Losing Control

And don't forget the Radio Shack mic I used...

and I played geetar....:D:eek:

Do people still go to hell for lying...?:eek::D

Sure sounds good on my headphones.

Lead vocals are great True - I can feel the pain in your heart through your delivery. Especially like the part around 4:00 - perfect.

Bass guitar is very thick and deep, with good definition. What kind and what signal chain is that?

The lead guitar is very soulful and matches the groove of the song well. Good licks and good tone. I think the level sits just right - equal with the vocals so the two are jamming together. Rhythm guitars are nicely tucked on each side.

The drums are present but not overpowering. You may get a few requests to bring them up but I'm liking them where they are.

All in all a very cool rocker - two thumbs up ! :D:):D:)

Last edited:
Lead vocals are great True - I can feel the pain in your heart through your delivery. Especially like the part around 4:00 - perfect.
+1 ... that last long vocal note is perfect - with the rising gesture at the end happening just as you'd expect a person would be running out of air. Vocal's well recorded.

The lead guitar is very soulful and matches the groove of the song well. Good licks and good tone.
+1 also.

The rhythm gtrs have a very similar tone to the lead that maybe reduces their clarity in the arrangement.

Listened on KRK V6s.

Great job all around.

I'm impressed. This song is good all the way around. Great guitar work, great vocals and a good solid rhythm section and good audio quality. It reminded me of Pat Benatar :) The only thing that stuck out to me was in the beginning where the lead guitar came in. It was a little loud compared to the background. Maybe a long fade in would work well because the volume throughout the rest of the song was good.

I listened on a quad amp, with 4 jbl stadium 3 way columns.

Last edited:
Really nice sounding stuff! Those vocals are great. Some passion! I agree with NY completely about the guitar. A bit loud coming in but after that it has just the right levels.

Nice guitar solo! Wish I could play like that haha:)

Keep up the great work!:D

Snare sounds distorted. Could be a loose snare belt and too much bottom snare mic used.
Is that a real amp you used for the guitar?
Bass sounds nice, a bit dull but nice. :)
Is that DId bass?
You could try using the SIR plug in with a nice bass amp impulse to add some depth to it.

Vocals sound nice. Recording/mixing and performance.

Mix wise, Id like to hear more drums.

Nice song.

Good stuff True!

Eck

Echoing Eck on the bottom snare thing, but if you are recording on two-track cassette and doing sound-on-sound, then you've just got generational loss...

Drums are really the only serious issue from a sound perspective, they are undernteah, but yet still harsh sounding because of the snare. Rhytm guitars are fine, bass is a little wallowy for my taste, but definitely "within spec". Vox are beastly powerful. True kicks...

I like the song, and generally speaking everything seems to be in the right place... but I can't help but feel like everything is somehow transparent and airy... like all of the instruments are these small things sitting very far apart from each other with a tiny singer sitting right in the middle of it all.

ok, here we go.
Here are some comments to the comments.
First off, let me say thank you for the great reviews we have gotten, im all blushing now.

1st. I was only kidding about the song being recorded on cassette.
I would also like to note that I played all instrumentation on this song, with exception of the vox that True layed in fine fashion. The vox track is True running into an AKG Perception 200 at about 6".

2nd. yes it is a real guitar and amp. The guitar is a Gibson SG Standard, detuned a half step, ran into a Mesa Dual Rectifier miced with an SM57 in the grill of a Marshall 1960A cab.

3rd. The bass is real also. The guitar is a Shecter Elite5, tuned standard, ran into a Peavey Kilobass amp feeding a Peavey 15" scorpion+ miced also with an SM57.

4th. The drums are a 7 piece double bass set of ludwigs. Eck was also spot on about the snare, it is bottom miced with the only top coming from the overheads. The snare is due for an overhaul, it a Joey Jorgison (sp) snare and is due for head change.

Eck mentioned about using the SIR plugin, well... I cant use plugins as Im recording all hardware, no computer involved.

Erich, Im not sure I understand your comments about the instruments sounding tiny. Maybe you could explain better?

Nymorningstar, yes, about the intro lead, I forgot to attenuate it, since Im not on computer, i cant automate, and I simply forgot to fade it.

My recording media is an Alesis HD24.

This sounded good on mspace & sound MUCH better on S/click. I've downloaded it because it FEELS!
I'll listen more closley to the download for a detailed response.
Nice stuff, good work.

