Looms

frosty55

I need a new loom for my reel to reel. Are there any phono-to-jack looms worth considering, or do they all sound the same?

I don’t mess around with trying to get the cheapest thing. I mean, who knows if it makes a real-world difference if the copper was shat out of the butts of fairies on Pluto during a new moon…I just want something that I can rely on. The cheap stuff is…cheap…flimsy. I’ve never had a problem with any of the Hosa cables or looms…their standard grade with the molded plugs. So, that’s my recommendation for good quality decently priced products. I make my own snakes, but in the past the Hosa stuff was my go-to.

There is no difference in the sound. There is most difference in connectors, but to be honest, I tend to buy and always have, anything I can find that does the job in terms of length and connectors. I wish there was a spec for stiffness, as this varies greatly. The softer outer and looser core pack make them nicer.

The other issue is the shrinkage of the outer jacket in some multicores, of all brands and price brackets. Usually blamed on a manufacturing defect. These gradually stiffen and coil over a few years and will not lay flat.

Back