looking for cheap computer to run cakewalk

sunny765

So I started doing some recording on bandlab with my chromebook about 6 months ago. I play guitar/bass, sing, and program my drums and synth. Surprisingly, I've gotten some pretty decent quality recordings going line in with my amps into a cheapo interface, and doing vocals with an SM-58 mic. Honesty, the last track I did was better than stuff my band paid thousands for in the early 2000's. I'm pretty shocked.

My issue is that I've outgrown bandlab and would like to use a legit DAW, where I can lay down more than 16 racks without it being a pain in the neck.
I also want something a buddy of mine can open projects up with in Logic pro on his mac for collaborations. After doing some research, it seems like the free version of cakewalk by bandlab would work just fine for this.

I would like to buy a PC to do this all with, but I'm WAY out of the loop with that stuff these days and have used nothing but chromebooks or my phone for many years now.

The requirements for cakewalks are as follows:
Operating System: Windows 8/8.1, 10, or 11 (64-bit)

Processor: 2.6GHz Intel or AMD multi-core processor (at least Intel i5 or AMD A10 APU recommended)

Memory: 4GB

Hard Drive: 5GB for minimal install (20GB recommended)

Monitor Resolution: 1280x800 (1920 x 1080 recommended)

Audio Interface: ASIO compatible hardware is recommended

While those are the requirements, I'm more looking for a recommendation in regards to the cheapest laptop I can really get away with using that's not going to be a headache.
Can i get away with your typical refurbished entry level laptop running windows 11 like this one, or would this be nothing but problems for what I want to do?
suggestions other than getting an actual desktop, as I travel for work, and It needs to be portable. I enjoy mixing and doing creating drum/synth tracks after work in my hotel room.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-Micro-...1714214056&sprefix=refur,aps,573&sr=8-11&th=1

thoughts?

A Pentium is not the equivalent of a i5 or even an i3. Look for something with an i5 and even then, look for at least a 7th or 8th gen i5. In most listings it will say something like i5 8550u. The 8 means 8th generation. While audio doesn't usually require the most advanced, 8th gen is where you start to be able to upgrade to Windows 11 once 10 is phased off support starting late this year.

The HP Laptop you linked doesn't meet the minimum spec you list.

I just looked quickly and found a 15 inch Lenovo E15 with a 10th gen i5, 16 gig of ram and 512 SSD for $309. I prefer the T series as they are physically more robust. I buy them for my field techs on the regular and they take a lot of abuse and more than do the job. 8th gen will get you what you need for cheaper. I recently bought a couple Lenovo Thinkcentre mini desktops with 8th series i5 for $150 but had to add a $20 M.2 Wi-Fi card. Plenty of good refurbs out there, just need to learn what to look for.

A Pentium is not the equivalent of a i5 or even an i3. Look for something with an i5 and even then, look for at least a 7th or 8th gen i5. In most listings it will say something like i5 8550u. The 8 means 8th generation. While audio doesn't usually require the most advanced, 8th gen is where you start to be able to upgrade to Windows 11 once 10 is phased off support starting late this year.

The HP Laptop you linked doesn't meet the minimum spec you list.

I just looked quickly and found a 15 inch Lenovo E15 with a 10th gen i5, 16 gig of ram and 512 SSD for $309. I prefer the T series as they are physically more robust. I buy them for my field techs on the regular and they take a lot of abuse and more than do the job. 8th gen will get you what you need for cheaper. I recently bought a couple Lenovo Thinkcentre mini desktops with 8th series i5 for $150 but had to add a $20 M.2 Wi-Fi card. Plenty of good refurbs out there, just need to learn what to look for.
Glad I made this post. Thank you so much.

I think I found the same laptop you speak of. So you're saying that I will e able to upgrade to windows 11 with this laptop?
Will I even need to move to windows 11 in the next few years? I'm just looking for an entry level laptop for the next couple years, but I'll eventually go drop a grand or so on a decent one once I gain a bit more experience.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Think...fix=refurbshed+e15+laptop,aps,156&sr=8-3&th=1

Glad I made this post. Thank you so much.

I think I found the same laptop you speak of. So you're saying that I will e able to upgrade to windows 11 with this laptop?
Will I even need to move to windows 11 in the next few years? I'm just looking for an entry level laptop for the next couple years, but I'll eventually go drop a grand or so on a decent one once I gain a bit more experience.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Business-i5-10210U-Accessories/dp/B08M3TVP9S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=CMJZTV6VOZOD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.8XQJOEkSTjJgGfpmB3-e9JLgPvO9YyzPUnKvQkV47rkvi8T9vooM5Ha-E3CTa3s1Fz_KQhRSxEglyrlIO00pHMyrIrNNiXkZj7HEpfixEO48hIa7nKuz0bscoMWuvfBfs0eOvqCasChq9inzGgrQydGEFNGkAjNMU-f5ns2cPDJ8a74l26FBHeSsM9KEK2feyK9XzCFbTLPinFv03LlRCr2hLYLh9dieo-x9yiR6zRA.OC3yvOjwoJaBQGHvhFAddTUPE461DAuc9H07DS2aLEk&dib_tag=se&keywords=refurbished+e15+laptop&qid=1714230171&sprefix=refurbshed+e15+laptop,aps,156&sr=8-3&th=1
As I mentioned, I recently purchased a bunch of Lenovo mini PC's. I was working on a big project that is now over and needed a PC that programmers could remote into. I took these and built a bunch of mini audio workstations for musician friends I am working with. The 7th gen stuff came up as not compatible with Win11 but the 8th gen ones are. Best bet if important to you, is to do a google search on the particular gen processor you are considering. 10th Gen i5 would be but please don't take some rando who posts nonsense online word for it, confirm for yourself first.

FYI, even the 6500-7500 series i5's are running Cubase and Ableton LE with no issue even with a decent amount of VST's and plugins. Until you are up to large number of tracks, it doesn't take a very powerful PC to do audio.

My daughter got one of these HP Elitebooks. It seems to a fairly nice machine, is Win11 capable. She wanted one that would work with her Thunderbolt G2 dock. As Folkcafe said, go 8th gen or better on the processors. It has a Thunderbolt 3 connector. I don't know of anyone who has tried using an audio interface with it but it might be an option. Lots of TBolt 3 interfaces out there!

https://www.amazon.com/HP-EliteBook...id=1714348431&sprefix=ELitebook+,aps,102&th=1

Back