Living My Life Online...2020 thoughts!

msnickybee

All help mixing this one super gratefully received!!!!! Kind of some of the things I thought about 2020 when I wrote this one.
All played by me, electric guitar parts (unwisely) on acoustic lol, and tried out my uBass thing.
Really grateful for your viewpoints! (as I've struggled).
Mixcraft recorded, Audient id14 n stuff.

Last edited:
I liked it. Has a sort of BeeGees vibe due to the vocal. There's not a lot to nit pik.....but two things. The main vocal seems a little too up front and a little dry compared to the other tracks. The harmonies sit well and feel like they're in the same sound stage.....but the main vocal doesn't IMO. Lastly and VERY unimportant but the fade to the end seems a bit too long and drawn out.

2 cents worth of.......hey...not much to say except....nice work!!

Mick

It sounds like you have the skill required to make a recording sound artistically alike. It does not sound like someone taking stabs in the dark.

The falsetto, leads are cool. The bass has a kinda Frumpy bottom to it 70's like. The mix is 80's. Guitars are light and poppy. The long fade at the end is calming.

More Jamiroquai than BeeGees but I dig it. Virtual Insanity.

Last edited:
Hey, @msnickybee! It's good to hear you back again. Your lead vocal seems to be smoother than some previous offerings. Nicer. It's fine until it comes back in @ :26.. it's louder than the intro - a bit up front. I think it would mix better at the opening volume, or a tad lower.

When the drums come back in @ 3:06 they blend better with the music. It seems like you adjusted something else besides their volume. They kinda poked out a bit before.

All that aside, I once again enjoyed hearing your sparkling voice. I'm always amazed by it's clarity :listeningmusic::guitar:

I liked it. Has a sort of BeeGees vibe due to the vocal. There's not a lot to nit pik.....but two things. The main vocal seems a little too up front and a little dry compared to the other tracks. The harmonies sit well and feel like they're in the same sound stage.....but the main vocal doesn't IMO. Lastly and VERY unimportant but the fade to the end seems a bit too long and drawn out.

2 cents worth of.......hey...not much to say except....nice work!!

Mick
Love this! Thanks so much for listening Mick!
You really helped...got me to go back and NOT have thought of what you said! (ie that they don't sound in the same "sound stage"). Truly great advice. So, I've tweaked it. Not easy to get right, is it!?
Also, I've tried to change the fade...also not easy to get right! I kind of love long silly outros (it's my thing), but you're right, the fade isn't quite right, it fades initially a bit, then stays, then fades later...
Where did you learn to do this?
Not sure of the question! But that's because...I'm not a very confident person, so you my initial reaction is "have I learnt anything? what's being suggested?".
You get the idea... poor self-esteem lol
So, yes, I could dribble on and on about this kind of stuff, if you're truly interested! (as to what, where, how I've "learnt") just let me know here!

It sounds like you have the skill required to make a recording sound artistically alike. It does not sound like someone taking stabs in the dark.

The falsetto, leads are cool. The bass has a kinda Frumpy bottom to it 70's like. The mix is 80's. Guitars are light and poppy. The long fade at the end is calming.

More Jamiroquai than BeeGees but I dig it. Virtual Insanity.
Oh! Thanks! I've tried. Takes me quite a long time really, I know folks who are a LOT quicker, but I don't rush (even tho in my head I'm very impatient ha ha).
Oh! the bass....right...well, I'm a *very big* Macca (and Beatles obv) fan, esp 70s, so that was kind of my hope.
80s? Well, born in '68, the 80s is kind of my time I guess, but 70s music... Gerry Rafferty, McCartney, Eagles... I want the bass of McCartney, his sense of melody, the songwriting of Neil Finn/Crowded House, and the acoustic guitar sound of The Eagles...tough one!
Also, I'd settle for Mike Oldfield's "moonlight shadow"....
Hey, @msnickybee! It's good to hear you back again. Your lead vocal seems to be smoother than some previous offerings. Nicer. It's fine until it comes back in @ :26.. it's louder than the intro - a bit up front. I think it would mix better at the opening volume, or a tad lower.

When the drums come back in @ 3:06 they blend better with the music. It seems like you adjusted something else besides their volume. They kinda poked out a bit before.

All that aside, I once again enjoyed hearing your sparkling voice. I'm always amazed by it's clarity :listeningmusic::guitar:
Thanks!!!
These are great tips also...can't thank you enough!
I've *tried* to tweak the vocal...not sure how successful...
As for the drums point...I'm struggling with that, gonna take me a fair while longer to figure out exactly what is doing that. I'm kind of thinking it's how the song "drifts" a little... (I had a few probs with locking to timing), so I think you can hear the drums differently in the outro, as a lot of that was edited together to add guitar riffs etc, meaning it's a bit more of a patchwork than the main song.
Hmmmmm!

If anyone of you are masochists, the version with your (possibly) fixed/addressed thoughts is here (v3f):

Thanks all for your lovely, kind and super helpful thoughts x

Although.... if you *do* listen...switching the vocal reverb to match the music more (same sound space) has made the vocal *much* louder than the music on speakers, but completely fine on headphones...tricky one! More work to do.....

Last edited:
Wow. You cleaned that up nicely. I like your lead vocal much better, especially with the revised intro section. Your vocal is now well blended into the song.

The performance makes me think of Steely Dan, with the stops, starts and various instruments.

