Looking for Recommendations - Digital Piano/Synth for Recording

R

ryukahr

Hi there,

I'm a guitar/bass player who does a lot of home recording. Typically, my songs consist of 2 guitar parts, bass and either no drums (I send the drumless tracks to my drummer), or programmed drums in SONAR.

I'm looking into possibly buying a digital piano/synthesizer to add atmosphere/soundscape qualities to my music. For example, sometimes I find that I would like to utilize different synth sounds or piano tones to reinforce melodies, chord progressions, transitions, etc.

A technique I sometimes use to make up for not having a synth is using an Ebow on my guitar to add subtle dynamics to my songs. I then use different out-of-the-box effects in SONAR to mess with the tone. I've had some pretty decent success with this, but as you can imagine it does severely limit the kind of tones I can get.

I think some kind of synthesizer that can also get the sound of a grand piano would be the best thing for me. Or, a grand piano that also is capable of some serious tone manipulation. As you can tell, I'm a newbie in this field.

I'm not looking to spend a ton for something really high-end, maybe something in the $500-$999 range. And also, I'm hoping it can just be plugged right into my audo interface (M-Audio fast-track), as opposed to running it through an amp and recording it with a mic. Or maybe there's some other way I can just plug it directly into my computer and utilize a GUI for tone control.

Any recommendations are welcome. One obscure, but totally relevant reference point I can give is Nobuo Uematsu's (Final Fantasy composer) work. His songs are literred with tons of different sounds which he uses for ambience, chord progressions underneath melodies, and so on.

If you just want to use the keyboard for recording, you could get a midi keyboard controller, connect straight to your computer via USB, and use software synths and samples. A lot less expensive than a keyboard that generates it's own tones, just depends on how many keys and other knobs and such you want.

J

You can pick up an M-Audio MIDI keyboard for $99, and then try out some free VSTi synths before purchasing better ones. Of course MIDI keyboards have no built-in sounds, so You always have ot have them plugged into a computer or iDevice to make sound.

Back