Looking For Advice On Setting Up For Audio Recording/Production

TGibson

So I'm planning to build a setup for producing/recording music! I'm not too experienced, and have always made ways to avoid having physical hardware for my digital recordings(FL-ASIO, Rocksmith USB cable, Audacity audio streaming and digital audio cable). However, the latency is horrible and ASIO4ALL restrains me from hearing my own playing while recording line-in, which is why I used FL ASIO.

I don't plan to use a mic, I'd like a build that is compatible with virtual amps(BIAS FX, Guitar Rig).

Can anyone help me out?

What I have planned:
Radial Pro Dl Passive Direct Box
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st GENERATION) USB Audio Interface
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX 7.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp

What I already have:
Quad Core 3.4 GHz Intel Haswell
Onboard sound card(RealTek High Definition Audio)
Reaper DAW
Guitar Rig 5
Windows 7

Not exactly sure I'd need both an audio interface AND a sound card from what I've been reading, but any input would be very much appreciated. :)

I'm assuming the connection procedure is: Guitar -> Audio Interface -> PC on-board USB -> Win7 -> DAW -> Playback through USB headphones.

I aim to be able to hear my guitar through my headphones as I'm recording, otherwise it's really hard to tell what kind of sounds I'm getting real-time.

The interface is going to be your most useful acquisition. It is the lack of an interface and a reliance on your RealTek audio that is the source of your latency.

If you want to focus on recording, then get the interface. The DI will come in handy, maybe. Forget the Sound Blaster.

The key to successful recordings is to think of the interface as your soundcard. Everything goes into it. Everything (headphones, speakers) comes out of it.

The 2i4 has pretty low latency, you may not notice a delay when using Guitar Rig, but that also depends on your computer. Once you get the 2i4, never, ever use ASIO4ALL again!!!! It is a band-aid program and not necessary for interfaces with their own ASIO drivers.

As Gecko said, forget the soundblaster card. You don't need it. Also, not sure why you mentioned the DI box, unless you have other applications for it. You can plug your guitar right into the 2i4.

You mentioned USB headphones.... not sure what you mean, but you need to plug your headphones into the 2i4. You won't be able to select any multiple output devices. Only one output device at a time.
You didn't mention monitors or room treatment. Two very important components to a good mix.

Welcome to the site.

So there is no way to hear the FX real-time? That's no big deal.

Also, what do you mean by monitors?
Room treatment?

I really, really appreciate the feedback. I ordered the audio interface as well as some compatible headphones. Hoping to get the desired results.

Monitors as in loudspeakers and room treatment as in gizmos to tame and temper the impact your room surfaces have on how the music travels to your ears.

Ah, I don't have anything other than headphones set up. I don't think I'd need room treatment if all audio is internalized right?

Ah, I don't have anything other than headphones set up. I don't think I'd need room treatment if all audio is internalized right?

True enough.

If you are using headphones then the qualities o the room are a non-issue.

However, if you pursue recording as a more serious endeavour, you will end up with speakers. That's because (with the right speaker and the appropriate room treatment) they give a better indication of what you've recorded than headphones.

WRT the Realtek soundcard.
You don't/should not need to do this these days but, since you don't have the 2i4 yet?

Before you install the interface, go to Device Manager and disable the Realtek card (not "uninstall". Disable)
Next go into Sounds and Devices and stop the Windows Sounds, those irritating bleeps and bloops. You will probably still get a startup sound but that's ok.

Might as well forestall operational pitfalls! Levels: You need to have the "meat" or average level running at -18dB ("Full "Scale". ) That is about 1/2 way up the DAW* meters and LOOKS puny! Do not worry, all will work out fine at the mixing stage. You want to be running 24bits and 44.1kHz.

*DAW, don't think the Focusrite comes with anything terrible useful? Have a bash with Reaper.

Dave.

I got the interface today, works very nicely! Actively adds FX to my audio real-time so I can hear the sounds as well as the clean signal if needed.

Any tips for speakers and room treatment? I am very serious about recording.

And is there a way to hear streaming audio through Windows and the audio from my interface simultaneously? Or do I have to use speakers for metronome/hearing my tracks while recording?

What software are you recording with? They all AFAIK have a built in metronome/click. Certainly Reaper will.

The interface has a "blend " control that allows you to listen to the backing track as you play along. You have a new interface and (I hope!) some very complex software. You are going to be very busy for the next few days!

Don't be in too big a hurry to get monitors and room treatment (unless you have 1 or 2000 $$ to chuck at them immediately?). Spend some time with headphones and getting to know the hard and software.
Do you have another audio system? If so, burn some songs to CD (or dump on USB stick) and try them on that and see how they stand up against commercial recordings of a similar genre.

Devour all relevant data on monitors and rooms. Lots on the forum but also look at online issues of Sound on Sound magazine.

Dave.

And is there a way to hear streaming audio through Windows and the audio from my interface simultaneously? Or do I have to use speakers for metronome/hearing my tracks while recording?
Typically not, though one or two DAW programs might allow you to select multiple interfaces. But as Dave said, the DAW program you use will have a metronome function. And that will help to keep your audio aligned to a timeline in the DAW. Trust me, when you go to edit later on, you'll like having everything aligned to the timeline.

When tracking, you want to use headphones so the metronome clicks do not get picked up. Some might suggest using earbuds, but closed-back headphones are more comfortable, imo. Definitely do not use vented or open-back headphones. Too much bleed.

So I set everything up and it works amazingly.

I run my guitar through the Scarlett Focusrite 4i2, which uses a 2.0 to 3.0 USB into my PC. I also plug in my MXL 990 microphone into input 2 so I can use either one whenever I need to.
I move to EZMix 2, set the device to ASIO Focusrite device, and it applies the FX. So I don't hear both the FX and the clean signal, I set it so the output is the playback(FX signal). At that point, I can adjust the gain and volume accordingly.

As for hearing my Windows streaming sound, I can actually set the line out as my default playback device in Windows. The tracks play automatically through my audio interface and don't interfere with recording.
Metronome is built into Reaper, and I can fix any timing problems easily with splitting and time selection. Whether I use speakers or headphones hasn't made an impact on my recording quality, not even my drums resonate through my guitar or interfere with the signal, though I do prefer headphones.

All-in-all, works amazingly. Thank you so much for all the advice. No buzz, very little latency(can't even notice), and the quality is so much better than anything I've ever used.
Also Reaper is an amazing DAW, the virtual instruments and MIDI are awesome.

anything through the speakers also shows up in the headphones. One way to get the monitoring latency to zero is to use something like a Pod or something on a split, listen to the pod while recording just the dry guitar signal, or record both, no harm done in that regard. I am not certain about the Focusrite, but I would never get an interface that does not have S/PDIF in and out, it is very handy when you wish to import sounds from the internet. You also might try Wasapi in the dropdown menu in preferences in Reaper. Obviously acquiring an interface made this moot, but for those who are still using Windows 7 you can set the latency very low, I use a laptop with a very inexpensive USB dongle (Sabrent, about seven bucks) for my live keyboard rig, generating VST sounds via Midi and a Midi/USB box for input. And it works perfectly. And this is an older laptop, Sony Vaio, freeware organ and piano sounds, the Midi I/O is by Midi Plus, about thirty bucks at Amazon. It is a wonderful time to be alive if you are creative, a twenty buck yard sale Yamaha kid's keyboard with a MIDI out sounds like the finest of instruments....

Back