lol...here's my "low-fi" punk song thing.

Dude, you are still missing the point.

Nobody has to like punk, I hate a lot of it.

BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO ARGUE ABOUT SOMETHING YOU BETTER HAVE A FUCKIN CLUE!!!

You start up a bunch of shit about lo-fi recording techniques sucking and use punk music as your reference. Then you name a bunch of bands that HAVE NOTHING TO DO with punk other than being marginally influenced by other bands that were influenced by punk.

If you are gonna step into the ring make sure you know what you are fighting about.

The discussion was about high budget bands adopting Lo Fi recording techniques as a "style". Not "what I think is Lo- Fi punk music sucks".

And is it just me or did BSabbath quote himself and then agree? ;)

TexRoadkill said:
And is it just me or did BSabbath quote himself and then agree? ;)

Yeah! Isn't that illegal or something!?

I think Frank Zappa summed it up best (paraphrasing):

The ultimate rule ought to be: If it sounds good to you, it's bitchen; And if it sounds bad to you, it's shitty.

I think that the problem people have with you WEBCYAN, is that you're stating something that is by definition a matter of opinion as if it were a fact. I love Tool; Although I think they peaked with Undertow and are becoming a little too formulaic for their own good.

I also love alot of music that you would probably contend is crap. However, it's obvious from the arguments you are making that you don't speak from knowledge or experience. And the song you posted makes it painfully obvious that you think its alot easier than it really is.

It's not all that easy to make a three chord song compelling, but some people can. It doesn't take any less skill than writing a song in twelve different time signatures like Tool does, just a different kind of skill.

Anyway, this isn't what you want to hear, but you will grow out of this judgemental attitude.

And that's about as much energy as I'm willing to devote to opening your (third) eyes.:)

Just keep at it, cause it's obvious that you're passionate about music.

-Glenn

Lame Thrower said:

Yeah! Isn't that illegal or something!?

I think Frank Zappa summed it up best (paraphrasing):

The ultimate rule ought to be: If it sounds good to you, it's bitchen; And if it sounds bad to you, it's shitty.

I think that the problem people have with you WEBCYAN, is that you're stating something that is by definition a matter of opinion as if it were a fact. I love Tool; Although I think they peaked with Undertow and are becoming a little too formulaic for their own good.

I also love alot of music that you would probably contend is crap. However, it's obvious from the arguments you are making that you don't speak from knowledge or experience. And the song you posted makes it painfully obvious that you think its alot easier than it really is.

It's not all that easy to make a three chord song compelling, but some people can. It doesn't take any less skill than writing a song in twelve different time signatures like Tool does, just a different kind of skill.

Anyway, this isn't what you want to hear, but you will grow out of this judgemental attitude.

And that's about as much energy as I'm willing to devote to opening your (third) eyes.:)

Just keep at it, cause it's obvious that you're passionate about music.

-Glenn

Yeah dude you are so right! I can't believe how insightful and thought provoking that post was!

Preach on brother!!!:D

"The ultimate rule ought to be: If it sounds good to you, it's bitchen; And if it sounds bad to you, it's shitty. "

:) i agree.

Sometimes i might seem a little bi-polar to you all. I just get too passionate about the music i like sometimes.

I'll totally lay off putting down any music that others might like if others stop putting down what i like.

clearly im probably the biggest apc fan ever. and on the totally oposite spectrum i happen to like linkin park. im not sure why though. i cant think of any other "nu metal" band that i like, but i do like them...
I also like smashing pumpkins, alice in chains, soundgarden, tool, manson, nin, fiona apple, outkast, alanis morisette(only the older stuff), orgy, and many other various bands. im not as narrow minded about music as you might think.

WEBCYAN said:

btw....where is Johnson City....do I need to come down from Ky Lake, and smack ya upside da head!!! You may be toooo close!!!

Johnson city....sounds phalic...:D

(scuze me for having fun at the expense of others!!)

north-east tennesse. near bristol, kingsport.

why would you smack my head? what have i and sonnylarsen said that is so wrong? i want details and reasons for these details.

