Mackie Onyx 400f

JasonB93117

Purchased this unit (400f) a while back and am having a couple issues. When the unit is turned on and connected to the computer, a high pitched buzzing noise occurs, coming from the computer (powerbook g4.) I cannot tell exactly where the noise is coming from. The noise seems to change in pitch as I change the sampling rate in the control panel, but does NOT go away at any particular setting (44.1 - 96 - 192) This buzzing is also present at the Control Room outputs, and occurs wether or not the volume knob is turned up or down. I have contacted Mackie and received an email back basically saying that they have been getting this complaint and are "working on it." Any advice? Thanks - Jason

Sounds like it could be a grounding problem Jason.

Does it make more noise when the hard drive spins? You may have an external ground switch on the unit (I don't know anything about Mackies) or you look into getting a power conditioner.

And that may have absolutely nothing to do with your problem whatsoever.

I haven't completely ruled out grounding but I have switched outlets, put it on its own power strip and moved to a different city with the exact same buzzing occurring. I'm thinking maybe it could be a driver issue or something? (Maybe just wishful thinking.)

Hmmmm....could be a driver then. You'd think they'd (hardware/software manufacturers) would spend a little more time on R&D before they release stuff to the public.

Good luck,

Just another note in case it could help someone figure this out... The buzzing is interrupted from time to time by the processor or hard drive it seems. When the software updater in OSX was "optimizing my hard drive," the sound only occurred sporadically. Most of the time though the buzzing/squealing sound is continuous. Thanks guys, I hope one of you has an idea for me to try.

JasonB93117 said:
I have contacted Mackie and received an email back basically saying that they have been getting this complaint and are "working on it." Any advice? Thanks - Jason

Well if you got this confirmation straight from Mackie, then I think that's almost where the brick ends.

Short of finding out the setup of the people that haven't had the problem or if you feel like voiding the warranty to pop the hood and dink some finks, I would probably return it for a refund or wait it out until mackie finds the problem.

Such a shame, I've been curious to know what the Onyx pres sound like. I thought this post might of had that info.

No biggie!

The pres sound pretty good to my ears. I'm glad to share an example if someone wanted to PM me information for how to upload a clip somewhere. I would probably use an NT1000 for vox and a pair of nt5's for guitar.

JasonB93117 said:
The pres sound pretty good to my ears. I'm glad to share an example if someone wanted to PM me information for how to upload a clip somewhere. I would probably use an NT1000 for vox and a pair of nt5's for guitar.

Yes please do! I'd been curious for a while, cause until that point I've consisdered the XDR pres of the older VLZ series to be my favorite "cheap toolbox" preamp.

I'm just curious to see if the onyx achieved something capable in comparison to the XDR.

As of right now, the price dosn't impress me, so I hope the sound will compensate for that.

Thank you for the link, too bad no one on that thread was able to fix the problem. I'm kind of torn now between just dealing with the whine, or getting a Motu Traveler. I can't help thinking that the pre-amps and converters are better on the onyx though. Anyone else have ideas?

Maybe try disabling uncessesary things on the computer to troubleshoot. Is there wireless internet on that thing at all? It seems like maybe this is mac problem, but I'm only going off posts I've seen. I have a PC and mine doesn't make any noise except an extremely tiny amount when I use phantom power.

I tried disabling the wireless and disconnecting the computer battery charger with no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks guys, one of these may just do the trick...

You bozos keep in mind before saying "its still messed up" that all other firewire interfaces have a whine problem on certain makes and models of computers, almost always macs.

Mine is incredible and I couldnt ask for more. The pres are more than acceptable nect to my API, routing is great, latency is fine. ASIO drivers work fine in SOnar, although the WDM do not. ASIO are great though, so who cares.

Great unit. WOrth the $$$.

Interesting "tubedude," do all other firewire devices have a whine that goes through the Control Room outputs as well? Or just this one?

Just tried it, and unfortunately it doesn't have any effect. Good idea though. I can't help but think maybe one of these things could help... Maybe one of us "bozos" will come up with a solution. Or "tubedude" could send me his computer =)

Allright, how about this... quit using junk ass Macs and build a computer made for audio and not 140 other things. :) Meaning, no modem for one.

really though, the whine problem is not isolated to this unit. Do a google search, I came up with a bunch really easily. Certain cameras with macs and firewire, scanners, etc... its firewire from the looks of it. Some people have rpoblems, and msot appear to be mac related, which is strange because I thought apple was the big noggin on firewire development and marketing. maybe not.

If I could afford to build a desktop computer for recording I would. I can't, and I'm trying at this point to work with what I have, knowing that it may not be ideal. I wouldn't consider macs junk, but that's just my own opinion... Mine has served me well for the last year or so, besides this one discrepancy (if it is the macs "fault" =). Any other ideas?

Back