Looking for a good INEXPENSIVE recording software

They claim it can record music with their low latency ASIO drivers so this would suggest that its full duplex capabilities are designed not to bottleneck the incoming audio stream. Let us know with a test record. :)

Shitty sound cards will throttle the data when you try and playback and record at the same time leading to obvious delays and even time stretching of the recorded signal.

Last edited:
Yeah thats what was happening with Audacity on this computer. I would have to do little snippets of tracks at a time because the time would be off so bad. At first it would be fine, then slowly get off time, to where it was just unbearable. This card is sposed to be for gamers using headsets and microphones, so I'm sure its designed to give and take at the same time. At least I hope so anyways. Definitely will give a report when I get the comp in. I have a feeling thats what I'll be spending most of my vacation playing with, lol.

Awesome!!!

Just downloaded Reaper!!!

I am pretty new to recording. Or at least, I'm only starting to get interested in setting myself up to record really well. I was using Sonic Foundry, and just plugging straight into my computer's (crap) sound card for a couple of years. Then I sort of couldn't use my computer for ages. But then my girlfriend very nicely got me a little mixer with a mic preamp in it and though it's not as suitable as an interface, of course, it is far superior to what I was using. Then I started looking around for free DAWs on the net and downloaded Audacity and I was sort of excited to be writing and recording again. Then I read this forum thread and downloaded Reaper and WOW! SO, SO, So so awesome!!! I honestly thought I was going to have to fork out some big money to get a good program, but this is far better than I expected for free/$40 (practically free). And so much better than Audacity. It actually feels professional, rather than like some dinky toy (no offence Audacity users/programmers).

Thanks! :)

They claim it can record music with their low latency ASIO drivers so this would suggest that its full duplex capabilities are designed not to bottleneck the incoming audio stream. Let us know with a test record. :)

Shitty sound cards will throttle the data when you try and playback and record at the same time leading to obvious delays and even time stretching of the recorded signal.

Yes but this card in particular should have no problems handling extensive recording projects. This isn't just an everyday x-fi card

What is the difference between the $40 and the $150 version of REAPER? I think I'll get it once my room is ready :)

Can i hijack your thread for 2 seconds? Thanks. You seem nice.

Keep in mind you are going to need a means of monitoring. This means being able to hear in your headphones what you are playing mixed ogether with the previously recorded tracks you need to stay in time and in tune with, while at the same time ONLY sending the new material to the sound card for recording. Your sound card may provide this function for you by automatically mixing the line in signal with the signal coming from the software and putting that mix on the line out. (That's how my soundcard works and it is great). Others have posted that not all sound cards do this. If yours doesn't, and you go the mixer route, you'll want to make sure the mixer will provide this functionality.

In theory you can get a monitor mix from your software, but this very often has a slight time delay which can range from insignificant to annoying to completely debilitating.

Good luck
J

I have a Xynyx x2222USB mixer. I assume this board can do what i hilighted above..... but how? I assume it has something to do with the red 2tr/usb buttons, but i can't figure it out....

There are two red buttons, one to the left of the phones/ctrl room knob labelled "2TR/USB", and the other either above or below the knob (can't remember which it is) labells "2TR/USB to Main". These buttons control what happens to the signal coming from the computer into the mixer through your USB cord. Notice how the one to the left of the knob is part of a group that are captured in a bracket leading to an arrow pointing to the phones/ctrl room knob. These are routing controls for the headphone/control room output from the mixer. You will hear in the headphones or on the control room output any of them that are pressed in. So if you want to hear the cueing track from the computer, you press the 2TR/USB button in. If you also want to hear what's coming in through your mics or other input signals, you press the Main button in.

The other red button, "2TR/USB to Main", controls whether the computer signal ends up in the Main outputs. Most of the time you don't want that (you only want your mic or other input signals in the mains), so leave that button out unless you have some particular reason for wanting it in...

That setup ("2TR/USB" and "Main" to the left of the phone control both IN, and "2TR/USB to Main" OUT) should give you what is highlighted above at the headphone out and control room out jacks.

Let me know how you make out.

Enjoy!
J

What is the difference between the $40 and the $150 version of REAPER? I think I'll get it once my room is ready :)

If you buy the $150 version the boss at Reaper in Sweden will shout his coders a beer and you'll get a warm fuzzy feeling from knowing that you've made some strangers happy... :laughings:

There's no difference... it's a licence fee depending upon who the user is... so single users like you with extra cash pay $150, businesses operating for commercial gain pay $150 and pretty much the rest of us pay $40, or, as we call it in Australia, $41.39, once converted.. :D

K! So I got the new computer last night, and after a brief problem concerning the super old wireless card I have, this thing is SIIIIICK. Literally like driving a Ferrari after having my old Explorer for all the years that i have. And the soundcard is absolutely nuts. Its actually got a mixing station built into it already with onboard effects and shit.

Anyways, I have Reaper downloaded and installed already, but I dont have all my cables and mics and stuff with me because I didnt get to go to practice Sunday, but tonight I'll grab em and get started!!! I'm pumped!

K! So I got the new computer last night, and after a brief problem concerning the super old wireless card I have, this thing is SIIIIICK. Literally like driving a Ferrari after having my old Explorer for all the years that i have. And the soundcard is absolutely nuts. Its actually got a mixing station built into it already with onboard effects and shit.

Anyways, I have Reaper downloaded and installed already, but I dont have all my cables and mics and stuff with me because I didnt get to go to practice Sunday, but tonight I'll grab em and get started!!! I'm pumped!

Congrats and glad for your excitement. Keep us up to date with your recordings and any questions you may have! Good Luck!

You can be sure I'll have questions all the time, lol. but for right now its just learning how to use the program and getting a good sound set up on my amp. Been playing with fx and stuff too on reaper. Trying to understand how they work.

You can be sure I'll have questions all the time, lol. but for right now its just learning how to use the program and getting a good sound set up on my amp. Been playing with fx and stuff too on reaper. Trying to understand how they work.

Yeah the FX in there are cool and pretty self explanatory once you fool around with them. Have fun.

Back