M520 aquisition... Crazy??

Thanks, sweetbeats.

Here are some pics for the hell of it.

Here are some shots of the panels. Hard to tell from the pics, but that is flamed black walnut.

IMG_0733_zpsmckmi0yo.jpg

IMG_0732_zpsytcxlkow.jpg

Lot of damn knobs. I cleaned them all by just soaking them in a plastic container with dish soap and a toothbrush. less time consuming than I thought. Overnight soaking in detergent made 99% of the accumulated years of shmutz just fall off.:thumbs up:

IMG_0736_zpsjf3x1rnd.jpg

Right now, clean clean clean. Dress panels will come off shortly.

While they are off, I'll finish sanding and oiling the walnut.

Gotta order some deoxit and clean the innards.

Interesting. That first picture in the article of the M-520 undressed and lit up is yoinked from my M-520 Story thread. That was my M-520 before I finished refurbishing it and later selling.

RFR, the color of the walnut with the beige dress panels looks amazing. Where did you get that lumber??

Yup, they sure did yank the pic from your thread!

I got the walnut from a buddy. They cut down a tree in the backyard. He figured I could use it for something. :D

Well you should see it now. Its all cleaned up, put back together, and the walnut is all oiled up.

Everything works 100% :thumbs up:

I'll throw up some pics tommorrow.

Then... onto #2
:D

I got the walnut from a buddy. They cut down a tree in the backyard. He figured I could use it for something. :D

That's exactly the same way I got the wood for the panels on my prototype Tascam 12x8 mixer!

image.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing pics of yours. :D

Pricey, and looks a bit beat up too.

I've seen real clean ones, fully functional, top out at a grand

Pricey, and looks a bit beat up too.

I've seen real clean ones, fully functional, top out at a grand

I sold mine for $900.

100% functional, super clean, rebuild power supply, with original factory service manual.

IMG_7925_33_1.JPG

Yeah, and you know that one was right!:D

As promised, here are some pics of the completed mixer.

IMG_0740_zpsegl2f3vy.jpg
IMG_0741_zpsleizruzi.jpg
IMG_0743_zpsb3lgjc0n.jpg
IMG_0739_zpsxszop8jb.jpg
IMG_0742_zpsgizac87m.jpg

I made the top shelf just big enough to support a set of small monitors and miscellaneous.
Out of some of the scrap I made a walnut headphone stand to hold my ancient, but still working AKG headphones. :D
IMG_0744_zpskqbdvete.jpg

Now its time to wrap it up in plastic again, cause its in my shop.

Amazing what little details can do, huh. Outside of pretty presentation, everything works 100%. (as far as I can determine)

Cleaned up pots etc, no scratchiness or weirdness. the most major things I did were to fix the bent up power supply input, and swap out buss 1 and 2 meter pcb.

But I gotta say thanks, your 520 thread not only got me to get on this forum (as stated in my first post), but also gave me the ground view to tackle one of these beasts. That, and all your helpful advice. Thanks.:thumbs up:

Last edited:
Nice job, makes the whole package look great!
Your work has me toying with replacing the sides and adding a top shelf to my DDA out of some beautifully grained wood.

Since I have an M520 thread of my own, I'll post here. It seems like anyone posting anything related to an M520 posts it in Cory's epic thread.:)
Well, not me. :D

Anyway, on to the meat of the post.

I just got off of the bay, an original in the binder user/ service manual.

It had been listed before and no one bought it, the seller relisted and I watched for a while. It seems I was the only watcher. That's a suprise to me. You telling me everyone that has one of these consoles already owns an original manual??
There are. guys regularly selling scanned copies. Which I must add, are crap. I mistakenly bought one last year.

Better than nothing I guess, but not good.

So rather than watch and wait for something that I know I want anyway, I pulled the trigger and bought it before someone else snagged it.

Whoo hoo. I got an allegedly mint original manual coming.
:D

I'm a huge fan of having an original. And it's not that everybody has one already...I think most people don't care about having the real deal or even care to read a manual. I like reading manuals for fun. But that's not the norm. I understand your excitement.

I have an original minty M-500 service manual in original hard binder too...i use it as reference for my M-__ prototype console because there are some commonalities. The schematics have been helpful. And there's nothing like being able to fold outthat larger than life schematic rather than jump from blurry page to blurry page in a PDF.

Back