Manley Vox Box

The VoxBox does what it does and does it well. Though I think the comp section is better than the mic pre section. I might recommend it if I was sure it would solve your problem - but it probably won't. Karyn, I think it's a mistake to be looking at channel strips over $3000 as a fix for a mic sound you don't like. If you're getting a harsh sound you should also be looking into the kind of converters you're using and also the acoustics in your room. I'd also consider looking into other mics.

Instead of a VoxBox or any channel strip, you might consider a good pre and a good compressor separately.

Last edited:
The way things are going here the best advice that comes to mind is to spring for a round trip ticket to visit Mercenary Audio and talk to Fletcher. I am not aware of anybody of similar caliber on the West Coast, but if that is closer for you perhaps Fletcher could advise. You might also contact Harvey Gerst.

I agree with DOT

it makes a lot more sense to me to focus more on the mic than the pre.

I would seriously look into a Soundelux Elux 251. I think that mic would sound amazing on your voice. I like it much more than a u87.

the soundelux mic is really pricey, but I would recomend you spend you big bucks on the mic rather than a chanel strip. Great river mp-1nv is a great mic pre for the money.

I don't have any experience with the voxbox so I can't really comment on that.

Back