Mama Told Me Not To Come.....

Excellent. As usual. That is all.

:D

K-
Thanx dude. Welcome back. :cool:

I'll probably re-sing a few parts of this at some point in time. But I can live with it for now. Time to move on to an original. :)

It sounds great, man! I love the warble on the keys. The snare sits right, to my ears. Your voice is phenomenal, as usual.
Also, in case nobody's mentioned this yet, it was originally a Randy Newman song. I'm my opinion, Three Dog Night effed up the chorus completely.

Thanx buddy. I have the smallest GTR Bundle. The one with 10 cabs as opposed to the bigger one with about 30 cabs, I think. I can't find a link for it now for some reason.

Here's what I'm using on bass for this tune. I actually thought I was using the "Rock Bass" setting since that's the one I've used on other tunes. But it turns out that for this tune, I used the "Super Tube Hot2" setting and then tweaked the knobs a bit.

EDIT: I put a screenshot at the bottom of this post, but it obviously didn't work. I've never done the screenshot thing before. Let me try again.

Excellent, thanks Rami. That looks very similar to my GTR VST, so I'll see if I can find that particular sim and see how it sounds for me. Also: THE COLORS ARE BURNING MY EYES! Hahaha, that Reaper skin is something else man :)

Yeah the image uploader is a giant pain in the ass. I've gotten it to work about 50% of the time...it particularly hates when you have multiple instances of it running. I did that by accident last night and just about punted my computer into the next room before I got it to work.

It sounds great, man! I love the warble on the keys. The snare sits right, to my ears. Your voice is phenomenal, as usual.
Also, in case nobody's mentioned this yet, it was originally a Randy Newman song. I'm my opinion, Three Dog Night effed up the chorus completely.
Thanx a lot Prop. True, I've heard Randy Newman's version and it's almost completely different. Ah, we usually end up liking what we heard first, so I love 3 Dog Night's version. But you're right that it's very different from the "original".

Excellent, thanks Rami. That looks very similar to my GTR VST, so I'll see if I can find that particular sim and see how it sounds for me. Also: THE COLORS ARE BURNING MY EYES! Hahaha, that Reaper skin is something else man :)

Yeah the image uploader is a giant pain in the ass. I've gotten it to work about 50% of the time...it particularly hates when you have multiple instances of it running. I did that by accident last night and just about punted my computer into the next room before I got it to work.
Cool. I hope you get a good bass sound from it. Like I said, I also use the "Rock Bass" pre-set a lot. But I tweak them, I never just use the pre-set. There are so many options with mic choice, cabinet choice, amp type, etc...that by the time I finish with a pre-set, the only thing it might still have is the same name.

That's actually a standard skin, I think it's CLASSIC or something like that. I just like to give each instrument its' own color. My drums sound so much better in red. :D

Never had a problem with the image uploader. This just happened to be the first time I ever posted a screenshot. I had to Google how to do it. :eek:

I know it better than you, I bet.
Now we part company. The rest isn't pretty solid. This one fucking rocks. Where are your ears? Pretty solid? You goof. This is way better than 'pretty solid'.

See, that's where I have this huge advantage over you. I don't care how close he's trying to get to the original, cuz I just listen to the song on its own merits.

Well...we can do a count later to see who's heard the original more times in the last 45 years! :D

I think you misunderstand though, as there was no implied "quality" judgment by me saying "pretty solid" (and I hope RAMI saw it that way).
I was only responding to RAMI's opening comment that he was probably "going to change a million things" in the song. I just meant ....no need to, 'cuz the rest is "pretty solid" as-is. :)

See...the way I look at it (and why I asked how close he wanted to get to the original)...is if he was trying to be true to the original, then his version is too rocked out...otherwise, on its own, yeah, it does rock.

Maybe I don't gush enough... ;)

I agree with you though, and I also wonder sometimes why all the covers...?
I look at my own situation, and I'm always about 5 songs behind with my own stuff, so the last thing I would do is bother messing with covers unless it was a cover I was going to use on an actual CD....
...but I think most of the guys do it to either break the repetition of recording nothing but their own stuff, and/or also maybe just for the fun of it.
I've thought of doing that a bunch of times....and then I again look at the pile of unfinished songs I have. :facepalm:

Well...we can do a count later to see who's heard the original more times in the last 45 years! :D
Yeah, I didn't know there was some kind of competition going on. :D

I think you misunderstand though, as there was no implied "quality" judgment by me saying "pretty solid" (and I hope RAMI saw it that way).
I was only responding to RAMI's opening comment that he was probably "going to change a million things" in the song. I just meant ....no need to, 'cuz the rest is "pretty solid" as-is. :)
I totally got it, man. No need for either of you to explain what you meant.

