Lt. Bob - Do you still like your Utopia?

Racherik

Lt. Bob,

Do you still like your Utopia? If you had it over to do again would you get the G200 or G300? I think I remember you mentioning you used it for 3/4 of your gigs. Is that still true?

Thanks,
Racherik

Ground control to Lt. Bob.
Ground control to Lt. Bob.
Take your protein pills and ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION!

:p

Lt. Bob,

Do you still like your Utopia? If you had it over to do again would you get the G200 or G300? I think I remember you mentioning you used it for 3/4 of your gigs. Is that still true?

Thanks,
Racherik
yep ...... I still think it's the best sounding modeler out there with the exception that I haven't tried any of the very newest ones in say, the last year.
But the best they're gonna do is sound as good as the Utopia because it sounds and, more importantly to me, 'feels' like a real amp.

As for which model ..... the 200 because it has a tuner (100 doesn't) and a recall button where you can toggle between 2 sounds. I ponder on getting a 200 for that very reason. Soundwise they all seem to be the same ........... just more switching/button options.

Also, be aware it's set up a little differently than any other modeler. ..... ti doesn't have 32 amps models and 107 pedal models. It has 4 channels ..... British, American, Texas and Mega. I find that preferable to digging thru a zillion slightly different sounding models ..... they put all their energy in making these 4 models sound real.
And it has the main things ..... clean (American) crunch or tweed (ala SRV ... Texas) ...... Marshally (British) and hi-gain (Mega).
And it has the main FXs you want ..... phase, flange .... chorus 'verb .... delay ...... has a great noise gate and GREAT speaker emulations and a few things like a variac emulation.

I do still use it for a majority of my gigs direct into the PA.
It's the ONLY modeler I've used (and I've used a bunch) that behaves so much like a real amp that I don't mind even a little bit using it instead of an amp.

I still use a good amp on any gig where I want the very best but there's not much of a downside in using the Utopia instead which is cool 'cause I'm kinda picky.
Previously with my Line 6 or Digitech stuff I'd dread having to use it ..... the Utopia? No problem.

Thanks Lt. Bob

I appreciate the reply. My main instrument is Piano/Keys, as such I've started dabbling with electric guitar and I haven't really a clue as to what I want my tone to be. So I want something versatile.

One last question, How do you monitor yourself? Do you send your feed using an AUX bus from the PA feeding a floor monitor, or a regular guitar amp or powered floor monitor?

Thanks for heads up about the new g100 having a built in tuner.

Racherik.

Thanks Lt. Bob

I appreciate the reply. My main instrument is Piano/Keys, as such I've started dabbling with electric guitar and I haven't really a clue as to what I want my tone to be. So I want something versatile.

One last question, How do you monitor yourself? Do you send your feed using an AUX bus from the PA feeding a floor monitor, or a regular guitar amp or powered floor monitor?

Thanks for heads up about the new g100 having a built in tuner.

Racherik.

200 has the tuner ...... I just checked and it looks like the 100 still doesn't.

I just monitor myself thru the PA and whatever monitors is there.
Actually on my single gigs I don't use a monitor at all ..... I just have one of the PA speakers set back to where it's even wioth my head and hear that.

Does it work well with Strat & LPs? Also is the lack of a FX loop an issue?

Thanks,
Racherik
Yeah .... it works well with both. You do have to set up different presets for each type of git.

Lack of an FX loop isn't an issue for me ...... I have all the FX's I need in the unit and the whole reason I'll use the Utopia is for gigs where I'm traveling light and want to minimize the gear I'm carrying so having an extra pedalboard to hook up isn't part of that equation.
Your milage may vary.

You ever recorded with the Utopia direct?
yeah ...... I really like it.

It sounds WAY better than any of my other modelers ( V-Amp2, POD 2.0, J-Station, several Digitechs) but bear in mind, I haven't tried the very latest offerings.
But I bet it would be competitive with them also even if no longer a lot better.
It just sounds and reacts a lot like an amp and I never say that about modelers.

Back