Logic Pro 9 Mixing Chain Hip Hop Vocals

Iwannamix

What should the basic Chain for mixing hip hop vocals be in sequence like this
1.EQ
2.Compression
3Reverb(Bus)

Tell me what effects or VST;s you add for your hip hop vocals that sound Perfect for you. IT can be more than 3 steps

What should the basic Chain for mixing hip hop vocals be in sequence like this
1.EQ
2.Compression
3Reverb(Bus)

tbf, that'd do it for me. maybe set up the compressor as a parallel comp (if you're using the stock logic comp you can adjust the mix of it) and maybe delay rather than reverb, but it'd all depend on the track

there's a couple of ways, but the easiest is to insert the stock logic compressor onto the vocal track, open the extra menu using the little arrow in the bottom left of the compressor and adjust the "output mix"

Compressorextras.png

ScreenShot2012-05-01at004306.png

another way is to set a compressor on separate bus and use the aux send on the vocal track to send the signal to the compressor bus. the danger of this is that with some third party plugins the plugin latency compensation doesn't kick in properly and you end up with a phased vocal sound, although i've not any problems doing it with the stock logic compressor.

another way is to copy the vocal track and put it on a separate channel. heavily compress one and leave the other dry and blend in the heavily compressed one

aaah i didnt know about that :) thanks!! can you give any hints on how to get good eq sound like pro hip hop..?

how to get good eq sound like pro hip hop..?
With the right vocalist, in front of the right mic, going through the right preamp, you probably won't even need to engage the EQ. You use EQ how you need it for every individual purpose.

Make the vocals sound clean: Make sure to use a de esser, and use a gate to remove any breaths or background noise.
EQ: You're going to want to use a low pass filter on the vox to take out any Sub lows. Leave that section for the kick and low instruments. HPF around 80 Hz and boost your voice around 2K Hz.
Not really sure what kind of Hip Hop your working with but I listen to a lot of Odd Future and they use a lot of telephone effects along with pitch shift effects. I'm pretty sure they use logic for their albums.
to get a telephone effect, you should use a pretty heavy amount of compression use the overdrive effect and high pass the vocals around 500 hz and also low pass the vocals. Boost at 2 K again.
Pitch shift is pretty self explanatory.

Back