See...the way I look at it (and why I asked how close he wanted to get to the original)...is if he was trying to be true to the original, then his version is too rocked out...otherwise, on its own, yeah, it does rock.
Yeah, it's hard to explain what I try to do when I do a cover. I personally don't believe in making it "my own" by changing arrangements, speeds and general intention of the original. But I also don't think there's any point in doing a cover EXACTLY like the original. I think the way I look at it is this: I'm covering the tune because I love it. I want to stay true to the original, but since most of my favorite tunes are now 30+ years old, the production is not how I would have done it. In other words a song from the 70's won't have drums and bass sounding as "big" as they would these days. Guitars might also be a little wimpy compared to what they'd be if the same song was recorded today. So, I guess what I try to do is stay true to the original, but try to make it sound the way I think it would sound if it was recorded today....if that makes sense.

One thing I'm completely against is changing the key of a song. If you can't sing it in the original key, don't do it. Bringing it down or singing an octave lower are total cop-outs and the only thing I'm totally against 100%, no exceptions.

Maybe I don't gush enough... ;)
Not for my tunes. You need to gush more. :D

I agree with you though, and I also wonder sometimes why all the covers...?
I tried to explain it earlier. It's totally self-indulgent. I absolutely love re-creating something I've always listened to and loved. That's why I've done everything from Alice Cooper to the Beatles to Jerry Reed, and it gives me as much pleasure as doing an original, but for different reasons.

Last edited:
I don't care for the original, but you do background vocals/harmonies so well that I at least enjoyed the chorus on yours.

How do you get that snare sound? Is that what it sounds like when you play it live, or do you compress/EQ/whatever it a lot? And do you use two mics on the snare?

a) REALLY interesting to see your Reaper arrangements and work flow tweaks.
b) I like the warble and DIG the version.
The rhythm section is as tight as a gnat's rectal sphincter.

I don't care for the original, but you do background vocals/harmonies so well that I at least enjoyed the chorus on yours.

How do you get that snare sound? Is that what it sounds like when you play it live, or do you compress/EQ/whatever it a lot? And do you use two mics on the snare?
Hey Not. I only use one mic on the snare. I only EQ a bit of 250-400hz out and add a little 3-5k. But this is pretty much how it sounds live. I don't compress any of my drums individually, but I do put a compressor on the whole drum bus.

a) REALLY interesting to see your Reaper arrangements and work flow tweaks.
b) I like the warble and DIG the version.
The rhythm section is as tight as a gnat's rectal sphincter.
Thanx a lot Ray. I'd love to meet that gnat. Can you set us up? :D

yeah, cool, I also like your keyboard sound, vocals are awesome, especially backing vox....like the guitars a lot gives this song a kick !

Finally got to this one. I barely know the original so I'm not gonna try to make any comparisons. The only thing that I personally don't care much for is the grit on the keys. The warble is fine, the tone of the organ is fine, I could just use a little less grit. But that's personal preference. The level is fine for me. Everything else sounds spectacular as usual. Great harmonies. When the guitars kick in is pretty awesome. I like the way the lead sits in the mix. Good job dude.

As for doing covers, since my name was mentioned, I'll throw in my 2 cents. They're fun to do. I don't give a fuck. No one cares that the Beatles did covers or that Led Zep stole everything they ever did, so WTF? Why are we held to some higher artistic standard? Lol. They're just fun to do sometimes. I sometimes do them to pay homage to stuff I like, or sometimes I'll do one and completely bastardize it. I almost always use them as vehicles to try something different with my recording process. Covers are my guinea pigs. I don't feel that they're a waste of my time, talent, or resources. And since it's my time, talent, and resources, I'll do whatever the fuck I want with them. They don't interfere with writing originals. Playing and recording music is a passion, but it's just a hobby for me. I don't owe anyone anything.

yeah, cool, I also like your keyboard sound, vocals are awesome, especially backing vox....like the guitars a lot gives this song a kick !
Holy shit. I honestly forgot about this thread, and didn't see this. Good thing Greg just bumped it. I've been working on a collab and haven't even visited the Clinic in a few days. Didn't mean to ignore you, Variax. Good to see you again. Thanx a lot for the comments.

