Mackie Mixer Aux Send Distortion

Mrtorto

Mackie Mixer Aux Send Distortion

Hey everybody,

I am new to recording my band and have been learning a lot using my zoom R16. We recently got a Mackie 1402 VLZ pro mixer for drums. I'm using two overhead mics, two toms, and a snare mic into the mixer which all sounds just fine on the monitors.

I wanted to add reverse reverb to the two overhead mics for a particular song we are working on. So, on Aux send 1 I have an unbalanced 1/4 cable going out of the mixer into an Electro-Harmonix Cathedral pedal (L mono input on the pedal) and the output of the pedal (L mono output) back in the L 1 Aux return.

Everytime I try to turn up the aux 1 send knobs on the two overheads’ respective channels the signal gets really distorted and messed up. What causes this and how can it be fixed to hear the effect clearly? I have tried different aux 1 send levels but it happens at all levels.

I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

That pedal may be looking for instrument level and you are feeding it like level.

You could test that by running a cable from the aux 1 output right into the return that you were plugging the pedal return into. If it doesn't distort, then you must be overloading the pedal.

So the
That pedal may be looking for instrument level and you are feeding it like level.

You could test that by running a cable from the aux 1 output right into the return that you were plugging the pedal return into. If it doesn't distort, then you must be overloading the pedal.
so running a cable from the aux send output into the return input?
If thatbis the issue, how would I change the aux send level to an instuemnt level going into the pedal? A passive DI box?

Thank you.

So the

so running a cable from the aux send output into the return input?
If thatbis the issue, how would I change the aux send level to an instuemnt level going into the pedal? A passive DI box?

Thank you.
A 10k log pot in a tin. If you want I can draw it up for you.

Dave.

Just turning the aux output down should solve the level problem, but it seems you tried that. The suggestion to loop the aux output back to an input was for diagnosing if there is a fault in your mixer.

Just turning the aux output down should solve the level problem, but it seems you tried that. The suggestion to loop the aux output back to an input was for diagnosing if there is a fault in your mixer.
Thank you. Yes I have tried to adjust the aux output. I think the most logical conclusion is that the Aux Send is feeding the pedal with a line level instead of an instrument level. To change that could I do: Aux Send > Reamp box > pedal L mono input > pedal L mono output > Aux Return?

Level is level. Simply turning down the aux send should solve that problem. If there is an impedance mismatch, that's a different problem, but that seems pretty unlikely. If it's not one of those, one starts to suspect a fault in the mixer.

Try this: set the aux send VERY low and return the pedal to a regular channel line input so you can use the gain to boost the level.

Level is level. Simply turning down the aux send should solve that problem. If there is an impedance mismatch, that's a different problem, but that seems pretty unlikely. If it's not one of those, one starts to suspect a fault in the mixer.

Try this: set the aux send VERY low and return the pedal to a regular channel line input so you can use the gain to boost the level.
I think I have tried what your describing. For example, I barely turned up the Aux 1 send on channel one of the mixer. I then put the pedals output (which would normally be Aux 1 Return) into channel six and turned the gain up and I still got the same distorted signal. Is that was you are describing? Thank you for suggestions.

I suspect from further posts that there might be more going on here than simply "level" but the box attached can be useful in other ways.
I have shown it drawn* in a metal case and the case earthed. There has not been any suggestion of 'ground loop' problems but they can be addressed if they arise. The circuit could probably be put in an ABS case for ease of construction. I doubt there would be any hum problems so long as it was kept well away from mains wiring and PSUs.
Just shout if all is not plain.

*Please forgive the extreme crudity! Not feeling top hole today.

Dave.

Attachments

• pot in a tin16092023.pdf
    559 KB · Views: 3
Same with old tascams. Line level . Read a buffered pedal such as a boss in bypass mode should help but that is why many guitarpedals suck on old mixers. I will build a stepped pad and try . I am trying to avoid buying a reamp box hard. I think a tiny mixer before the effect could be great and nice for effects freakout. Like way more channels .

Same with old tascams. Line level . Read a buffered pedal such as a boss in bypass mode should help but that is why many guitarpedals suck on old mixers. I will build a stepped pad and try . I am trying to avoid buying a reamp box hard. I think a tiny mixer before the effect could be great and nice for effects freakout. Like way more channels .

You use this circuit. However, the 2.2K resistors need to match exactly by an ohm meter.

Screenshot_2024-04-25_07-06-56.jpg

Back