Manley Vox Box

Recording Chick said:
Warhead- Thanks for your concern. I don't want to be a distraction to the Intent of the forum.

You're not, that comment was though. I'm not some morality cop by any means (and it's not like he's being harmful) just figured you could do without the "yo whussup baby" type stuff.

War

Warhead,

Anyone who would use the handle "Recording Chick," you would assume would have a pretty good sense of humor about that kind of thing. :D

Recording Chick said:
Thanks Kiira, That's more helpful than you know. I tried to find your website to listen to you, but I guess you don't have one. So I don't know how similar our voices are. Do you think the gain problem would be there with the KSM44 or is that a problem only with the Beyer. For that much money I want plenty of gain. I don't think I will be building my own preamp any time soon, however I probably will be putting Groove tubes in my Bellari RP220. IT STOPS THERE!!

oh yeah the ksm works fine with a DVC. I'm sure any condensor because they seem to have a lot of output. I like the balance Iget with the ksm32 through the el-op compressor on the DVC because the ksm is a pretty neutral mic you can put it through some colored preamp or compressor and it doesn't get too muddy, that's my theory anyway. The DVC ends up around 50db of gain I think and my Beyer woul be a bit happier with 65 or 70. There is a kit out there selling for $350 I'm going to build soon just for that mic called the jlm99v... a good high gain op-amp design. I've been learning about electronics stuff at the same time I'm learning engineering.

That website is real old, I've been in finland for a while and I'm doing new music now with a much nicer studio setup.... just have no time to do a better webpage with my new songs.

Oh use those nice EI telefunken copy tubes in your Bellari... they sound pretty nice! www.triodeel.com Uncle Ned is the bomb. I've found the guys to be really helpful an I've learned stuff from people like Stephen Paul and Eveanna Manley and Jim Kennedey... Stephen yakked for two hours on the phone with me just telling me all kinds of stuff, the sweetest guy. When you really arrive you can put your nude photo up an eveanna's web site like everyone else! LOL. :p :p :p

chessrock said:
Warhead,

Anyone who would use the handle "Recording Chick," you would assume would have a pretty good sense of humor about that kind of thing. :D
And has a "Does size matter" Poll on her website... I knew I'd like her. Hi Recording Chick... welcome to HR. :)

Thanks Kiira, mabey the DVC is the place to start my preamp collection.

I'll pick up a pair of telefunken tubes. How do I get my nude photo on Eveannas web site? How do I arrive? Who is Eveanna? :)

Last edited:
DJL said:
And has a "Does size matter" Poll on her website... I knew I'd like her. Hi Recording Chick... welcome to HR. :)

Thanks DJL. I wanted to do a fun poll. Unfortunatly only girls can answer it, but guys can keep checking back to see if their doing okay. It's better than which one of my songs is your favorite (gag) poll. Thanks for the welcome. Any ideas for a good poll question are also welcome.

Recording Chick said:
Thanks Kiira, mabey the DVC is the place to start my preamp collection.

I'll pick up a pair of telefunken tubes. What do you think of the Groove tubes? How do I get my nude photo on Eveannas web site? How do I arrive? Who is Eveanna? :)

EveAnna owns and runs ManleyLabs. She's a gas. I think you arrive with the Does Size Matter poll. :-)

Another vote for the Pendulum Audio Quartet II. However, in that price range, I would probably go for the Martech MSS-10 for preamp and the LA2A for limiting and compression.

I listened to your tracks and the U87 is not the mic I would choose for your voice. I would go for the AT4060 to warm it up a bit. The 87 is fairly neutral sounding and in my opinion you should go for a mic with warmth. Other choices would be the Soundelux U99 if you can afford it.

Last edited:
Recording Chick said:
...Currently I'm using the Shure KSM44, But I Used the AT4050 for "Slippery Road".

Karyn,

1. The U87 that you spoke of earlier... have you already bought it already? Or are you open to considering other options?

2. What type of vocal sound are you going for? Are you expecting to sound like "Slippery Road"? Or are you going for something a bit different? Describe?

3. What was the recording chain for the songs that stream from your site on the "Slippery Road" record? Mic (4050) --> (preamp?) ---> (compressor?) --> (anything else). What, if anything was done to the vocals during mixing? (obviously a bit of reverb, EQ? more compression? What board (if any) did you mix the record on?

Kiira-Nice to know I've arrived. :)

Middleman- Well the AT4060 would be alot cheaper for sure.