Finally got to this one. I barely know the original so I'm not gonna try to make any comparisons. The only thing that I personally don't care much for is the grit on the keys. The warble is fine, the tone of the organ is fine, I could just use a little less grit. But that's personal preference. The level is fine for me. Everything else sounds spectacular as usual. Great harmonies. When the guitars kick in is pretty awesome. I like the way the lead sits in the mix. Good job dude.
Thanx a lot duder. I don't care much about the keyboard. I'm glad the levels and everything esle seems to be in place. That matters to me. :cool:

As for doing covers, since my name was mentioned, I'll throw in my 2 cents. They're fun to do. I don't give a fuck. No one cares that the Beatles did covers or that Led Zep stole everything they ever did, so WTF? Why are we held to some higher artistic standard? Lol. They're just fun to do sometimes. I sometimes do them to pay homage to stuff I like, or sometimes I'll do one and completely bastardize it. I almost always use them as vehicles to try something different with my recording process. Covers are my guinea pigs. I don't feel that they're a waste of my time, talent, or resources. And since it's my time, talent, and resources, I'll do whatever the fuck I want with them. They don't interfere with writing originals. Playing and recording music is a passion, but it's just a hobby for me. I don't owe anyone anything.
That's pretty much it. It's my time, and my passion. I love the feeling of doing a song I've loved for most of my life. I also learn something or get ideas from every cover I do.

Well, I'm glad it got bumped. I never saw the original posts for some reason, and I would have missed this.

Awesome work as always. Covers are what they are. You can use them for a multitude of purposes. From paying homage to great tunes to learning techniques to get that certain sound, to just having a blast learning and playing the tunes!
Gush, gush and more gush. Not much for me to say that hasn't already been noted. Loved the guitar tone as always, and if I remember the song correctly, you did it quite a bit cleaner (not meaning distortion, but separation of notes/quality of sound). Never cared for that organ sound on the original, so it really doesn't matter. Loved the piano on the right, though. Is that the Wurli on clean channel? :)
Still love the diversity of your voice. You sounded a little timid/unsure on the first couple lines, but then slammed it home. That, too, may be something you're copying from the original. Seems like TDN did it with a bit of tremor in the voice at the beginning, too.

Anyway, great job! :thumbs up:

Well, I'm glad it got bumped. I never saw the original posts for some reason, and I would have missed this.

Awesome work as always. Covers are what they are. You can use them for a multitude of purposes. From paying homage to great tunes to learning techniques to get that certain sound, to just having a blast learning and playing the tunes!
Gush, gush and more gush. Not much for me to say that hasn't already been noted. Loved the guitar tone as always, and if I remember the song correctly, you did it quite a bit cleaner (not meaning distortion, but separation of notes/quality of sound). Never cared for that organ sound on the original, so it really doesn't matter. Loved the piano on the right, though. Is that the Wurli on clean channel? :)
Still love the diversity of your voice. You sounded a little timid/unsure on the first couple lines, but then slammed it home. That, too, may be something you're copying from the original. Seems like TDN did it with a bit of tremor in the voice at the beginning, too.

Anyway, great job! :thumbs up:
Thanx a lot, Broke.

Yeah, I noticed my delivery in the first verse doesn't match with the way I delivered in the 3rd verse. It wasn't insecurity or anything, just got a little more slimy in the third. There are a few vocal parts I'm planning on re-doing on this anyway, so I'll probably re-do the first verse while I'm at it. Thanx man. :cool:

Genreally really good. The chorus just pops fantastic. Love the harmonies and guitars there.

Love the bass sound.

Drums just rock. Really nice sounding. I mean really cool.

Only one small complaint. That keyboard riff durning the intro and verses... It's got some ~6K fizz to it that I didn't care for.

I think you could get away with a boost to the bass. It's probably at about the right level if you're looking to duplicate the orginal. But you could modernize the sound with a bigger low end while still staying rather faithful to the original. I always liked 3 dog night and this is one of my favorites from them. You did a real good.

Genreally really good. The chorus just pops fantastic. Love the harmonies and guitars there.

Love the bass sound.

Drums just rock. Really nice sounding. I mean really cool.

Only one small complaint. That keyboard riff durning the intro and verses... It's got some ~6K fizz to it that I didn't care for.

I think you could get away with a boost to the bass. It's probably at about the right level if you're looking to duplicate the orginal. But you could modernize the sound with a bigger low end while still staying rather faithful to the original. I always liked 3 dog night and this is one of my favorites from them. You did a real good.
Awesome, man. Thanx a lot.

Funny, I just happened to open the project a few minutes ago to see which lines I need to re-sing, just as I was reading your post. You know, I just realized that it didn't even occur to me to EQ the keyboard. I'll slap an EQ on those keys and get rid of some fizz. I really appreciate that, 3M. :cool:

This one was really good lol. Not too bad. Sounds tight all around, don't mind the intro keys thing too much either. Nothing extremely noticeable or out of place :D

Back