Mac/Garageband Anyone?

GB is great and if you use good mics and preamps you can get a good sound. logic is a great software to i use it. you can get logic express if you dont want to spend all that money tho

Do you need any extra equipment to use Garageband, or can you just get it and go? I'm sure having extra equipment is always preferable, but if you don't...

I tried a 1/4" to 1/8" cable from my guitar directly into the mic input on my MacBook. The sound was awful. Using the internal mic gives limited results too. For better sound you'll need some kind of USB or Firewire input device.

The Macbooks don't have any preamp built-in - the Imacs do - my Imac always sounded great with just an adapter... I have interfaces now but ran for a long time with just a cheapie adapter. From discussing this in the Apple forums I found out the Imac's do have a small preamp in them.

I recorded a five song EP for my band using GarageBand. I was using a mac Mini with 500MB of RAM. A pretty basic machine.

I did do some stuff with just plugging directly into the mac, but found that the levels were always very low. I ended up adding my old four track to the signal chain and used it as a mic-preamp. Aside from that...its a fine piece of software. I have since grown out of it, but I still use it from time to time, for simple, or quick recordings.

Back