mac mini

BlackHawk2029

thinking about buying a mac mini. 1gb RAM 1.83GHz intel core 2 duo. i'll probably upgrade to the 120 GB hd. anybody have or used one? how do they run? how do they compare to the power mac g4's?

Ive used them at university. In all honesty there isnt much difference.. they run really smooth, just like all the new intel macs.

What are you planning to do with it?

thinking about buying a mac mini. 1gb RAM 1.83GHz intel core 2 duo. i'll probably upgrade to the 120 GB hd. anybody have or used one?"

I purchased a 17" c2d imac for $850 from the apple refurb shop. If you don't mind the display it's a pretty powerful little machine. (I'm assuming you're thinking mini because you already have a good display) With the imac it's easier to upgrade ram and has a desktop style hard drive. So that's why I might recommend that as well.

Last edited:
I run Logic Express 8 on an Intel 1.66 CoreDuo Mac Mini w/ 1Gb of RAM connected to a Mackie Onyx 1220 w/ Firewire Card. Works perfectly.

Leopard doesn't seem to slow anything down either.

i'll probably upgrade to the 120 GB hd. anybody have or used one? how do they run? how do they compare to the power mac g4's?

don't bother upgrading the hd - they're really slow hard drives. you'd be better investing in an external firewire one or something - like that you've got the internal for system, and have a faster external for streaming audio.

as for comparing them to G4s? MUCH faster. the Intel processors are miles more powerful than a G4 PPC processor.

Buy it with upgraded RAM already - you won't want to try and do that yerself!

Back