Macbook with PT

pezking

I'm running Pro Tools 7.4.2 on my 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook with 1GB of RAM, running Leopard 10.5.4 (holding off on updating to 10.5.5 until it's Digidesign qualified).

I have no problems running Pro Tools, except when I use any instruments, it tends to hang like a bitch - especially when loading. I can pretty much forget about using Strike and Eleven because they just bog it down completely. I get an error message every two secs saying "try increasing buffer size" or "try increasing max CPU load" both of which are maxed out.

Any thoughts on how to improve the performance? I have a feeling more RAM is gonna be the only way :(

Actually on top of that Leopard just runs slowly all the time; even when just running Safari. Tiger is much faster! I can't believe the difference between my MB running Leopard, and my friend's inferior MB running Tiger. Hers is so much quicker!

Whilst I understand that something like Pro Tools would require more RAM, why should I need more than 1GB to just surf the net? It's mad.

I know more RAM will help out with Strike, but will it help run Eleven any better?

Have you tried disabling Airport when you're running Tools?

I think so, but I'll be sure to try it for definite when I get home tonight. Pretty sure it didn't help me out much.

Is there anything else I can do to Leopard to make it run more quickly? In Windows I usually set it up for "better performance" i.e. it disables a lot of the GUI gimmicks... Is there a similar feature in Leopard?

I think so, but I'll be sure to try it for definite when I get home tonight. Pretty sure it didn't help me out much.

Is there anything else I can do to Leopard to make it run more quickly? In Windows I usually set it up for "better performance" i.e. it disables a lot of the GUI gimmicks... Is there a similar feature in Leopard?

I've found that switching off airport really helps PT (but then again, i'm running 10.4.11, unsupported by digi...).

Perhaps you can do something like switching off time-machine or something like that? Sorry, don't really know Leopard :(

That's alright mate!

I don't use time machine. I don't see the point on my system. There's nothing on there that I really care about much!

As for airport - I'll give it a go. Otherwise more RAM is my only option!

Otherwise more RAM is my only option!

If that is the solution, it says a lot about 10.5 :(

My mac is a much lower spec that yours (1.6 Intel Core Duo, 1 gb ram) and I don't really have that many problems. I'd be disappointed if Mac have done a Windoze and put out a bloated OS....

does vista not require 1.5gb just to install?

have you tried makin sure she's clean, in general.

try a few apps like preferential treatment + cache out x <free>,,

maybe turning off airport/bluetooth/energy saver functions/time machine/screensavers/startup items etc.

i upgraded tiger to leopard on the same hardware and found it to be faster,,,so ,,,somethin isn't right.

That's a very good point. I know that on PC laptops sometimes they will speed-throttle the CPU to save energy...

I hadn't thought about that.

However I think that when I'm connected to a power source that's all switched off... and I'm always connected to a power source when running Pro Tools.

Back