LPC Tune up

Who was it that said "Sometimes the best thing you can do with a guitar is look at it"?

I think it also depends on where you make your purchase. I've bought from small mom & pop places that were great and shit. Same for on line. AMS, where I got my Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, it took 2 guitars to get one that felt right, but still had to take locally to get set up.
I've also gotten guitars from Guitar Center (local shop) that needed set up.
So far that best place I've bought guitars that are actually playable out of the box is from Sweetwater. My Fender Jazz bass is great. So is my Charvell.

I don't understand how a guitar headstock "represents" anything. It's just a guitar. I'm totally indifferent to headstocks, other than the Parker fly and reverse headstocks which IMO are weird. There is plenty of really bad music done with all types of guitars and the headstock has absolutely nothing to do with that.
That is true, but I'm not talking about just the headstock. This is just my opinion, but there are features about some guitars that when I see them, I know that for me and for what I like to listen to, nothing good can come from them. It's mostly metal stuff. Pointy shapes, EMGs, Floyd Rose, too many strings, etc. Seriously, nothing good can come from this....

bc-rich-kerry-king-kkss7wg-2.jpg

Both the instruments I got from Musician's Friend recently came in pretty well set up. The Mockingbird needed some attention (the bridge pickup was loose and WAY too high), but the intonation on the bridge was set spot on and the locking nut was already in good shape. It plays for 45-60 minutes with minor bar work and a little stretching and bending without tuning problems.
My SGR bass needed nothing but string replacement. It still has an electrical problem with the blend knob...does a phase loss thing at parity (when you fade to the center, it gets really thin instead of blending the two pickups). Don't know how that got by Schecter's QC. Pretty obvious problem.

That is true, but I'm not talking about just the headstock. This is just my opinion, but there are features about some guitars that when I see them, I know that for me and for what I like to listen to, nothing good can come from them. It's mostly metal stuff. Pointy shapes, EMGs, Floyd Rose, too many strings, etc. Seriously, nothing good can come from this....

bc-rich-kerry-king-kkss7wg-2.jpg

Now that's a horse of a different color.... and it should be shot because it's lame. There is no way that a guitar like that could be comfortable to play, so they must be strictly for posers. I also agree that EMG pickups are lifeless crap. I don't do a lot of whammy bar stuff but, I do like my Floyd Rose equipped guitars.

My FR bridge is blocked - has been since I brought it to the tech for a setup and complained about double stops going flat.
I'm no EVH so it doesn't matter. It stays in tune perfectly. The fine tuners are a joy to work with. Goes down but not up but I never do that anyway.
The metal locking nut eliminates any problems there.

I use the bar for down, but not often. Mostly I use my palm on the back of the bridge for up...guess (like you guys didn't already figure this out) I'm just a bit of an odd duck. "Kcauq, Kcauq"

Back