LISTEN LIKE BRIAN with VOCALS

OK folks - I've applied all suggestions to both stereo & mono (except the less reverb on the solo for the mono - it works as is) & have tweaked the snare drum a little. Rob recorded new vocals & they are in this as well.
What thoughts?
OH, sorry! I did find a click - it was on the vocal track and may have been a tongue thing. - gone now (Ihope it was the right one).

The vocals are better - more confident sounding maybe? I forgot to ask what mic/interface/effects used as they sounds really smooth. The reverb on the solo definitely should stay as it adds that surf vibe. Cool flange intro as well

I liked it, kick was a little heavy, but that is a taste thing. I think the vocals are so much better, I bet another go at it would that much more improved. Confidence as ido stated. Everything is so well rehearsed, one more go on the vocals would make it a really strong piece.

Really good work through. This is another good lesson for folks the new folks on board that shows the process to make a really good presentation of material. Nice job.

Cool track. I definitely think the vocal performance is definitely better on the most recent take. For a track like this, the vocals are a bit echo-y for my taste (although I am guilty of putting too much reverb on all my tracks :)). I think the overall mix is good. There is something about the rhythm guitar in the intro that bothers me a bit though...maybe the timing is just a bit loose? It just seems to drag a little. It's better later in the song. Maybe try chopping / editing up those first few bars and see if you can make it tighter?

Yeah, I agree that this latest version with the new vocals is way better. I think this is one of your better mixes ray. Good work by everyone involved.

Thanks a lot ido, DM, jamie and heat for coming back in. I cringed every time I heard the earlier one with the pitch issues and weak bits, but I was too burned out on it to face re-recording. Anyway, after a break, I enjoyed getting back to it and I'm much happier with the result - being stronger, it's buried under less vst gunk than last time around, and so has a better clarity I think. Good to hear other folks think so too.

ido - nice to hear the vocals sound pretty smooth. The main vocal is four tracks - one loud one centred, thickened by a left, a right and a centre panned take much lower.

The recording chain is an SM58/pop shield into an old yamaha 4 track that I use as a pre-amp, fed into an even older tascam us-122 and then into Ableton. In terms of processing, I used a similar chain to what I normally use for vocals - the spitfish de-esser, ableton's stock Compressor 2 (which I still like more than any other comp plug-in I've tried), a couple of saturation/warmer plugs, a stock ableton EQ as a high pass filter, Smartelectronix' Nyquist EQ to give a little more presence in the mids, the stock ableton reverb and then the Analogic Delay at the end. Other than that it's all entirely natural :laughings:

Jamie - I could have endlessly tweaked delay levels on this - in the end I pushed them a little as I think it adds to the slightly psych feeling of the song. Thanks for your thoughts.

IThis is another good lesson for folks the new folks on board that shows the process to make a really good presentation of material. Nice job.

Yeah, I always enjoy Ray's threads for this reason too - you sometimes get to see stuff develop from an earlier stage than where most posters are prepared to share. It was cool to be involved with :cool:

In terms of processing, I used a similar chain to what I normally use for vocals - the spitfish de-esser, ableton's stock Compressor 2 (which I still like more than any other comp plug-in I've tried), a couple of saturation/warmer plugs, a stock ableton EQ as a high pass filter, Smartelectronix' Nyquist EQ to give a little more presence in the mids, the stock ableton reverb and then the Analogic Delay at the end. Other than that it's all entirely natural :laughings:

Holy shit! That is the longest chain of anything I've ever heard of. Natural indeed :p :D!

I think it's pretty good. Vocals do sound better. I'd like em a little drier, but that's just me. I'd also like the rhythm guitars up a tiny bit more. Maybe spread the toms a little wider.

I probably missed a couple of interim versions. But anyway...

I'm having a bit of trouble hearing the vocals in the mono version. A word or two here and there gets covered by the guitars. The BGV's are tough to hear throughout. The levels are fine in the stereo version.

Still don't like that "flangy stuff" in the intro. :)

Otherwise it's sounding pretty good. I like the dirty guitars. Kind of an early Neil Young guitar sound if you ask me.

Hey Rob,
I like the pres in my Yamaha 4 track too! I use 'em often.
I'll try Greg's ideas generally and MMM's thoughts re the mono.
The only effect on any guitars in the song are the leslie on the intro lead and the reverb on the solo. Where's the flangy bit? I'll have to relisten to the guitar buss to find the concern.

I really like the new vocal and the mix is really getting there. I have nothing to add to the above really. I'd prefer the vocals a little louder overall but I could hear everything OK.

I truly can listen like Brian as I hear the world in Mono too. :thumbs up:

Oh, you do mean the effect on the lead in the intro!
I thought it was on one of the rhythm guitars.
Ok, j'comprehend!
I've followed most of your suggestions on this one but I'll demure re the flannnggger.

Last edited:
I'm listening to the latest stereo mix. Sounds pretty good. So 70's, I like it.

I think you did great with the bass and kick blend. The bass has a bit of a Dave Schools influence, driving top end. I really like the tone of the solo guitar, too.

Okay, the mono version queued up, I like the stereo version much better. Call me 'new school'. :)

Thanks for sharing your art.

STEREO

MONO

Here are the latest mixes.
heaps of trouble uploading these - seems my LAME cpnverter was lame today.
The changes are slight: an 1/2 dB boost to the rhythm guitars on both, the same level change to vocals on the mono version and the toms panned a little wider on the stereo version.
As children are want to say on a car trip...
"Are we there yet?"

Last edited:
Thanks Chili,
I'll have to look up dave School/s now.
Rob seems to have hit the lead tone on the head for this track - good lad he is!
Ok, found Widespread Picnic (I mean Panic) - modern Dead style band? Seemed pretty cool. I'll have to listen to some more.

Yeah that's him. You've got the same picked bass sound that cuts right through a mix. I like that.

and Wide Spread "Picnic" is pretty funny.

Thanks a lot for coming back in again guys - probably would have settled for something not as good if it weren't for the repeated good ears on here!

Damn you for getting such a good sound out of an SM58 !!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Ido - your mixes are always very smooth, so I'll take that as a compliment. One of the (few) advantages of having quite a limited range of recording equipment for a long period of time I think - you make do with what you have available! :D

Holy shit! That is the longest chain of anything I've ever heard of. Natural indeed :p :D!

I know, I know. Is this not a pretty typical DAW chain though? Other than the reverb and delay, I think everything else is used pretty sparsely - I could use just one saturation plug and one EQ, but I tend to use them both differently - like with the EQ for example, I prefer how one cuts and the other one boosts.

Back