Looking for an audio interface/ mixer

MrMusicMan

hi, im looking to record drums and so im looking for a mixer of about 10 channels, i'd also like at least a few of these channels to have phantom power as well as maybe a couple of guitar line ins, as well as a midi input. also it needs headphone and speaker outputs and built in mic preamps. I think thats everything XD thanks!

I'd be thinking about a firepod or similar . . . eight channels with mike preamps, of which six can also be line-in, with the other two doubling as instrument ins.

Tascam US 1800 has 10 preamps. Two of those are also High z guitar inputs. 1-4 or 5-8 selectable phantom power. 4 additional line inputs and a digital in for total of 16 separate tracks to DAW. And MIDI. On sale now for $223 at Guitar Center.

Stuff on my website was recorded with the 1800 or it's almost identical discontinued predecessor the US 1641.

Last edited:
I think the Tascam for $223 is a pretty dang good deal. Amazon is matching the price as well. Almost makes me want to pick one up as I would like to expand to a multi-channel interface.

I think the Tascam for $223 is a pretty dang good deal. Amazon is matching the price as well. Almost makes me want to pick one up as I would like to expand to a multi-channel interface.

Well grab one. Worse case scenario you can sell to a member here for $150 if you don't like it.

It is nice to not have to change cables to record stuff. Especially if you are using templates in DAW. Just keep the same inputs for each project and it ready to go when you fire it up. :)

Great thanks ill check out that tascam one. Sounds good because ideally id be looking to record drums on about 7 channels and then a vocal and electric guitar and maybe a bass. Is it 8 mic and then 2 line in?

Oh also (im a newbie so sorry if this sounds stupid) but is it possile to get those 10 imputs to record onto 10 tracks i can do it with both inputs on my steinberg ur22 is it possible to do it with the tascam us1800?

Oh also (im a newbie so sorry if this sounds stupid) but is it possile to get those 10 imputs to record onto 10 tracks i can do it with both inputs on my steinberg ur22 is it possible to do it with the tascam us1800?

Yes, that is the point of the multi-channel inputs. One for each track in the DAW.

I took Jimmy's advise and got a Tascam US-1800 and I do not regret it. It is a very good unit, easy to use and sounds great. You can track a whole band.

im starting to get concerned about buying this after reading a number of reviews on amazon that say their unit is faulty and cannot be reterned due to the licencing on the bundled software, i must admit is putting me off purchasing

im starting to get concerned about buying this after reading a number of reviews on amazon that say their unit is faulty and cannot be reterned due to the licencing on the bundled software, i must admit is putting me off purchasing

Don't open the software until you know the unit works. Plus, I think most of those people are screwing something up for them not to be able to returned.

I see 2 people complaining specifically about that, and a couple of other 'stopped working' or 'clicking noise' complaints - these all indicate to me people who have not set up the units correctly (driver set up is the most often-found problem).

i think all of the brands ive had included some reboots from time to time.

the clicking is usually clipping or background programs running....i been there done that one.
kill the internet, kill everything, kill the virus software, kill everything when recording and the clicking stops usually.

ive had stopped working issues, but it was usually due to Windows performing the upgrade.
as explained to me, windows will updtae drivers and stuff for the general population and that often messes up the audio config if you have a "real audio interface" so the USB and drivers have to be reloaded.
ive never had that issue since I turned off Auto Update...per the gang here.
then when Im loafing I might do a update now and then, when im not recording/mixing.

but then with all that...there is a peace of mind to buying new at the local store with return policy and no shipping fees.

The problem for me is knowing that should something go wrong i cant get my money back also i run windows 8 so idk if there will be the right drivers?

OP, there is a difference between returning it and exchanging it. I am sure you can exchange it if it is defective, many people here use the interface so we know it is a good one. That is what you asked to start the thread. All this other stuff is really not relevant to the original question.

a few ways to go

the tascam is a great deal as well as the presonus stuff...depending on your budget... i would take a serious look at focusrite as well if you are looking for a multi channel input interface. However if you already have an AD/DA converter that sendsthe stuff to computer then just multi channel preamps chained in will work... i personally like to deal with the guys at sweetwater.com good luck

Back