Looking for tips on drums

revnice1

I'm thinking of getting a basic kit, a few pads and some headphones. Does anyone have advice? I don't know the budget yet but ideally, I'd like to be able to select different kits or kit pieces. Any tips on how to learn would also be cool, do you start with AC/DC tracks, books, courses?

Thanks - rev

I'm thinking of getting a basic kit, a few pads and some headphones. Does anyone have advice? I don't know the budget yet but ideally, I'd like to be able to select different kits or kit pieces. Any tips on how to learn would also be cool, do you start with AC/DC tracks, books, courses?

Thanks - rev
Looking for a good used kit would be a good start. Local ads, check the percussion shops, etc. Then sign up for lessons.

You can get a Electronic Drum Set for not much money - that's what I would do. Do you have any idea on how to play drums? If not I would start with lessons and go from there. If you understand drums - AC/DC isn't a bad place to start - Weazer has some good ways to learn drums - The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army; Queen - Another One Bites the Dust; Bon - Jovi Living On A Prayer ; Nirvana - Come As You Are; basic drums in all of them - but a good steady rhythms.

Really the fastest way is to take lessons - if you have any talent it will develop very quickly - and it will curb any bad habits you might develop.

I was in this position around 2003. Bought an electronic kit to add drums to recordings. It was fairly pricey, and with hard pads, which make quite a racket in addition to what comes over the headphones. There are plenty of cheap all-mesh kits around today, which are better. Also I find the electronic kit is a bit one-dimensional. You can hit an acoustic drum in so many different ways, but the electronic kit gives just one type of hit for any particular voice. After playing the electronic kit for a year or so, I went out and bought an acoustic kit.

I find the electronic kit is a bit one-dimensional. You can hit an acoustic drum in so many different ways, but the electronic kit gives just one type of hit for any particular voice
It probably doesn't make that much, if any, of a difference to the end listener, but this was my experience. I remember having sound pictures in my mind, of hitting the metal rims, the shells, and the expressions one could get from the skins, that just weren't there with an electric kit.
After playing the electronic kit for a year or so, I went out and bought an acoustic kit.
This is what happened with me too. It happened with the double bass as well. Some instruments are at their best unsimulated. For me, drums are just one of them. And there's the benefit of learning to become a diplomat with the neighbours too, so if music fails, one can always branch into working for the diplomatic corps or the UN !

Basic kit is kick, snare, & hi-hats. If you buy used, you can find individual elements. Stay away from the budget/entry level stuff.

Back