M35 recording problem

Randy77711

Hi I just got a m53 mixer and a 238 8 track cassette recorder. I think I have it all wired up right. I recorded the click track on track 1 and guitar on track 2 I heard both in headphones while recording and both vu meters are saying there recorded but when I play back all I get is click on track 1 although vu is mvinging on 1 and 2 can someone help me figure out what I've done wrong thanks

Hi Rick thanks for the reply. I have the outs from the 8 track to the in's on the mixer and the in's on the tape deck to outs on the board

Click track is a high volume level with nasty waveforms. There is a switch on the deck to apply it to track 8. You are doing things wrong so this is one of the problems. The return signal from the deck goes into an input module and this can be assigned to an of the 4 busses but you need to know where you want it to go. Leaving buss button down when they should not be leads to this kind of problem. Also when two buss buttons are down the Pan pot then is involved and then that signa can be sent to two busses or more. You need to read the owners manuals and understand how these units work and how they are to be used. Keep in mind 8 channels on 4mm tape are extremely close so crosstalk can easily be a problem. But the reason you bought the 238 is cost as a Tascam 38 1/2" tape deck has a lot less of that problem with 15 IPS and 1/2" tape. I have worked on these decks/mixers for years since 1982 when I worked at Teac in Arlington Heights. Most if not all the the products work very well if you use them correctly.

Thank you for your reply. Can you send me a picture of the set up your talking about i think that will help me alot obviously I'm new at this like they say a picture is worth a thousand words thanks again

Bring the tape recorder outputs to the M35 tape ins. You can find the M35 manual online in several places. Download and read it thoroughly and all head scratching will be eliminated.

Rick is right. Too many questions come from people that do not do their own looking up the answers for themselves. The Manuals usually give good explanations and even some graphical drawings. I tell people all the time that the Block diagrams is what I consult when I am routing something. The individual op amps and stuff is used for repair purpose. It can be used too if no block diagrams but they have a lot more wires that you don't need to understand. I have gotten every Tascam mixer to work no matter what model and then had to explain some set up to customers.

Back