Lugs count

i'm looking at a some beginners sets

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38097&item=7322269624&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

https://www.americandrumschool.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=3

https://www.americandrumschool.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=22

the set on ebay Bass 22" x 16" x 20 Lugs!!
Floor Tom 16"x16"x12 Lugs
Toms 13"x11"x12 Lugs
12"x10"x12 Lugs
Snare Drum (metal shell) 14"x5 1/2"x12 Lugs

those lugs count are for top and bottom right

and with a $400 budget which set would you choose (i'm not a drummer i just want a set to learn how to play)

If you just want to learn how to play... I would just go with the cheapest set possible. If and when you become serious about playing, that's when I would upgrade to something with a little more umph. The Sunlite's look the best out of them all. Hope this helps.

what's the deal with the lugs i was under the impression that the more lugs the better it was to tune it.
could you please tell me what makes the sunlite look the best out of them (please include personal opinion.
i was leaning towards the sunlite set simply for the price until i found out about the shipping price of $80.
whereas the HB has free shipping

L'espion Noir said:
what's the deal with the lugs i was under the impression that the more lugs the better it was to tune it.
could you please tell me what makes the sunlite look the best out of them (please include personal opinion.
i was leaning towards the sunlite set simply for the price until i found out about the shipping price of $80.
While more lugs can make tuning a little more precise, a very good tuning can be acheived with fewer lugs by spending a little more time tuning. Also, more lugs mean more mass on the drum, which means they are slower to start resonating.

L'espion Noir said:

Don't waste your money on the HB's.

If you are dead set on buying an economy kit, why don't you buy a Pearl Export 4-piece? Then you can add on to it.

What I would suggest is
16x22" $251
16"x16" $137
10"x12" $95
5.5"X14" $169

That's $652.

You would still need to buy a Snare stand, a Kick Pedal, A Hi-hat stand and 2 or 3 cymbals stands. BUT, you would have the basis for a kit that can expand with you - rather than throwing your money away on some piece of crap kit that you can't really expand, and to be honest - isn't worth expanding. Also, you would have a REAL Snare and not some hunk of junk that you'd get from HB.

That's just my opinion. I would always steer new drummers clear of anything i thought was crap, and HB is complete and utter junk. If my choice was to play HB, or not play at all - I would stop playing - and I'm almost 37 years old and I've been playing for over 28 of those years.

Save your money.

There is a saying in the pro music world "Buy Once, Cry Once".

Tim
ps - those prices are from Interstate Music.

thanks a lot guys
what do y'all think about the Sunlite

since i'm not a drummer i'm gave myself a $400 budget for a starter kit.

Last edited:
L'espion Noir said:
thanks a lot guys

If your budget is only $400 max.

Either buy a used 4-piece set and make sure to take a fellow drummer along who actually knows something about gear......
or
...... Just buy a Kick, a Snare, a Hih-hat and some hi-hat cymbals.
That way you can learn to play basic beats.

I would look around locally for a used Drumkit personally, if you're not willing to at least invest in something along the lines of a Pearl Export.

You could get a Pearl beginner's kit for $600 plus shipping It's a 5-piece set (Kick, snare, 3 toms) hat comes with basic hardware, an 18" Crash/Ride, a pair of 14" hi-hats, and a cheap-o throne.
Obviously the cymbals are going to be so bad that they will not be worth playing on - but since you aren't a drummer and just want to try to learn to play - it won't matter to you that they sound bad; you'll need another $100 or so to buy new heads for the kit - since stock heads are normally such pieces of crap.

I mean - if you want to throw your money away go ahead an buy one of those no-name sets.

Sunlite drums could go either way. I've seen guys praising them as great. The same guys also happen to be SELLING them as their beginner's line of drums....such as the site you posted.

My reason for being leery of them, is simply because I have had no experience with them, and I can't suggest you buy something in good conscience if I've never even seen the product. So it's not that Sunlite itself is crap because they appear to be a really good deal...but that is what worries me about their product. Drums are one of those things where you generally get exactly what you pay for.

The HB line is similar to what Sears would sell at Christmas time for little kids.

Tim

L'espion Noir said:
thanks a lot guys

It's all a matter of perspective and of how serious you are about really learning to play. When I got my first kit, I wasn't a drummer either, I was the guitarist for our band. So since I was just beginning, I gave myself a budget of $1500 for kit and cymbals. I learned a long time ago that when I'm learning a new instrument, if I start out with at least half-way decent equipment then I will be much more likely to keep on practicing and playing that instrument, but if I start out with crummy equipment, I am very likely to give up because getting a good sound is too much work.

Even since I got my kit just a year ago, I have already put about $700 more into upgrading my cymbals because I started out with ok cymbals...not really good cymbals. As people have said already, if you're at all serious about this, then get something good right up front or you will waste your money by having to buy upgrades.

L'espion Noir said:
thanks guys

i'll keep saving as i keep looking
Oh man, if you're going to keep saving... you should invest in a Sonor drum kit. The Force series by Sonor is something worth checking out IMO. I have a Force 3003 and love my kit (black sparkle) to death. Anyone seen the new 3005s? These kits are beautiful and sound great for their moderate price.... Sonor, I would like my check now... :)

Back