mackie cfx20 vz. 1994 YAMAHA PRO MIX 01 which to choose?

thompson_pe

First post in here:

I have a question:

Need a 8 XLR in with some stereo I/O channels for sound modules.

basically if i can find a desk with good pre-amps then that saves money in the long run.

Mackie have histroicallt good mic pre-amps, that said, a chance to go digital for under 500 shouldnt be sniffed at either.

Problem is i have no experince in digital beyond the Spirit Digital 328 and yamaha 02RV2, 328 was great piece of kit must admit.

Has any one used either of these desks before? mackie cfx20 or YAMAHA PRO MIX 01

Just to show my age, I used the Promix 01 back in the 1990s when it first came out. At the time, it was a wonderful mixer--easy to use, clean as a whistle sound and very much ahead of its time. I'd happily use one today if it was in "as new" condition.

That's the problem though--we're talking about a 17 year old mixer here and I'd have to be very convinced about the condition before I'd want to drop $500 to pay for it. Electronics get old--electrolytic caps dry out, tracks on faders wear out, that sort of thing. Unless you're very good with electronics yourself, I doubt "economic repair" would be a possibility on a Pro Mix 01.

As for the Mackie, I'm not a fan. The only people I know who say Mackie have good pre amps are Mackie themselves. Most people consider the sound to be brittle and far too prone to clipping.

If you go the analogue route, I'd be looking for a second hand Soundcraft or Allen & Heath. For the digital route (and I'm a digital fan--great to find another 328 user!) I'd be watching eBay and saving my money to try and find a newer 01V rather than the Pro Mix.

Bob

I still have a YAMAHA PRO MIX 01 in the shop and use it almost daily. Works just like the day I got it years ago.
Dang that was a long time ago.

Back