Lost a pre in my firepod .. any hope for tomorrow?

Re-tox_stl

Hi guys.... Sadly I think I somehow lost (broke) the pre in the first input on my firepod :(. At least I think. All I know is that there is 0 signal, even when I crank the gain to 60. If it is broken, can it be fixed? I am planning on investing on some outboard pre's in the new future (probably a GAP pre73), but still, thats one more input I can always use :).

Thanks, Drew

P.s. I think this is in the right forum?

Is the balanced jack input still working? it could be as simple as the solder connections on the inside have cracked where the XLR is soldered to the circuit board, this can happen due to stress. It could also be a broken xlr connector. Have you tried Presonus support?

Cheers
Alan.

Ok, I messed with it a little bit more today. I plugged in a 57 (first mic I found), cranked the gain to +60db, and screamed into the mic. In my daw I got a tiiiny signal (about -60db).

Drew

Very well then. I will pop it open tomorrow and see. If I see nothing, Presonus will be receiving a call.

Drew

Have a very good look at the solder joints, use a magnifying glass and push gently on the connection to see if there is a fracture. We could be barking up the wrong tree but it's a good place to start. I recently fixed a fader on my console that had a fractured solder joint, took me 3 close looks with the magnifying glass to see it.

Hopefully it's not more serious, Presonus may still fix this under warranty if it's a definite manufacturing fault.

alan.

It says online that I have to register my product before I call. Of course I lost the product key and what not long ago. Think they will still let me do it?

Call anyway. If they won't fix it, I'll bet 90% it's a bad solder joint. For $20 you can get a soldering iron, watch a video on youtube on how to solder, and fix it yourself...or find a friend who can solder. Worst case, it won't be any worse than it is now.

Also, if the 1/4" jack still works, an external pre will make that channel usable again.

It says online that I have to register my product before I call. Of course I lost the product key and what not long ago. Think they will still let me do it?
I think all you need is a serial number which should be on the bottom of the unit (hopefully). I have sent several products into them for repair in the past, in fact a Digimax FS of mine is in right now being fixed. Assistance from them has been pretty bad for several years. It's rare that tech support returns phone calls. They will respond on line, but only after a few days usually.

Found the serial, registered it, and sent them an email. I will also call Monday when their customer support line is open. Thanks for all of your help guys!

So I gave been emailing one of their reps, and he says it will cost me $85 to fix the pre, which I think is crap. I might as well just put that towards a new external pre. I am planning on calling them monday and yelling at someone, in an attempt to get it fixed for free.

So I gave been emailing one of their reps, and he says it will cost me $85 to fix the pre, which I think is crap. I might as well just put that towards a new external pre. I am planning on calling them monday and yelling at someone, in an attempt to get it fixed for free.

And I bet that there are hidden costs that weren't even mentioned during those e-mail exchanges!!

Back