I thought the song-thing was cool. Unhinged & cool.

It's definitely one of the most different, uncommercial sounding clips I've ever downloaded. Not a masterpiece or anything, just weird and fun to listen to. The riffs were dissonant, but it held together loosely, and almost gelled a couple of times into something cohesive. I'm sure I have some clips that are comparable to this clip, relatively speaking.

Hey, I disagree with most of your musical judgements and opinions, as I've read on this board, but it's obvious that you're having fun with recording, and I'm in favor of that./DA

thats all it was. just having fun. i would never put it on an album though. :)

i know what you mean about it gelling together a few times. only like twice though.

i might try this next time to come up with new riffs...just kind of do whatever comes to mind and pick out what works.

my brother said that the part after i go "one two three four" sounds like a song by garbage. im not sure which one he's talking about, i dont think ive heard it. anyone else hear that?

what does everyone think of the drums?

obviously the guitars, bass, and vox were done up in like 15 minutes and no thought was given to mixing and whatnot, but i did spend some time on the drums.

its actually a loop i made using some drum machine software.

at about 2:11 when i was recording the guitar the drum track bled into the guitar mic a little and it produced this wierd clicking groan type noise. it sounds very similar to the end of "The Remedy" by Abandon Pools, so im guessing thats what he did to get that sound.

What the Fudge?

That was some seriously wacky shit. Did you do the thing where you tap the pencils on your desk and program the drums to that for that "Real Feel"? :p Anyway I know you were kidding... (yeah right). Can you post one of your real tunes for us to pacify the desire for the truth.

Fangar

Johnson City is exactly two clicks from nowhere. Although they do have a modest mall which serves as the cultural mecca for the entire region.

The drums?

I thought they sounded like a machine/programmed beat, but also with a slight live feel, or edge.

I noticed right away that it was a softsynth drum, but the pinging of the cymbals, and a certain slight raggediness in the beat, reminded me so much of some of my "experimental" drumming, [on my previous lofi drum kit, from years ago], that the sound of it almost had me guessing that it was live drums, at times. I thought the pinging of the cymbal, especially, reminded me some of my older recorded drum tracks, just in the way the whole drum synth sounded, it seemed pretty realistic, for a 'puter.

The drum track is lo-fi, but realistic enough for simple home recording, and with the overall lack of structure that this song-thing represents, it fits perfectly. Drum sounds sure have improved since the day of my Roland TR-606!

You're right, that messing around with recording like that, with total abandon, is a good way to find or develop new musical ideas, or phrases. Oh yeah, and it's just plain fun.

================

BTW, I thought WEB was at the cultural mecca of Johnson City,...

the University Campus, aka "Babe Central".

I forgot about the university...yeah, it has a nice campus from what I've seen driving through it. Can't comment on the girls though....

well one of them left my dorm just 30 mintues ago. :D

yes, johnson city is rather boring...but considering the alternative of living in the mountains like one big family(literally) its not so bad. im moving soon though... :cool:

The choice is yours man......I want to encourage you but I don't even know what to say........Just do it bro.......Take some ritalin or something...it will help you focus.....you need to focus, focus, focus , focus........

HOLY SHIT I almost spit hot tea all over my monitor!!!!

Seriously, dude....you should quit trying to clown on stuff you don't like or understand....fucking drop it already!

I'm not trying to be dick but how many threads are you going to drag your tired argument over?! GOOD...tool rules or something and punk is crap....fine.....just put it to bed now.

I think any point you try to make would go better stated by something seriously recorded. Dopey jokes just suck up bandwidth and some of these dudes probably have to wait 15 minutes to download a bad joke.:rolleyes:

Stop being a crazy person!

damn, heylow

Heylow, seriously, you gotta stop holding back and bottling up your feelings...it's just not healthy. Tell us what you think, and also, stop being so polite...:rolleyes:

I still agree with myself.

i listen to punk...not pop-punk, more underground stuff....

i wouldn't call it puink....ha.

i agree with slack - crap not punk haha.

Back