First of all...I am so excited about this tune and wanna thank Tracey for all he put into our song. It just wouldn't have happened without him. He took something I started and made it complete...and that...I consider a gift. One of the bestest gifts I could ever get, cause it's music!! I think he is an awesome music man and kicks some rockin ass!! I AM excitable you know...:eek::D

All you guys...Thank you for taking the time to listen and to respond...I really do respect the opinions, of those of you, whom I have heard your own stuff and who have put time in here at the clinic too. I know you are right on with your critics and meant to be a help with your good ears and hands on knowledge. Those of you I have not heard, thank you too for the listens and being specific with your critics. :)

Gerry~ man thank you a bunch!! I love the details you put forth in your critics. I would love to take credit for the recording...and guitar playing:D...but all I did on this one, was write my thoughts, feel it with my heart...and let a melody escape my soul, a while back...then along comes Tracey asking if I would like to redo it...I said yah...but with an edge...that's how it all began...then he worked his magic...it's magic to me anyhow...but a more defining practical words would be "Skills" and "Talents" ......Then I traveled to his studio and he recorded the vox and nestled it right inside all that good stuff.

XLR~ Thank you Tim!! I had never felt so "unnervous" and relaxed when being recorded before. Tracey coached me a lot on my performance. I had never really sang rock style before..but am now anxious to try again soon.

NYMorningstar~ Wow thanks NY..I've never had a Pat Benatar comparison before..lol It was all good stuff to sing with and really turned me on to sing with.

Erockrazor~ ...Thank you so much for listening and encouragement to do more!!! I can hardly wait!!

Ecktronic~ Thanks Eck..!! Always good to read your input..specifics are great!!!

Llarion~ Ahhhh...you are so kind!!! Thank you so much.."beastly powerful"...now I am blushing!..and I don't blush easy..but I assure you, I am grinning really big too!!:D

ErichArndt~ Thank you for listening...but you'll need to be a bit more specific please.

Rayc~ Hey Ray!! Thanks for listening on myspace and your comment there too!! I am looking forward to your return with a more detailed response. I just love reading how you use the English language Aussie style...

Again...thanks for listening and commenting!!!

Last edited:
I like what I'm hearing here. :cool:

Melissa Ethridge and Lucinda Williams got nothing on you!

Maybe just a bit more verb on the vox though.:eek:;)

Nice, clean guitar work too.

This is great all around. A great classic rock tune. True, this is best I've heard you sing, and you know how much I love everything I've heard you do.

The guitars ROCK, too!!!

Hey True, as long as you're collabing, you might want to check out my "Let's Jam" thread and see if you think you can lay anything down on it. If you don't feel it, that's cool, too. But I'd love you to check it out and see.

nicely done True and Tracey. :) I like this version very much. You did really well. though i agree that the guitar is too loud in the beginning.

well done.

I'm back...
The growl on the bass in the intro is excellent - it loses that as the other instruments come in though - can you carve a little EQ niche for it?
The voice - I'd say a gravellier Stevie Nicks with some Maggy Bell depth but, in truth it's True through & through.
the snare is an issue - only because it's not quite right, saggy sanres or something - & brings attention to itself.
The playing is good throughout well done Tracey. The lead licks are perfect for the song.
The guitars could use a little tone tweak to differentiate them but that's not essential by any means.
Not recorded into a comp as you say so what did you record into?
This song rock.
There's a real edge to the voice and another edge to the lead guitar. Classic rock.
The mix is really good.
Who wrote it?
What's the story behind the reworking?

Hey shark girl :D from the album "cracked and dangerous" comes a new tune :cool: Checking it out now... typing as listening... catchy rhythm and the dirty guitar tone is kick ass, dig it. Your vox really draw me into the song, always dig the emotion you put into your lyrics. They flow great too, definitely the star of the song. Followed in close second by the guitar... the guitar shadowing your vox is just cool... there's a really nice groove to this. Definitely find myself moving around/dancing to this... really no nits to add from me, just that I loved it. Probably my favorite from you. I have immediately added this to my new sound click station. Awesome grooves, this rocks... keep it up :D:D

Hi guys....here is a re-do of a song....Losing Control with a rock take on it with JCM900.

Have a listen and give some feedback please.

Thanks

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=399801&songID=6184593

Firstly Tr00 your vocal performance here is strong and the best overall performance I have heard you deliver. My comparisons are Stevie Nicks crossed with Bonnie Tyler. The overall levels of your vocals are great, the lyrics are all audible...some great held notes there Tr00! Well Done Tr00....your best so far! :)

Hey JCM900, the lead guitar seems a tad harsh, maybe it's the volume compared to the rest of the tracks??...a little over processed is what I am thinking. Nice playing though! :) The drums need to be bought forward in the mix, perhaps add some mids to add a little more definition.
Is this an original?? If so...great writing all the way from the lead guitar lines to the lyrics.

Overall guys...great stuff, just a little more attention to the placement of the instruments as in panning and volume in the stereo field and you have a great tune. I enjoyed listening to this!

Thanx for sharing! :)

Last edited:
Back