martin guitars

kip4

in the new year im looking to get a martin guitar
price range £800-1000 pounds sterling
i've had a go on a couple and i thought the d28 sounded boom for my liking also had a go on a smaller (parlour) model which fitted my small frame much better and felt very comfortable played reasonably well and i like the sound better than the dreadnaught.
i've had a quick look on the website and i'm not sure which catagory this smaller type guitar fits into so please help me. If you own or know about these thanks in advance

I have one of these

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=i&m=000-15

Which would fall under their 000 14 fret auditorium series and cost a little over a $1000 US

I also found the dreadnaughts way too boomy sounding for my tastes and recordings, but love what this type of guitar offers in terms of a distinctive, clear tone and look and every time I open the case I still get a great mahogany smell from it.
I've had this guitar two years now and still love everything about it from sound, playability finish, look and even how the corner has become polished from where my arm moves across it when I play.

Martin make great guitars I'm sure you won't be disappointed with whatever you choose

Last edited:
yer you cant beat the sound of a martin. i've been blessed and had the chance to play and repair many great guitars inc taylors, patrick eggle, martins,takamine and i actually own a ovation too
the ovations nice if you want a bright clear sound but im after that martin sound
i have notice that you really have to play it (martin) to make it sound its best, its no good tickling it or it doesnt shine.
thanks for the heads up

i think im going to have to go to a dealer also because i dont want to spend that sort of money on something i've not had the chance to play and i like to try and stike a bargain by asking for discount or accesorys thrown in. i figure if you dont ask you dont get and its almost always paid off in the past
if anyone else wants to chip in feel free

Dreads, although currently the most popular acoustic guitar size, are not well balanced, frequency response-wise. It's intended that way- they were developed for blue grass music, and if there is no upright bass, the guitarist has to provide the rhythm. The "boom-chuck" style of rhythm guitar playing, plus a bass-heavy body like a dread, does just that.

Historically, the 000 size is Martin's best seller. It, and the 00 size, will be far better balanced than a dread- and will be easier to play. Body will fit you better (unless you are a BIG boy,) and the neck is a tad wider, which makes for easier finger picking. I've owned a Martin D-16SP for about 10 years, and love it- but if I had it to do over, I'd get the 000.

I've had a Martin D-16 gloss top for 12 years and I think it sounds better every year. Some of the other members of my acoustic band have some great Martins-one recently got a D-28-and although I can definitely tell the sound and the feel difference I am very grateful for my D-16.

They also have a 1950 Martin 000 that is one of the easiest playing guitars I've played. And as far as playing as an unamplified band at times-mandolin, banjo, fiddle and the 000 guitar-everything comes through very well balanced in the mix. Check out a 000 if you can!

can anyone explain the 000 00 thing is it to do with size of the instrument?

Dreads, although currently the most popular acoustic guitar size, are not well balanced, frequency response-wise. It's intended that way- they were developed for blue grass music, and if there is no upright bass, the guitarist has to provide the rhythm. The "boom-chuck" style of rhythm guitar playing, plus a bass-heavy body like a dread, does just that.

Historically, the 000 size is Martin's best seller. It, and the 00 size, will be far better balanced than a dread- and will be easier to play. Body will fit you better (unless you are a BIG boy,) and the neck is a tad wider, which makes for easier finger picking. I've owned a Martin D-16SP for about 10 years, and love it- but if I had it to do over, I'd get the 000.

The dreadnought body style was developed by Martin in 1916, when Bill Monroe, the widely-recognized "father" of Bluegrass, was 5 years old.

Dreadnought (guitar type) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Monroe's bands from about 1945 on featured what has come to be known as the standard Bluegrass lineup of guitar, banjo, mando, fiddle, and bass.

A key development occurred in Monroe's music with the addition of North Carolina banjo prodigy Earl Scruggs to the Blue Grass Boys in December 1945. Scruggs played the instrument with a distinctive three-finger picking style that immediately caused a sensation among Opry audiences. Scruggs joined a highly accomplished group that included singer/guitarist Lester Flatt, fiddler Chubby Wise, and bassist Howard Watts, who often performed under the name "Cedric Rainwater." In retrospect, this lineup of the Blue Grass Boys has been dubbed the "Original Bluegrass Band," as Monroe's music finally included all the elements that characterize the genre, including breakneck tempos, sophisticated vocal harmony arrangements, and impressive instrumental proficiency demonstrated in solos or "breaks" on the mandolin, banjo, and fiddle. By this point, Monroe had acquired the 1923 Gibson F5 model "Lloyd Loar" mandolin which became his trademark instrument for the remainder of his career.

Bill Monroe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
This is my 000C-16. It's a '92 model that I bought used in 1995. It's got a Spruce top, with Mahogany back and sides. The oval sound hole on these allows room for a 22 fret, 25.5" scale neck. This thing absolutely drips tone.

I can't describe how much I like this guitar. I'll never part with it. If you ever see one like this for sale, Grab It.
guitar021.jpg

The 000 15 is an incredible guitar, very balanced in terms of the tonal range and projects well strummed or picked. Really great for recording too.

Okay, TelePaul, if you want to comment in this thread, you gotta change your name to TeleMARTIN. Or MartinPaul.

i went back to the shop today and it was a 000 28 that i tried. the 000 15 sounds amazing too.
i havent ruled out the idea of a taylor or a gibson or a larevee (think thats how you spell it)
im looking for that very tonally balanced sound that the martins give and the projection too. I love to play finger style so it has to perform well strummed and fingerstyle.
when ever i pick up a martin it just seems to sing to me i may be wrong but i hear the harmonic tones really well.
Has anyone tried the little martins?
are they made by the very same cf martin?
and yes guys im open to suggestions.

Any takamine players want to chip in ?
thanks for the martin **** . bristol possee and although they dont have all the sparkling finish of other brands in this price range the sound is awesome.
btw does anyone know what model edd sheeran plays?

Takamines are really nice guitars in my experience, though they tend to favour stage work due to their nice on-board electronics. My buddy bought a G series about 10 years back and it was the first acoustic I'd seen with a built-in tuner. Very cool!

I read an interview with someone - I don't remember who - but they said that if you play both a Martin and a Taylor for 5 minutes, you'll buy the Taylor. If you play both for half an hour, you'll leave with the Martin! Any Taylor that I've played has been a little too bright for my tastes...I guess they'd cut through a live mix very well, but in terms of solo, singer-songwriter stuff, I'd miss the low-end of the Martins.

Whatever you go with, Martin, Taylor or Takamine, you'll be getting a high-quality instrument that will last many years.

Back