Loss of volume! What gives?

sickstring69

Been recording my own guitar stuff on my all-in-one digital workstation for years but only recently got a laptop and imported my music into Windows Media from the cd's I burned on my workstation (figured it would be a quick way to make copies for friends etc.). Here's the problem: My original recordings on cd's from my workstation are of perfect (nice and loud) volume when played in my trucks cd player...but the copies I make or "burn" on my laptop are close to only half as loud. I have to play my player wide open and it's still not loud enough. What gives? Help!

How are you importing your files to the laptop? On your digital recorder, are there any master effects on the bus you use to burn CDs (limiters, etc.) that wouldn't be present in the files you're transferring to the computer? If you're just taking a CD audio disc from your recorder and importing songs into Media Player on your computer, I'm not sure why there would be a volume loss. Have you tried uploading a commercial disc into Media Player the same way? Same issue?

volume glitch

I haven't had any trouble with burns from music I've acquired online but I guess I haven't tried importing a disc and then "burning" it. I'll give it a shot and get back to you. Thanks

Damn. Makes no sense then. You're importing your music the same way from the disc you burn on your hard disc recorder; and those discs sound fine on an external system but lose something when imported to Media Player then burned to a new disc. There's a missing link somewhere but I can't figure it out based on the information provided. Hopefully someone else with more Media Player experience can chime in. Good luck.

What version WMP are you using? Have you checked if quiet mode is on? Also have you tried turning on/off auto volume leveling?

Some real possibilities....I'll see if I can find these options later after work. My Media is a very recent version. Thank you all for your help...I'll report back ASAP.

:confused: Hmmmm... The next thing I would try is to see if it does the same thing on another computer with WMP. Also have you tried simply copying the disk to your computer as a file, separate from WMP and then playing it back either with WMP or with another program? Sorry, this is the only way I know to root out these problems... Don't know if I'm helping or not :cool:

Back