Marshall 5212

BrentDomann

Has a Dedicated Member.
I spotted a Marshall 5212 in the store today, tagged at $299.00. I know the following: The amp is a 50W solid state 2X12" combo, made between '86 and '91. It's got two channels, a clean and a "boost". It sounded OK when I played through it, as well.

I put it on hold so I could do some research. I have found that this is a good idea, seeing as the last amp I looked at was a real piece of shit. Now, I know that I am asking for opinions, but there are a few things that I ask people not to get into in replying:

1. I don't want to hear this "tube is better" stuff. I know that, and I own a very nice tube amp that I am extremely happy with. I want something with a little more gain (not a lot) that I don't have to worry about banging around in my trunk. Think "shiny new tube amp doesn't want to spend tube hours and get covered in beer by drunks who don't know the difference anyway".

2. Despite the "advances in solid-state technology" that Marshall "has made" in the last twenty years, I generally think that the MG series is a load of shit. I was pretty impressed with the AVTs, but if you're going to spend 800 bucks buy a used tube head. So don't suggest an MG(unless it's a small sports car) or an AVT.

3. I was considering purchasing an old Lead 100 MOSFET head for a while, but haven't found any locally that I can dick around with. Perhaps knowledge of this amplifier head might help in giving me a standard of comparison.

That being said, is there anyone here with personal experience related to the 5212? If so, what do you think?

Thanks.

Oh wow...just saw this post...(some 4 years later)...

I've had my 5212 Split Chan Reverb since 1986.
And I will never part with it...super rugged (when I use to gig) and a good set of tones that are still very useable today (and for as long as rock'n'roll lives for that matter!)

I also have the AVT100 combo, that is currently up for sale after only 6 months of ownership....
go figure!..
don't get me wrong, it's nice and versatile....but way too much fiddling is involved to get it to do what I want.
I'm so happy that I've found a fellow 5212 owner!!

Blackstar HT60 combo next!...yay!

This is crazy. I didn't buy the 5212. Instead I waited a couple of weeks and got a DSL401, which is by now long gone. I haven't forgotten looking at that amp, but I had forgotten posting about it.

I don't like my language, either. Too abrasive.

Did you regret not buying the 5212? I'm always interested in knowing of any good amp bargains that might be out there.

I know it's a very rare-ish type amp.....I'm surprised that the one or 2 that I've seen for sale over the years are'nt fetching much higher prices....

I couldn't sell mine...but as I said, I have no issue selling my new AVT which I've only had a short time...pictured aswell.

It's format is just like the fantastic JCM combo of the time, just transistorised; and it's never been serviced even after 24 years of faithful service. I love the older combo Marhall's.

Attachments

• m git play 1.jpg
    m git play 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 488
  • m git pedal.jpg
    m git pedal.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 494
I wouldn't say I regret not buying it because there are other gear things that I regret more, but I might be tempted to buy one should I come across another. I still occasionally want to get one of those mosfet heads. I'd like one with one of the little 2x12" slant cabs they made.

It did sound pretty good.

Just to add, my, "This is crazy" comment was because yet another old thread has been resurrected here on the board. We must be running out of stuff to talk about!

Also, nowadays if I were in a pinch I'd probably buy an MG. Most of the amps available now are light years ahead of the old ones of similar place in their respective product lines. My views have really changed on this over the past few years even though I'm still running all-tube on all of my amps.

Also, nowadays if I were in a pinch I'd probably buy an MG. Most of the amps available now are light years ahead of the old ones of similar place in their respective product lines. My views have really changed on this over the past few years even though I'm still running all-tube on all of my amps.

I've actually heard a number of surprisingly good recordings done with little MG combos, and price/performance I think they're a much better buy than the more-expensive-but-similar-sounding AVTs.

Good job on opting for the 401, though - I did a couple gigs with one of those, and especially run through a closed back cab they were really pretty nice-sounding amps, with a bit more gain than the TSLs.

Thanks for the compliment on holding out. I think it was a nice amp, but it got so hot you could cook an egg on it. I don't remember why I sold it, but I don't miss it all that much. It was a nice amp, but not for me.

Blackstar 60 love.

I know it's a very rare-ish type amp.....I'm surprised that the one or 2 that I've seen for sale over the years are'nt fetching much higher prices....

I couldn't sell mine...but as I said, I have no issue selling my new AVT which I've only had a short time...pictured aswell.

It's format is just like the fantastic JCM combo of the time, just transistorised; and it's never been serviced even after 24 years of faithful service. I love the older combo Marhall's.

Sold the AVT100 pictured...YaaaY.(never did understand why I bought it in the first place)
and got me the........
BLACKSTAR HT60 SOLOIST...
Man, I can't stop playing it!....best thing I bought in years!..farkin love it!

oh, and what's wrong with revamping older posts?...I thought that was ok to do...and sort of builds up a data base for new users or people interested in older gear/issues etc.????..anyways..back to the Blackstar!;)

I know it's been a while since your original post, but I figured I'd chime in. I actually own 2 of the Marshall 5212 amps. One built in 1988 and one built in 1990. I love them! I keep one at home for a practice amp and I gig with the other one. I play in a AC/DC tribute band and I really don't feel like moving a stack from gig to gig and I am so completely over messing with tubes (replacing, biasing etc.). These amps have the same circuit as the JCM800 combos but are solid state instead of tubes. The tone is fantastic in my opinion and there is very little difference between the sound of the tube version over the solid state version. I love the fact that you can have both the clean and gain channels running together, very similar to the volume 1 and 2 knobs on the vintage plexi's. This offers me a much wider variety of tones that can be achieved based on the type of music I am playing. They have a built in effect loop also. The reverb sounds fine to me as long as you keep it below 4, otherwise its just too much for my taste. These amp are very well built and are sturdy enough to gig with. I have gigged with mine for over 2 years now and have not had any issues (knock on wood) LOL. I would definitely recommend these amps to anyone! They are kinda hard to find, but if you come across one, you can usually purchase it for around $200-300, not a bad price for a great sounding amp in my opinion. I know there will be some purists that will say that a solid state amp cannot compare to a tube amp but I am happy with the way my amps sound and that is all that matters to me! :-)

My 5212

Just finished setting mine back up in the new house, still goes well. Can't believe there are peeps who can't get a great tone out of them. I have the 86 model 5212.

Last edited:
Back