Making Reaper MTC slave to Tascam DP02

rog999

Reaper MTC slave to Tascam DP02

I got this working and, surprisingly to me, it was relatively painless.

Run a single "midi to USB cable" from the dp02 midi out to the laptop.

On the DP02 choose the MIDI menu and set MIDI OUT to be MTC.

First ensure Reaper can see your midi devices (it´s in preferences->audio->midi devices). set the midi inputs as needed.

On reaper right click on the play button in the transport controls and check the "enable synchronization to timecode" radio button also set "use input:" to "MTC:all inputs" or MTC: your midi connection name

You should now see the word sync on the "play" symbol in the reaper transport controls.

One thing that did get me stumped for a while was that I tried pressing the play button the DP02 and nothing happened in Reaper. You have to click on the play (and record if recording) button in Reaper, it will stay in a play but paused state, then press play (and record if recording) on the DP02 and reaper will start to play , or record. It seems to work wonderfully well.

The big advantage with this set up for me being that I gain another 6 simultaneous inputs on top of the two on the DP02.

I put the drum machine via midi to reaper with audio outputs into my mixer.

Synth via midi to reaper with audio outputs into my mixer.

Stealthplug into Reaper and out to my mixer, these are all stereo two channel signals being recorded by Reaper. From the mixer I initally send all of these through the DP02 stereo mix, as I am monitoring direct from the DP02. This means I can hear the reaper tracks synched along with the DP02 recorded tracks.

I can then record each pair of reaper tracks to seperate channels on the DP02from Reaper whenever I like.

It might seem a little long winded but until I can afford to upgrade to a 2488 neo or a Korg D3200 this is what I need to do to record bass, synth, drums and guitar live and all in stereo. and it was a pretty cheap upgrade. I paid for Reaper about £25 and £60 for a good cakewalk midi interface. So for £85 I got 6 more simultaneous inputs.

So that solves it all for now but the next big question is Korg D3200 12 -14 simultaneous input tracks and 32 playback, or 2488 neo 8 simultaneous inputs and 24 playback.

I have been reading about these two machoines for a long time, both reviews, forums and the manuals. They both seem like very, very good machines. However I am erring on the side of the Korg purely because of the number of simultaneous input tracks. with 12 you could record a live band with drums mic'd up well. However with 8 you surely are going to be short.

I see the Korg as something which would always have enough inputs for me where as the 2488 neo may eventually not be enough.

One last point. Does anyone know if it Is MTC the the DP02 to the 2488 neo.
The thing is the DP02 only has "midi out" the 2488 neo has both midi in and midi out and I am wondering oif they will be able to talk midi to each other properly.

From Tascam support "You can sync the 2488Neo to the DP-02. Since the DP-02 doesn't have a Midi in the 2488Neo would have to be the MTC slave, the DP-02 being the master."

need help slaving reaper to my tascam dp02

i fooled all the instruction and it says its still waitng for a time code

Back