked if it was a Taylor, and when I told him no and showed him the Larrivee, he laughed and told me that I got ripped off and that it was a piece of shit.

I couldn't believe it, and when I tried to explain the whole handmade luthier thing he told me that no one plays guitars like that. I was in awe, is this what all of the major music publications are pushing, "Buy Bulk It's Better".

*cries*

I understand why people have a problem with Martin in general. I think its because people have a tendency to play all sorts of styles of music. Finger picking on a D is not the easiest thing in the world, or the most tonally pleasing as compared to a OM. But I think the problem lies more in that Martin D has and always will be a guitar for country. THERE IS NO GUITAR WITH A MORE POWERFUL RYTHEM THAN A MARTIN. (sure you can take the blueprints and make a copy, but that is just Martin-Envy [the people that don't want to be a "pop" band, but want to be the biggest indie band]) Taylor is a great lead guitar and I love them, but on similar notes, Martin can't do lead like Taylor and Taylor cannot do rythem like Martin, but they work best together.

I suppose it's all a matter of taste. I have a couple of vintage Martins (a 1955 000-18 and a 1974 D-41) that are killer guitars. I also have a 25th anniversary limited addition XXV-GA Taylor. It's an incredible guitar. When I bought the Taylor, I did so based on sound and playability and not name. I picked it out of a crowd of everything from $5000 Goodall's down to $500 Seagull's. The Taylors don't sound "better" than the Martins and the Martins don't sound "better" than the Taylors. Just different colors. I will say the action on the Taylor does smoke the Martins.:D

I just wanted to add to the action comment. I like the action on the Taylors, but for the price, it isn't better than say, a Breedlove.

I must say though, the best action I have ever played was on a Manzer that a friend of the families had. If I had $7,000 (to start with) and wanted to wait 2 1/2 years, I would!!!! WOW!

Later,
Musik

It's next to impossible to characterize what a new Martin guitar is these days. They make about 200 different models in all price ranges.

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/model.php

I'm looking at 6-string steel string acoustic guitars with electronics under $1500 right now. You can't get any of those afficianado hand-crafted jobs for that amount. I tried out a couple Larivees, which to me had too weak a bottom, and Taylors, which did have smokin' action (because the fingerboard is so slippery) and a nice bright sound. But on balance -- and much to my suprise -- the new Martin 16 series (both the MC-16GTE and DC-16GTE) sounded best. Both strumming with a pick and fingerstyle. They have that nice Martin solid bottom and some of that nice ringing midrange that people love about Taylors. And I am able to move my fingers without that slippery surface.

Should we really have to spend three thousand dollars to get a great guitar? Does anyone else have a view about alternatives in the 1000-1500 range?

I pledge not to write 25,000 words on this topic.

There.

MM:

With the companies you're talking about, it's hard to find a product (other than perhaps something targeted for a new market entry or just a plain bizarre experiment) that doesn't have something amazingly good going on with it. If you took a day and played a dozen Martins and a dozen Taylors, and weren't impressed, I'd suggest with respect that you get some sleep and try again on a better day; I wouldn't be quick to blame the guitars.

As for the "bulk is better" marketing approach, well, it's been done before, hasn't it? Everybody bought cars with big fins once upon a time. I do believe that there has never been a time when an average player with access to fifteen hundred bucks on a VISA card had as much outright excellence and inspiration to choose from. This market smokes!

Want to drool a little? Check out the custom luthier hangout:

www.mimf.com

LISlim:

You've got the golden price range right there. There must be five thousand performers' guitars on the market that would work. Three of them will blow your doors off. It's finding those three that's the trick.
:cool:

Have you played any Tacomas yet? Don't forget used instruments! Let's see... How about THIS:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/

This Martin Simpson's guitar sales page. This guy is focused. His prices are pretty good...

Re: I pledge not to write 25,000 words on this topic.

Treeline said:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/

This Martin Simpson's guitar sales page. This guy is focused. His prices are pretty good...

Great link. They have the Ed Gerhard Breedlove! If you play fingerstyle, you have to play that guitar at least once. I've played 3 or 4 or different wood types and all are as close to "perfect" as I've ever been. Some guitars "poop" out with lower alternate/open tunings, but the EG models don't. And playability is silky smooooooooth.

Hey, Larry -

Check this one out:

Larrivee DV-10QM...Description: Mint Larrivee Dreadnaught, Venetian cutaway, 10-series (Larrivee's highest end guitar) with the most brilliant quilted maple back and sides you've ever seen. Beautiful Sitka Top. It has a marvelous maple tone, great low end and ringing highs. Medium volume, from a low-perfect action. Bone nut and saddle, ebony bridge pins with the abalone dots. Ebony neck and bridge. This guitar has a couple of notable bonuses: It was a 2000 NAMM show guitar (I have the letter to prove it). It has a McIntyre pickup in it, installed by Carl himself, which sounds wonderful "plugged". Also, it has been professionally set-up by Randy Hughes. Practically zero fretwear. It's a wonderful instrument, one that I don't play often. I'm selling it to help finance another "bluegrass" instrument. Bluegrass is a sickness. I'm asking $1350, excluding shipping. Pics available on request to (ya gonna hafta look it up to see this one...)

Classified Ad # 39
Site is at:

http://www.flatpickin.com/fpclassifieds.shtml

Last edited:
It's NOT this guitar, however...

larc10k_3800.jpg

Getting closer...

c10.jpg

I've got a Taylor 710CE and it is simply one of the best dreadnoughts I've ever played. I've used a Gibson Dove, and an old Epiphone I still have. I want a McPherson, a Rainsong, a Froggy Bottom, and an old Martin. It was somehow good enough for Jerry Garcia and Eric Clapton, I think I can somehow deal with it. An old D'Angelico arched top would be nice too. Guitars are personal things, and every one is different, even if they are mass produced. The only thing I don't love about my Taylor is carrying it. What a heavy mother! Get whatever guitar makes you happy, but I'm tracking most of the current project CD with a Taylor.-Richie

Back