mackie onyx 1640 or 1620

Kurdt

I have a 4 piece rock band, I'm wondering what mixer would better suit my needs for recording. Now what I do is run my tape line out (power mixer) to the input on my soundcard and it all is recorded to 1 track on adobe audition for band practice. To record a good sounding song, I do all individual tracks at seperate times to a click track. I relize I need to update to the onyx sound card as well. I'm not sure what the difference is from the 1620 compaired to the 1640? Will there be a difference in the sound quality? If I can spend less money(1620) and yield the same results I would much rather do that, as would anyone.

Just spend some time looking at the pics of both.

1620: http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/onyx1620/images/1620_top_lg.jpg

1640: http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/onyx1640/images/1640_top_lg.jpg

Seems that the 1620 has 8 pres and 4 stereo channels, 4 sends and no subgroups

The 1640 has 16 pres and no stereo channels, 6 sends and 4 subgroups.

As far as sound quality, there will be no difference, I doubt you would every really need all of the routing options of the 1640, so I would go with the 1620 if it were me.

the onyx recording solution really seems overpriced to me. the mixer is like $600-$700 and then you need the firewire card for another $400-$500. For that kind of cake you could get a sweet MOTU mkII and an octane 8-channel preamp or something. Unless you need the mixer, there are cheaper and better recording solutions out there. check out the presonus firepod.

Actually, the way the firewire option is implemented severely limits its usefulness. It's fine when you're recording into the computer. However, if you want to send the channels out of the computer to mix in the ONYX to take advantage of its EQs and analog summing, you're out of luck as you only get a stereo output from the computer (Mackie envisions its use for monitoring purposes only).

The way I see it, instead of getting the firewire option, you're better off just getting a good quality multi-channel audio interface to go along the ONYX for the ultimate flexibility, but that raises the price of the entire package.

Back