little home studio mixers

Maybe I should bring back the alesis. How would I hook up the yamaha to the computer then? The guy told me I would need an interface for it? Let me know how it's done.

guitardude said:
How would I hook up the yamaha to the computer then?

The same way you would hook up any analog mixer to your pc.
A SoundBlaster will do.

If you want the mixer to be used so you can recorde on the pc use the line input on the soundcard.

If you want the PC to be an input on the mixer use the line out or speaker out.

Peavey PV8?

You might also consider the Peavey PV8. It's comparable in price and features to the Yamaha. Excellent quality pres, IMHO. Were it not for a few subtle differences, I'd think it was the same piece of hardware as the Yamaha. They look almost identical, paint job notwithstanding.

The Peavey has a pre-fader monitor send and a post-fader effects send, while the Yamaha only has one of those (not sure which). The Peavey has four mono channels, while the Yamaha can take stereo for the last two if you don't use the mic pres. The Peavey has extra switches to route tape return to main or to headphones, a "contour" switch (don't want to know) and a switchable 60 Hz low cut. I also like that you pretty much have to have a ball-point pen to turn on/off phantom on the Peavey, so it's impossible to accidentally bump with a ribbon mic hooked up. :D

Anyway, either way, Yamaha or Peavey, I think you'll be happy with it. They both make generally high quality hardware.

dgatwood said:
The Peavey has a pre-fader monitor send and a post-fader effects send, while the Yamaha only has one of those (not sure which).
The MG10/2 has BOTH pre- and post-fade sends, on one centre-detented pot. Turn it to the left, and you have pre-fade (Aux 1) and turn it to the right for post-fade (Aux 2). Not the ideal solution (especially considering there are no master Aux sends, so you better get a healthy signal at the channels, but still a very cool way of getting more into less space.

Nik :)

Back