M-208 as a mixer for recording 8 tracks at once?

MAXRB

Hello,

I promise I've read the old threads about that but I cannot find a direct answer to this question:

Can I record 8 tracks at once with a Tascam M-208+ TASCAM 38?

I still don't have the R2R deck, but I have received a M-208 that I bought just for $75 WITHOUT manual (big mistake).

Of course that was an impulse purchase (item was ending).

Now It's at home and I can't see tape outs, only 8 inserts and 8 PGM OUTS (I don't know what they are).
It's a 4 groups console, so does it mean that you can record 4 tracks at once, doesn't it :(?

what about using inserts as direct outs?

Please mind is just for tracking. I'm planning to edit and mix in digital.

If not, can you please recommend me a good, compact, not very heavy recording console?

Thanks!

Okay, I just looked at a not-so-good picture of the back panel of a 208...

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Each channel has an XLR mic in, 1/4" LINE input, 1/4" TAPE in, and 1/4" INSERT.

The TAPE in jacks are obviously for your returns...

For your tape sends it can be done...

The PGM outs...there are 12 total right? 3 sets of 4 right (1~4 on XLR's, and two sets of 1~4 on RCA jacks)?

I couldn't quite tell, but does the master buss have outs on RCA jacks, and the effect and monitor sends...they're on 1/4" jacks? Anyway, that's the way to do it. You won't be able to use the monitor or effect sends while tracking though. Route channels 1~4 to groups 1~4 respectively, route 5 & 6 to L and R respectively, and send channel 7 to the effect or monitor buss and channel 8 to whatever send you didn't use for channel 7.

The 208 was really setup for 4-track recording, but they built in some 8-track conventions...that's why there are two sets of PGM outs on RCA jacks, for tracking 4 tracks at a time to an 8-track recorder...one set of PGM outs goes to tracks 1~4, and the other set goes to tracks 5~8. You can have all your 8 sources hooked up to mixer channels 1~8, and mixer channels 1~4 routed to groups 1~4 and channels 5~8 routed also to groups 1~4. While you are tracking your first set of 4 tracks you mute mixer channels 5~8, and while you are tracking your second set of 4 you mute mixer cannels 1~4. Does that make sense?

Ì wouldn't recommend using the inserts as sends. It can be done but for analog tracking, since the inserts are pre-fader, you won't be able to push levels to tape. You'll be restricted by the peak handling of the head amp which I thnk you'll find very restrictive.

hi sweetbeats,

Yes, I think i got, although It's a bit tricky for me. It's my first analog mixer:o...

You are right about the connections:

MIC 1-8
Insert 1-8
Line In 1-8
Tape In 1-8

OUTPUT: R L FLB EFF
SUB IN L and R
EFF RTN 1 and 2
STEREO OUT L and R

PGM OUT 1-8 (rca)
PGM OUT 1-4 (xlr)

About using the inserts. Do you think this cables can fix the limitation that you have pointed?
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--HOSDOC10

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4642.jpg
    IMG_4642.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4643.jpg
    IMG_4643.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 115
If those RCA connectors are 4 sets of stereo outs there, could you assign each one to a pair of channels, and then pan hard left and hard right to separate them?

No.

Those (8) PGM OUTs on RCA connectors are 4-pairs of bridged mono. It gives you 2 identical taps for each PGM Buss output on RCA's. That's how you'd support the 8-track recorder's inputs in "BUSS" mode recording.

PGM Buss 1 supports Tape Inputs 1/5, PGM Buss 2 supports Tape Inputs 2/6, PGM Buss 3 supports Tape Inputs 3/7, PGM Buss 4 supports Tape Inputs 4/8,... and you'd differentiate between the two halves of the pair by which one has "REC FUNCT" set to "ready" on the recorder side.

For 8-simul recording with this desk, I'd suggest using the Inserts as Direct-Outs. There are cables available which adapt the Inserts to Outputs, or simply use a normal Insert cable's "output" side, and not the "return" side.

The Tape Returns from the deck will come in on the TAPE RTN jacks, anyway.:eek:;)

Yeah...what Dave said...augments what I was saying, but those unbalanced PGM outs are 2 parallel sets of 4 mono outs, like he said.

About using the inserts. Do you think this cables can fix the limitation that you have pointed?
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--HOSDOC10

MAXRB,

This is what I was saying. Yes you can buy or make a cable that will utilize your insert as a direct out, but the problem is you need both the trim knob and fader to do it right. The TRIM knob boosts the signal coming into the mixer up to the operating level of the mixer. The fader control has the ability to then further boost that signal to the level you desire on tape, which is typically (depending on the deck and the tape) going to be significantly more than the level of the signal as it leaves the head amp (the thing that the TRIM knob controls). You could go ahead and record at the levels seen just aft the head amp, but you're going to be grappling with the signal to tape probably being too close to the noise floor (tape hiss) than you'd like. A mixer with direct outs on each channel allows you to tap the signal of each channel typically just aft of the fader, whereas the insert jacks are just aft of the head amp (trim knob). Obviously the M-208 lacks direct outs on each channel. So, that cable at Zzounds is going to allow you to tap the signal to tape just aft of the head amp, and I know I wouldn't go that route.

Back