M520 aquisition... Crazy??

Yup, I agree. In my veiw, havng vintage gear and the original manual go hand n hand.
Outside of the practical aspects, the gear doesn't seem complete without it.

There's just something special about it. Yeah, its just some paper, but still.

I'm also into the vintage sportscar scene, and boy, oh boy. You should see the excitement when someone picks up a car and it happens to have the original manual along with service records in the trunk!

Something about original documentation is quite special in many fields, audio gear being no exception.

I have some vintage items where all they had were a PDF copy of the manual...and then at some point I ran across the original hard copy manuals...and I bought them right away, for the same reasons. I just felt that while the PDF copy provided me with all the same info...having the original manual for the vintage gear was important.

I have manuals for almost everything I've ever bought...there's an entire pile of them.

I have the original Otari manual in binder for my MX-80...and I recently ran across an original manual for the TimeLine MicroLynx sync boxes,in it's gray binder, like new on eBay. Just had to have it. :D

For all the PDF copies that I've had to settle for with some of my other gear (newer and vintage), I got a box of those (I think Avery) black folders w/clear plastic front, and they have the 3 butterfly tabs...so you us can use a 3-hole punch on the PDF pages, and then put them in the folders. I have a stack of manuals done that way for my current use gear.
Even though I rarely need to go into the manuals...I just like having them neatly stacked and available.

^^^^^ Yup. Agree wholeheartedly.

On my manual, I'm baffled. I see m520 stuff listed with a bunch of people watching. Going by watch lists, there's lots of interest in these.
My manual? One watcher. Me. :)
Whatever......those that don't see the value, made it easier for me. I didn't have to fight or get in a bidding war.

:D

Not yet. I'll have to build a special desk.
My current desk is a 3×6 foot long maple butcher block on top of two heavy duty racks.
I need at least a 7 foot long desk to hook up both.

But when I do, it will be badass!

I trying to figure out how you would hook them together. I don't understand this cascading thing

Got the manual. It's nice, complete, and it's a joy to have the full size fold out sheets.

Pretty minty, but I believe it's a tascam reprint rather than an original issue manual. The paper is thinner.

As a bonus it seems the original owner had a 238 as well, as it came with foldout 238 schematics and block diagrams. Too bad i don't have a 238 anymore.

Back