Looking for a good INEXPENSIVE recording software

Guitarfreak585

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, been playing guitar for 12 years or so now, but I am lost as hell when it comes to all this home recording stuff. I have just ordered a computer today to serve as my home PC, but pretty much the only things I'll do on it will be surfing the web, and recording my little home projects. But I have no idea what kind of recording software I need. The comp is a dual core i3 processor, 4 gigs of ram, 3.2 ghz, so it should run most basic programs without much problem I think.

Now honestly, this is really only for my enjoyment, and for kicking around ideas in my head. Working on ideas for my cover band, working on harmonies, and my little acoustic projects that I do from time to time. In no way do I need this to be pro grade stuff. But after using Audacity, I know that I need a program of a little higher caliber than that. I hated using that program. Can't use effects in real time, have to make a new track every time you hit record, effects were hard to use, and if you got it wrong, you have to clear it, bring up the menu again, and then hope that the settings you pick that time were different from before.

Really, I'll probably just be using the recording output on my little practice amp running into my new sound cards 1/8th inch mic jack. It also has the red and white audio inputs on it but I'm not sure how to go from the amp to that without a mixer in between. Which I would like to get eventually. Maybe I'll go pawn shop hoppin soon and get a cheap one.

I know this is not ideal, but it doesnt need to be for right now. I'll add small its here and there when I can. But for now I just need software. Whats good and whats not? Under 100 dollars if possible please.

And... What WOULD be the next step in gear to buy?

Hi Guitarfreak!

There is a very simple solution to your question, and the answer is REAPER. Google it and download it!

It's free for a test trial (like 1 or 2 months...I forget), but after that's up, you're supposed to pay $40 if you want to keep using it! It still works if you don't pay though (but you should, $40 is cheap compared to other DAWs)

REAPER | Download

You download a triial version thats's fully functional and it's only $40 once you decide to buy it (unless they've gone up since I got it). It's really good software. Competes with anything out there.

As for hardware, you'll need a USB audio interface unless you happen to have a top notch sound card in your computer (not likely unless you chose it for this purpose). Google "Audio Interface" or search these forums. You should be able to get for under $100. Make sure you get one with Phantom Power (most have it) so that if you get more into this in the future you'll be able to use a condenser mic.

After that, it would be either a decent microphone or monitors. From there it goes on and on...

Good luck,
J

Then your going to need to down load Reaper go ahead and google it up and go for it everything there will be self explanatory $40. if you like it if not you don't pay.
Then your going to need an interface with preamps, some microphones, monitors, headphones, cabling.
Then read as much as you can to get you past the noob phase then ask all your questions one at a time here if you get stuck.

And welcome to the forums Guitarfreak585.

The sound card I ordered is a Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card. Not geared towards recording, but I think it should be a good one.

Also, I found a little Mackie two channel mixer that I think would work for what I'm doing. Then I could run the red and white cables from it to the sound card. Which would be great for if I try to sing and play at the same time. I think anyways.

Haha oops too late, I already ordered the comp. But I'll want the sound card for music listening anyways so it wont go to waste.

See why I need you guys? I know dick about any of this stuff.

Just FYI:
A mixer or preamp into a high end sound card is kinda the old fashioned way to do it, but it does work. (It's what I have.) So, if you already have the mixer or have some use for one and want to buy it either way, hook it up to your soundcard and go! If not, for the price of a mixer worth having you can probably get a proper interface...

J

Just FYI:
A mixer or preamp into a high end sound card is kinda the old fashioned way to do it, but it does work. (It's what I have.) So, if you already have the mixer or have some use for one and want to buy it either way, hook it up to your soundcard and go! If not, for the price of a mixer worth having you can probably get a proper interface...

J
Well it looks like I can get this two channel Mackie mixer (which is really all I'd need) for a hundred bucks and use the mics and cables I have, or I can go get a little M-Audio interface thinger for about the same money. So I dunno.

Glad to hear people suggesting REAPER. Seems like i've even heard of Pro-Tools folks migrating to it. I finally bought a license after demoing for about a year. Great Value and it gets updates frequently.

Keep in mind you are going to need a means of monitoring. This means being able to hear in your headphones what you are playing mixed ogether with the previously recorded tracks you need to stay in time and in tune with, while at the same time ONLY sending the new material to the sound card for recording. Your sound card may provide this function for you by automatically mixing the line in signal with the signal coming from the software and putting that mix on the line out. (That's how my soundcard works and it is great). Others have posted that not all sound cards do this. If yours doesn't, and you go the mixer route, you'll want to make sure the mixer will provide this functionality.

In theory you can get a monitor mix from your software, but this very often has a slight time delay which can range from insignificant to annoying to completely debilitating.

Good luck
J

Last edited:
Keep in mind you are going to need a means of monitoring. This means being able to hear in your headphones what you are playing mixed ogether with the previously recorded tracks you need to stay in time and in tune with, while at the same time ONLY sending the new material to the sound card for recording. Your sound card may provide this function for you by automatically mixing the line in signal with the signal coming from the software and putting that mix on the line out. (That's how my soundcard works and it is great). Others have posted that not all sound cards do this. If yours doesn't, and you go the mixer route, you'll want to make sure the mixer will provide this functionality.

In theory you can get a monitor mix from your software, but this very often has a slight time delay which can range from insignificant to annoying to completely debilitating.

Good luck
J

Yeah I'm hoping that wont be the case this time. The comp I ordered is WAAAAAAY beyond what this 10 year old hunk of scrap is, and it's done its job until now. I also ordered a pretty nice sound card I think. much better than whatever would come "stock" on a motherboard or what have you. I know very little about these things.

Back