RevE-No I haven't purchased the U87 and am open to just about anything, After talking to Kiira and reading numerous reviews I'm thinking about getting Langevin DVC and working with my AT4050 & KSM 44 and then deciding what mic would be best.

2. What type of vocal sound are you going for? I'm always working towards the best fidelity possible, but if I had to put words to it I think I would say fatter, more open and detailed than "Slippery Road"

3. I EQ very little. I try to track it the way I want it to sound with minimal compression 2:1. The whole process is on my studio page in more detail than I could type here.

Hey Recording Chick --

The DVC would be a dope choice! You might wanna talk to Fletcher about it. If you consider getting a mic in the $1k range, check out the Gefell M930. It keeps amazing me each time I use it (way better than the AT4050 and KSM44 on the voices I've compared it). There's a guy in Germany who could send you one for less than US-$900 (shipped; I can send you his email address and web site if you're interested).

Good luck!

Recording Chick said:
Thanks DJL. I wanted to do a fun poll. Unfortunatly only girls can answer it, but guys can keep checking back to see if their doing okay. It's better than which one of my songs is your favorite (gag) poll. Thanks for the welcome. Any ideas for a good poll question are also welcome.
I too think thats a fun poll... and you know boys can't resist girls... lol. j/k It's good to have you here... have fun. :)

Karyn,

If you're open to other mic choices, I'd suggest considering mics other than the U87. I like the U87 and have used one for many years... but there is that upfrontness to some vocals that I've never cared for in that mic. If U87 is your flavor, I've found the Soundelux U195 to be every bit as versatile as the U87 on various sources. Plus, it sounds better on everything I've tried it on. The only thing you don't get from it are the multiple polar patterns. Don't know if you use anything other than cardiod.

I really think that a really great tube mic might be the ticket for you (Soundelux U99, Elam 251 maybe). You may want to go to www.gearslutz.com and ask the slutz for a recommendation. Then with that info you could try to check out a loaner from Mercenary or Atlas Pro Audio.

I don't have any experience with the Langevin. Looks like a great choice. I keep on hearing quite a bit of chatter about the Pendulum Quartet I and II. You may want to give those some earnest consideration.

Giganva I've always wanted to try the Gefell mics. I'll let you know about the Germany thing it I get serious in that direction.

DJL Thanks it's good to be here.

RevE It sounds like even if I was going with a U87 I'd be better off with the Soundelux fet 7 as it emulates the old U87 & U47 with a flick of a switch. They look like they've got some cool mics. With the DVC, Indeed a Tube mic might be the way to go. With the Vox box probably a condensor.

Tube mic = solidstate mic pre
condensor mic = tube mic pre

I've got no rational for this other than too many tubes in a chain are not a good thing. If I'm going to throw a tube in a chain, let me hear just that tube.

Recording Chick said:
I've got no rational for this other than too many tubes in a chain are not a good thing. If I'm going to throw a tube in a chain, let me hear just that tube.

Them's fightin' words........ :)

Recording Chick said:
Giganva I've ...With the Vox box probably a condensor.

Tube mic = solidstate mic pre
condensor mic = tube mic pre

Just an FYI, a mic like the Soundelux U99 (a tube mic) is both a tube mic and also a condenser. Something like the U195 is a non-tube condenser mic. I know what you mean, but I just didn't want you to say something embarassing when among 'nonfriends.' I totally get what you mean about not stacking too many tubes in the signal path. However, you may be surprised. I think a lot of it depends on what the stuff sounds like.

I think the 'rule' you're living by should more accurately be something like "don't put two highly colored things in the signal chain." Whether that color comes from tubes or a solid state design is, IMO, not as relevant as the 'color' issue. There are quite a few tube mic pre designs that are not very colored (Avalon VT 737, A Designs, Pendulum when the input isn't pushed). These are commonly used with tube mics all the time in recordings that we hear in commercial records... FWIW. From what I understand, the Manley is a more colored item, so you may be correct in not putting a particularly colored mic into it for what you're trying to do. So the Langevin that you're leaning towards may be a better bet as it may be more useful for other instruments as you need them. But don't count stuff out just because it's a tube design. Rather, consider whether it's highly colored or not.

Thanks for the clarification of my vaguries RevE. I always thought when you said condensor people assumed you meant non tube.

As in ...."Bring me the tube mic" ..."well I think we should use the condensor"...."I said bring me the tube mic dammit!!" :D

Back