Live classic rock band

StackableMusic

Hi all,

Last week my friend's classic rock cover band played a concert in a local park and I went out and recorded it onto my laptop. There were about a million cables involved.

I've pretty much finished mixing the tracks down (There were 24 songs and an intro, totalling 88 minutes :eek: ) and I'd like your thoughts on some mixes:

"Brandy":

"Doctor Doctor"

Your comments would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first paid recording gig and I'd like for it to turn out good.

Thanks!
Clint

Listened to "Brandy".....band sounds great! Impressed with vocals, recording is well balanced/mixed to my ears with all instruments clearly audible.....I like the sound of the bass guitar in this mix.....the drums sound a litlle "middy" to me, maybe lacking a bit of highs..

"Doctor,Doctor" , a bit more of a rocker ...guitar is a bit more up front here....great vocals....drums sound a bit better on this than "Brandy"...
I think you did a fine job and the band will be happy with what you have captured!

one thing i'm noticing on Brandy is that the backing vocals seem louder/bigger than the lead vocal. but everything sounds good, i think the drums sound fine. i agree with variaxman about the bass tone, sounds awesome.

Thanks for listening, gentlemen!

That backing vocal thing is absolutely true but there unfortunately isn't too much I could do about it, as the only way I could get everything into the firepod was to submix all the vocals to 1 mono stem. (kick, snare, 2 OHs, 2 guitars, Bass, vocals). They have 4 vocalists so there was no way I could record each of them to their own track, though that would have been nice. They're such good singers that it's not usually a problem, but when they do a call-and-response like in "Brandy" it was.

The bass tone was just a direct box right into the board and then into the firepod. I compressed and eq'd it a little but I guess I must attribute any tone quality down to the guy's axe and his technique.

Thanks again!

Back