The version in post #7 sounds WAY better than the one in the opening post. Much better mix. Very nicely done. Can you talk us through more about what you did in terms of changes? Because I think you've turned an amateur mix (no offense at all) into something a LOT more polished and pro sounding.

Fantastic effort.

The version in post #7 sounds WAY better than the one in the opening post. Much better mix. Very nicely done. Can you talk us through more about what you did in terms of changes? Because I think you've turned an amateur mix (no offense at all) into something a LOT more polished and pro sounding.

Fantastic effort.
Thanks for showing an interest, means a lot (seriously) !
Ok, so the comments made in this thread helped me A LOT.
And my partner listened on our big lounge speakers and said "wow, the vocal is way loud!". Because you become immune to it, even with several weeks of doing something else (eg cycling), and resting your ears.

I had to crack why it was at least listenable on headphones, but the vocal jumped way louder on speakers. Your brain compensates on headphones a bit, and I often use my phone (Onkyo HF player), and Koss Porta Pros which prob don't do much above 15k ish anyway, whereas my speakers do...
So, whilst I had been focussing on mastering, it was back to the mix to look at the vocal, and the reverb. Some adjustment of a 2nd compressor (which I'd disabled previously - very much an in and out thing, more for character), which was clearly helping some of the fast transients in the vocal, and adding all I can describe as a "fizz" in the vocal sound (which I was REALLY pleased with, as one of the biggest changes). I also reduced the Reverb top end (too much "sparkle"), and a shorter tail. TB Reverb (I only ever use VST freeware) has a "character" setting I started to use.
Then some more vocal level automation, finally getting the level right at the start (and removing the reverb automation there), and moving around slightly the twin guitars to give the vocal a little more space in the crowded parts, and reducing the track level a little here and there. Automation, and compression, and iterate...
Then I boosted the bass guitar specifically in the mix, as trying to do that in the mastering project was of course not just lifting that alone, and I really wanted the bass to pop and be clear a little, rather than mud (who doesn't!).
Finally in the mix, I tried 3 or 4 attempts at getting the fadeout better, smoother, and quicker.

Then it was back to the mastering project, and after listening with added EQ on my phone (on and off), and on various speakers, I realised there was still too much 6-10k energy. Not really a problem, but just discouraged turning it up loud, you know?
Easily addressed with the MEqualizer I was using, 0.5 or 1.0 dB here and there, a bit more saturation too (esp harmonics in the high-end), and a much more aggressive lowpass. I love TDR-Vos-EQ, it really does some interesting things, so I made a LOT of changes to that, just adding sparkle 25k+ keeps the acoustic "shimmer" which I might have trimmed otherwise. Lots of iterations here.
And some final limiter tweaks (less multibanding, more lookahead), and LUFS checks (-16 ish). As you do...!

I made a video (kdenlive - freeware again), and built a few test versions uploaded to private links, because I've long known (as you guys do) that if you get the right rendering settings, the YouTube audio quality within 1080p is way better than eg. SoundCloud. I had to revisit the master a few times, as it seemed to emphasise the treble slightly, all that AAC audio/FLAC thing within MKV I think. Complicated. So I had to tame it, even though I wanted jangly sounding guitars!
The trade-off seemed to be that the left-channel acoustic was now not quite as "shimmer-y" as I wanted, but short of revisiting the mix yet again, I accepted this, as it would probably have taken a bit of energy away from the track too to high-pass it more.

Thanks again for showing an interest, your kind words, and all your help!!! :-)

Last edited:
All help mixing this one super gratefully received!!!!! Kind of some of the things I thought about 2020 when I wrote this one.
All played by me, electric guitar parts (unwisely) on acoustic lol, and tried out my uBass thing.
Really grateful for your viewpoints! (as I've struggled).
Mixcraft recorded, Audient id14 n stuff.

Drums - need to be louder - guitars are good arrangement and for the most part strong - need more definition on some parts - bass is moving along but needs a push - it's a really good part just needs more - like in Silly Love Songs - Vocals I don't know very unusual style that works - just not sitting right yet,

Drums - need to be louder - guitars are good arrangement and for the most part strong - need more definition on some parts - bass is moving along but needs a push - it's a really good part just needs more - like in Silly Love Songs - Vocals I don't know very unusual style that works - just not sitting right yet,
Thanks! Yes, the bass could do with more, more variation, more (of something), but I tried my best (as we all do), and I'm no bass player. Kind of pleased that you referenced Macca there! (big fan - me of him lol).
The vocals - well, that's my crappy voice, and the reason why I don't do too many songs, self-esteem n all that!
Really appreciate you listening and taking the time to comment!

Thanks! Yes, the bass could do with more, more variation, more (of something), but I tried my best (as we all do), and I'm no bass player. Kind of pleased that you referenced Macca there! (big fan - me of him lol).
The vocals - well, that's my crappy voice, and the reason why I don't do too many songs, self-esteem n all that!
Really appreciate you listening and taking the time to comment!

I wouldn't cut you voice - it's unique - and I mean that in a positive way - really gives the song a personality.

Pretty cool, maybe turn the drums up a little, around 2:30 and onward I'm wanting them to be more balanced with the rest of the instruments. Personally, I would shape the bass tone with EQ a bit more and get less flabby sound and more low/high tones out of it, but that might be your preference for the bass tone. I listened to post 7 btw. nice job

Back